Which solution should we go for?
Standard parallel LCD is fine (must use soldering kit)
 25%  [ 2 ]
Use a shift register to cut down on the # of used I/O pins (+$1.50)
 12%  [ 1 ]
Use a serial LCD to further cut down on the # of used I/O pins (+$15)
 37%  [ 3 ]
Build the serial interface yourself (+$5)
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

As you all may know, the LCD that is currently in the kit is a parallel LCD that must have wires soldered to it to be used. Also, this LCD requires 13 I/O pins to be used on the Arduino/Freeduino, which is a pretty hefty burden considering the Arduino Duemilanove only has 14 I/O pins. Here are the solutions I see:

1. Use the LCD as it is in the kit (must have a soldering iron & solder to use) and sacrifice 13 I/O pins

2. Buy a shift register and use only 8 I/O pins on the Arduino (still requires the soldering kit, but $1.50 shift register will get you 5 more I/O pins to play with)

3. Buy a serial LCD and use only 2 I/O pins on the Arduino (saves you the most I/O pins for use, does not require the soldering kit but is $15 more than the cost of the parallel LCD)

4. Build the serial backpack for the LCD yourself (same setup as #3, except you build the serial interface yourself and you still need to get the soldering kit, along with an ATmega168 and 16MHz resonator for $5).

EDIT: here's the ranking of solutions from "easiest" to "hardest" to perform (IMO):

It seems the majority is okay with a parallel LCD, so the "solder kit" gets to keep the parallel LCD, while the "solder-free kit" now has a serial LCD that doesn't require soldering (of course you can always upgrade to the serial LCD regardless).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours