I'm not ragging on Pokemon Purple. From what I can see, it is a pretty neat game.
Thanks. I am going to try really hard to make it compete with the flash version that is being built... Smile I know in the long run it will lose, but it will be one of the largest BASIC games ever constructed...
/me is thinking about C+DCS = OMG PWNG
KermMartian wrote:
/me is thinking about C+DCS = OMG PWNG

lol, I assume by C you mean using the SDCC compiler?
Precisely. Imagine being able to build C programs with GUIs for calculators...mmmm. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Precisely. Imagine being able to build C programs with GUIs for calculators...mmmm. Smile

yup, the overhead of using C appears to be relatively low, as SDCC does a rather good job at optimizing (i think - lol), and while all the pushes and pops slow it down, being able to do a recursive function call quickly makes up for that Wink
KermMartian wrote:

That would be awesome! It would be just like making programs for the 68k calcs, in that both could be programmed using C. C might become the universal language used for calculators too. It could be just like Java in that programs would work on any calculator. It would be awesome!
something1990 wrote:
It could be just like Java in that programs would work on any calculator.

Pretty weak example as half the time Java DOESN'T "just work", lol

Besides, I'm not following the same includes/libraries that TIGCC has
I guess something like HTML would be a better example, but that is just text... It would be a good idea though.
something1990 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

That would be awesome! It would be just like making programs for the 68k calcs, in that both could be programmed using C. C might become the universal language used for calculators too. It could be just like Java in that programs would work on any calculator. It would be awesome!

No, I think the hardware differences are too great. There'd have to be a custom interpreter on-calc that interprets the code so that ROM calls aren't mixed up. Plus, there's the problem of getting software to send a .89z to a z80 calc.
kirb wrote:
No, I think the hardware differences are too great. There'd have to be a custom interpreter on-calc that interprets the code so that ROM calls aren't mixed up. Plus, there's the problem of getting software to send a .89z to a z80 calc.

i think he meant that you write the program in C, and could then compile it for a 68k, then re-compile it for a z80. That would theoretically be possible if someone ports all the 68k libs over to z80. Then for a calc-specific command, you could ifdef it so that it only compiles for that calc
He meant that it would be similar to the 68k series in that we wouldn't have to singlestep through asm for ages trying to find bugs.
KermMartian wrote:
He meant that it would be similar to the 68k series in that we wouldn't have to singlestep through asm for ages trying to find bugs.

yeah, instead you only have to single step through the asm for each new library routine, and only then by one person...
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

yeah, instead you only have to single step through the asm for each new library routine, and only then by one person...

Exactly, and that will save everyone massive amounts of time in the long run. The only thing to be aware of is how sensitive the routines are to invalid input - make sure you put in as much error checking as possible to prevent unexpected crashes.
Well I meant it like Killhorn and Kerm said. It would be incredibly easier to learn C, and a compiler can be made to compile for the different calcs. Then DCS will be available for all calcs, with all programs (at least DCS programs made in C) being cross-compaible. It would indeed be awesome.
KermMartian wrote:
Well, I'll just start working on it in all my free time then. Wink You're quite commendable for your effort then.

lol, Kerm, I think you have enough to do Wink (actually making "wrappers" for functions - like bcalls - isn't hard at all and only takes a few lines of code, so to incorporate all the DCS callable routines would be quite easy given enough info)
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Well, I'll just start working on it in all my free time then. Wink You're quite commendable for your effort then.

lol, Kerm, I think you have enough to do Wink (actually making "wrappers" for functions - like bcalls - isn't hard at all and only takes a few lines of code, so to incorporate all the DCS callable routines would be quite easy given enough info)
That was sarcasm btw. Indeed, it would.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours