I was interested in trying to figure out how to use the .net framework with C++, but cannot find documentation anywhere, everything I find points to C#. Does anyone know off hand any locations where I could find documentation.

Also, googling for the mscorlib.dll didn't turn up any information either.
http://tinyurl.com/ykq2s9w
I have been googling that and like I said all it turns up is a bunch of C# documentation.
lafferjm wrote:
I have been googling that and like I said all it turns up is a bunch of C# documentation.

Look at the third search result.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
lafferjm wrote:

Hell, the first search result works too.

@lafferjm: MS has a version of C++ that runs in .NET. It is C++ CLR, and it has some syntax changes from pure C++. If you want pure C++ to call .NET stuff, then you have to do an unmanaged C++ call to managed C++, or you can use COM.

The real question is why do you want to use the .NET framework from C++?
The only good thing about .NET is C#. Using it with C++ is just silly.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
lafferjm wrote:

Hell, the first search result works too.

@lafferjm: MS has a version of C++ that runs in .NET. It is C++ CLR, and it has some syntax changes from pure C++. If you want pure C++ to call .NET stuff, then you have to do an unmanaged C++ call to managed C++, or you can use COM.

The real question is why do you want to use the .NET framework from C++?

No idea i just do.
@foamy: The only thing about c# though from some samples i have seen it looks a lot like java and I don't want to mix the two together.
lafferjm wrote:
No idea i just do.
@foamy: The only thing about c# though from some samples i have seen it looks a lot like java and I don't want to mix the two together.

No, C# is a good language. Java is utterly retarded. C# is much closer to C++ than Java.

Also, if you don't know why you want to do something then you shouldn't do it.
lafferjm wrote:
From: http://www.javacoffeebreak.com/java101/java101.html

There are a lot of syntactic similarities Smile

You do realize you just tried to use "Hello, World!" as evidence to support your claim, right? Of course there are *SOME* syntactic similarities, both are derived from C's syntax and both are OO languages. The two languages are very, very different.
C# is by far my favorite language, and I wouldn't go near Java unless I was getting paid. Your 1 line program may look similar, but it doesn't go much farther than that.
C++/CLI is probably what you're looking for, but it's a pretty ugly language to work with. If you have an existing unmanaged API and wish to wrap it up for use in .NET, it's a good choice (see SlimDX for example) but if you want to write a new app that is mostly managed code I'd steer well clear of it.

See here for comparisons between C#/C++ and C#/Java.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours