Im downloading new games, so far Im getting Prototype and Just Cause 2, already have Farcry, Lego Indiana Jones 2, and Rise & Fall.

please dont include anything that needs purchasing through steam (nor any valve games like TF2 or Portal)
I posted a topic a little while back with a bunch of games that have been released for free.

http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4247
Warcraft III + Frozen Throne. *Particularly if you can host a virtual lan*
Starcraft, but good luck getting on Battle.net. There are some private servers, though (like iCCup).
xlibman wrote:
Starcraft, but if you download it, good luck getting on Battle.net. There are some private servers, though (like iCCup).

It's the same thing with Warcraft III (Reign of Chaos/Frozen Throne/DotA), which is why I said virtual LANing would be good.
I kinda ment "newer" games, like Just Cause 2 (which wont run for me)

Quote:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: JustCause2_Game.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 4ba03352
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdbdf
Exception Code: c06d007e
Exception Offset: 0000b727
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
If you haven't tried them yet, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and Fallout 3
If you're talking about new games and downloading without using Steam it sounds like you're pirating games.
He doesn't actually have the money to pay for new games, if piracy didn't exist, he'd just play less, and get what games he could from cheaper secondhand sources; they were never getting a sale out of him either way.
DShiznit wrote:
He doesn't actually have the money to pay for new games, if piracy didn't exist, he'd just play less, and get what games he could from cheaper secondhand sources; they were never getting a sale out of him either way.

Irrelevant justifications are irrelevant.

Dontar: Get a job or save and get Orange Box ($30) and Left 4 Dead 2 ($30). Those will keep you occupied for months.
Not new, but there are a bunch of games that can be played with ScummVM that have been released for free.
Kllrnohj wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Irrelevant justifications are irrelevant.

Dontar: Get a job or save and get Orange Box ($30) and Left 4 Dead 2 ($30). Those will keep you occupied for months.

It's not irrelevant at all. Without piracy he'd just go to the next cheapest source; the developers are never and will never get a penny out of him. The same goes for most other pirates.
DShiznit wrote:
It's not irrelevant at all. Without piracy he'd just go to the next cheapest source; the developers are never and will never get a penny out of him. The same goes for most other pirates.

So then he should go to the next cheapest source NOW. Developers would see some of that since whoever is selling the used games is going to have more money to buy new games. See how that works?

Or he should not be a cheap ass and spend $30 on Orange Box - 5 of the greatest games of all time for $30? Yes please!
Kllrnohj wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

So then he should go to the next cheapest source NOW. Developers would see some of that since whoever is selling the used games is going to have more money to buy new games. See how that works?

Or he should not be a cheap ass and spend $30 on Orange Box - 5 of the greatest games of all time for $30? Yes please!

Buying used games costs less than new games, the seller wouldn't even recoup their initial losses, much less make a profit they can pass on to a developer.
[quote="Kllrnohj"]
DShiznit wrote:

not everyone likes those types of games

TF2, bullshit ugly, didnt even like TFC..

portal? pfft.

already have Half-Life 2, CS : S, and DoD : S (all legit from wal-mart)
Kllrnohj wrote:
[...]Orange Box - 5 of the greatest games of all time for $30? Yes please![...]
Yeah.... Smile

Dontar wrote:
not everyone likes those types of games

TF2, a ugly, didnt even like TFC..

portal? pfft.

already have Half-Life 2, CS:S, and DoD:S (all legit from wal-mart)
Last time I checked Counter-Strike: Source and Day Of Defeat: Source didn't have anything to do with The Orange Box. And pfft @ Portal? What are you insane?

I have to agree with you on the TF2 part, though. I'm not a big fan of it. But the Half-Life series + Portal = Helll yeah...

DShiznit wrote:
Buying used games costs less than new games, the seller wouldn't even recoup their initial losses, much less make a profit they can pass on to a developer.

*cough* bullsh*t *cough*
Impact of Used Games Sales on the Industry - Page 3 wrote:
"New games in the U.S. this year will be $10 to $12 billion, so 8 to 10% of the total dollars used to buy new games this year will be from currency from Gamestop's trade-in program," said DeMatteo. "What we see is that consumers want to buy new games, but they don't have the cash because our trades go up as our new game sales go up. They're using trade-ins to buy games because more money is going into their gas tank. It's a source of currency that helps drive the videogame business. I think the argument that it competes with the new games is false."
The reason I quoted was only to back the logical statement I am about to write out that took no research or advanced thought processing skills to generate: The money earned by selling used games is more often then not directly related to the developer's earning more money. You see, I have $30, I sell an old game I bought for $60 for $20. Now I have $50 and can go buy another game. (The main reason for selling used games is to buy new games). The developers have now earned $110. Though, the developers didn't earn $60 from the person who bought my game, they were unlikely to see that money from that person anyway, so instead they earn $50 more instead of none. Anyway, I could go all deep into all this but I'm tired and don't really care much anymore.

Point is to continue this debate is stupid because to say that developers don't get perks from the secondhand market is just ridiculous. Yeah, technically if the secondhand market didn't exist they might get more money, but the fact is it does. And because it does, it makes them more money then pirating does. It's called economics. You'll learn it your Senior year in high school, and if not, in college. Just be sure to pay attention in class and ask questions Smile

Code:
Cai, Michael. "Video Game OverView Report"
     Interpret, LLC. 2009.  Web. 15 Apr. 2010.
     <http://interpretllc.com/_downloads/impact_of_used_game_sales_on_the_industry.pdf>.
I'm not talking about Gamestop, they're an enormous ripoff. I'm talking about individuals with jobs, that sell their old games for $10 on craigslist or Amazon or eBay. They buy their new games(if they buy new games) with money they were already earning from their existing jobs, not the infinitesimal amount they got from getting rid of their old games, half of which covers shipping anyway. That being said, this is not the topic for this discussion, THIS topic is about what Dontar should pirate(or buy secondhand), not whether he should pirate.
Yarg, I like Oblivion and Bioshock 2

Bioshock 1 is interesting so far
Oblivion is worth buying if you can find a special edition with the guide to the empire and the expansion packs for a decent price.
DShiznit wrote:
Oblivion is worth buying if you can find a special edition with the guide to the empire and the expansion packs for a decent price.

which is what I will probably do so I can have a good CD/DVD incase I have problems.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours