A program that translates between two languages. Since this would probably be INSANELY big, you can have sub programs/lists/whatever for each language, with the main one being English. Then, if anybody needs a different language, they delete their sub-language and put on a different sub-language one.

I don't know if somebody's suggested this, but I bet many people would use this.
I don't know about other characters but the ti84+ came with language packs already installed.
lafferjm wrote:
I don't know about other characters but the ti84+ came with language packs already installed.

I'm talking about a translator, not a language pack.
There was a Latin translator (I think Kerm made it, actually), but it was really more of a dictionary, and my calculator wouldn't run it anyway.

Shame, since I really needed (and still do) that program. I'm constantly failing Latin due to my inability to memorize vocabulary.
why don't you start with something simpler, like a conjugator? This would let you build up some subroutines which could later serve in a translator, and still be useful on its own... =D
rthprog wrote:
why don't you start with something simpler, like a conjugator? This would let you build up some subroutines which could later serve in a translator, and still be useful on its own... =D
Sounds like a smart move. Sidebar: I don't think Latin would be a good language to start with, due to the way word endings warp the word meaning. You're better off with one of the Romance languages in my opinion.
KermMartian wrote:
rthprog wrote:
Sounds like a smart move. Sidebar: I don't think Latin would be a good language to start with, due to the way word endings warp the word meaning. You're better off with one of the Romance languages in my opinion.

if you actually take this on, it would be beneficial for you to decide how you will actually be managing the huge amounts of data you will have for irregular verbs
-storing in strings would be ideal because you would be able to use the inString and sub commands; for example put a ":" + infinitive so that there is little wasted space
-you could also store a LOT of information and keep it all archived by storing it in a program and reading everything through Celtic2. However you would have to create some system so that finding a verb wouldn't be a pain.
rthprog wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
rthprog wrote:

if you actually take this on, it would be beneficial for you to decide how you will actually be managing the huge amounts of data you will have for irregular verbs
-storing in strings would be ideal because you would be able to use the inString and sub commands; for example put a ":" + infinitive so that there is little wasted space
-you could also store a LOT of information and keep it all archived by storing it in a program and reading everything through Celtic2. However you would have to create some system so that finding a verb wouldn't be a pain.
Can you clarify that? Do you mean finding the verb in a sentence or finding a verb in the program's dictionary? Either way, in what sense is that harder than finding nouns that are pluralized strangely, etc?
KermMartian wrote:
Can you clarify that? Do you mean finding the verb in a sentence or finding a verb in the program's dictionary? Either way, in what sense is that harder than finding nouns that are pluralized strangely, etc?

finding a verb in the program's dictionary... and irregularly conjugated sentences will require you to use this dictionary anyways....

now that I think about it, he might as well just make a direct, 1-1 association system. Thus English to Spanish would result in improperly congugated sentences with a rough meaning, while Spanish to English would have a better, but still rough, meaning. Sure, it would require a HUGE lib, but still fundamentally it could work... Laughing albeit not very well

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours