It would be cool if you could set a separate gravity for a brick to walk on walls.

Lol I think this is my 3rd idea topic...
I'd love that.

I had the same idea sometime ago, but with platforms that change the "players gravity" so after you step on a platform you could walk on walls or roof.
huh, I thought I replied to this already. I guess not.

Player objects can't currently handle free rotation, so at the moment this won't work Sad
elfprince13 wrote:
huh, I thought I replied to this already. I guess not.

Player objects can't currently handle free rotation, so at the moment this won't work Sad

You could simulate it.
What if there was a horizontal player model designed to be used when such feature was activated?
Or, what if, when gravity was activated, you just walked on the wall as if you were climbing it?
my preference would be to do it right and implement free player rotation. Such a resource exists on GG. It's just a very complicated thing to do, and I'd prefer to wait on doing it.
MBG had gravity changing, but it was on TGEA
I didn't say no gravity changing. I said you won't be able to do it and plant your feet on the wall.
Oh if only the player model would rotate such that its feet would always point in the current direction of grav--wait.

do you realize the possibilities? we could recreate SUPER MARIO FRICKIN' GALAXY if we worked hard enough

Except lag. Lots and lots of lag from having to calculate multiple gravity sources for multiple objects.

A guy can dream though amirite
GreyMario wrote:
Oh if only the player model would rotate such that its feet would always point in the current direction of grav--wait.

Like I said, I'd like to be able do free rotation with players, especially for my Battleroom map, it's just not on the short-term goals.

GreyMario wrote:
do you realize the possibilities? we could recreate SUPER MARIO FRICKIN' GALAXY if we worked hard enough

SUPER MINIFIG GALAXY!

GreyMario wrote:
Except lag. Lots and lots of lag from having to calculate multiple gravity sources for multiple objects.

How dynamic are the planets? Roughly calculating gravitational pull between them and the player is fairly easy (vector addition and the standard gravity equations). Getting them to interact with each other would be a little more work.
The planets in Galaxy don't pull on each other. Some gravitational sources do move, though.
The first thing that came to my mind when I thought of this was Shattered Horizon Very Happy

I'm all for this idea. That'd be awesome for space maps! Smile

Would be nice if you could make it so that when placing a brick, the bricks axis would change according to the parent's gravity? Not quite sure how possible this would be.

Example: Have a baseplate that's rotated 90* on the Y-axis (sideways), and when you shoot at the baseplate to place a brick, the ghost brick is already 90* and the axis (up/down/right/left/forward/backward movements) are translated accordingly. This is a bit more complixated, but it'd be pretty siick ;D
swivelgames wrote:
The first thing that came to my mind when I thought of this was Shattered Horizon Very Happy

I'm all for this idea. That'd be awesome for space maps! Smile

Would be nice if you could make it so that when placing a brick, the bricks axis would change according to the parent's gravity? Not quite sure how possible this would be.

Example: Have a baseplate that's rotated 90* on the Y-axis (sideways), and when you shoot at the baseplate to place a brick, the ghost brick is already 90* and the axis (up/down/right/left/forward/backward movements) are translated accordingly. This is a bit more complixated, but it'd be pretty siick ;D

I can't get the image of a gunk fortress out of my head where bricks have just been thrown together in entirely random rotations.
Well, with my idea you could effectively create a massive asteroid (or even a mini planet!) and build different structures on all sides of the axis of it! Very Happy
This would allow for... well, interesting results.

I've allready suggested zero gravity on the TBG bounty source.
this is slightly different from null g. Instead it's gravity with variable direction.
What about a switch that turns the player's gravity on the way where it's rotated? Like if it's rotated upside down the player that touches the switch turns upside down.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours