Hey Я'll [y'all] get it...,

I have a Ti-82 with a Cyrillic "Ya" imprinted on the back. Does anyone have any idea why this is?

In case you don't know "Я" or "Ya" means "I"/"Myself" in Russian and is the last letter of the Russian alphabet.

I just think it's strange that someone would print "Я" on the back of the calculator as this is an uncommon letter in names. I do know a Bulgarian fellow named "Stroyan"/"Строяан", so I guess it's not super uncommon.

Here's a Google Drive Folder with the photos of the calc that I took on my terrible Flip-Phone :
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bWzf1bhufKXhWepXlODXDi6FOqVWqXIH?usp=sharing

Cheers!
That's quite odd; it looks like it has been engraved fairly professionally, rather than scratched with a knife, as most etched names on calculators tend to be. My unsupported guess is that it's a marking from a school that had a class set of these, identifying their calculators.
KermMartian wrote:
That's quite odd; it looks like it has been engraved fairly professionally, rather than scratched with a knife, as most etched names on calculators tend to be. My unsupported guess is that it's a marking from a school that had a class set of these, identifying their calculators.

OMG! Kerm replied to my post!

And yeah that's probably what it is...

Do you know if the Ti-82 was distributed to Russia?

EDIT :
I got it on eBay from a US seller for roughly $10 making the problem even thicker.
I don't know what that is, but I can confirm that I've seen at least a handful of TI-82s with that specific marking on them floating around on ebay. I've always assumed it was some school that did that. I've noticed that the vast majority of classroom sets were of the 1995 revisions (Q and R specifically), which makes the school theory even more plausible. Remember, this was before they introduced ez-spot models, so most schools just either put a sticker on them, stamped them or sharpied a number on them.

EDIT: CVSoft says TI used to put an "R" on refurbished calculators and for some reason it was sometimes reversed like the one you have.
Yeah it kind of looks like it could have been engraved with some kind of stencil - as Kerm mentioned it's likely part of a set.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours