wooh. This is a sweet map. I'd love to stick this in core and not just as an add-on. The only thing I noticed was that I occasionally seem to fall through some of the surfaces.
[edit]
Shiznit, I have an odd theory, if you still have a copy QuArK on your computer, save a copy of the models in .map format (normal save as menu), and try running that through QuArK's copy of map2dif_plus, and tell me what happens.
I noticed that too. It seems to happen when the fall animation is playing while impacting a slanted surface, so I'm not entirely convinced it's my models, although the sources are included if you want to investigate that further.

If you want to add it to the core, go right ahead, I was just using this as an experiment to ease myself into Freebuild modding. Although the terrain will panic if it can't find my texture folder, so you may have to do some rearranging if you add it. One advantage to doing this is my lightbulbs(and biglight fx) would be available to all mappers.

EDIT- I'll try what you said with QuArK, of course that's a legacy DIF format that might not look as nice.
DShiznit wrote:
I noticed that too. It seems to happen when the fall animation is playing while impacting a slanted surface, so I'm not entirely convinced it's my models, although the sources are included if you want to investigate that further.

If you want to add it to the core, go right ahead, I was just using this as an experiment to ease myself into Freebuild modding. Although the terrain will panic if it can't find my texture folder, so you may have to do some rearranging if you add it. One advantage to doing this is my lightbulbs(and biglight fx) would be available to all mappers.

OH, I wonder if that's related to the issues with being able to phase through ceilings when going crouch->standing. I just haven't noticed the falling issue on other interior maps so I thought I'd mention it.

[edit]

The other thing you could do to make things look a little nicer (on the exterior of the spaceship) would be to use the "as one" texturing option to get rid of some of the inter-face seams. Go into face selection mode, and grab the exterior of the ship, then select as one and stretch to fit.
elfprince13 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

OH, I wonder if that's related to the issues with being able to phase through ceilings when going crouch->standing. I just haven't noticed the falling issue on other interior maps so I thought I'd mention it.

Elf I have been able to fall through some surfaces in KermCave as well though that might be a map bug and not a FB issue, I'm not sure.
QuArK does not have it's own exporter, you have to download one separately, and I'm fairly certain I'd be downloading the same exe Constructor uses(especially since the names are identical).
DShiznit wrote:
QuArK does not have it's own exporter, you have to download one separately, and I'm fairly certain I'd be downloading the same exe Constructor uses(especially since the names are identical).

You won't be actually. Everything i've read said Constructor does not export via map2dif_plus, but via it's own mechanism, which is why I think it's so glitchy (map2dif_plus has a pretty long development history and constructor is relatively new). Also, the version of map2dif_plus that comes with Constructor appears to be broken (won't export at all....) on my computer. The downside is the map2dif_plus doesn't support all of the cool features that Constructor does (like baked-in static meshes), but it does appear to be a bit more stable. I'm pretty sure my hobbit holes would have caused Constructor to crap itself.

I guess there's a bit of a tradeoff between ease of use and feature set and stability here, but I'm hoping if your experiment works that we can still use Constructor for nice modelling abilities, and just export differently.
QuArK can't import constructor .map files, citing a syntax error.
DShiznit wrote:
QuArK can't import constructor .map files, citing a syntax error.

grawr. I'll take some time to dig into Constructor/QuArK cross compatibility.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours