Hello, i wish to decompile a TI-89 application (.89k) but IDA Pro seems to be not able to decompile such files. There is some IDA processor extension who i should know?
(or some converter or another RCE platform?)

Edit: This is what i found until now.... if helps to compose file structure
http://merthsoft.com/linkguide/ti89/fformat.html
Welcome to Cemetech, ultrakiller! Please feel free to Introduce Yourself in the topic we have for that purpose if you get a chance. I trust you already made an effort to get in touch with the original author of the application? We generally frown on reverse-engineering with the goal of circumventing copyright or protections, but assuming that's not the case, there's a few bits of info that might help you. First of all, are you running IDA Pro with some Motorola 68000 (68k) disassembler? If not, you're using the wrong settings. It's also worth mentioning that because we have gcc for the 68k calculators, I imagine we also have gdb, which might help you.
No one copyright violation at all. I's a reversing engeneering oriented to research (which is allowed in many countries laws, including mine), not a license violation. Clarified this point we should look forward. Rolling Eyes

I've also tryied to open such file with right architecture too (with processor estension set to Motorola 68000 (68k)). But autoanalysis fails anyway.
I have reason to think that the .89k is different than the expected in process estension. Some advieces?
Which TI-68k FlashApp (or set of FlashApps), precisely, are you trying to reverse-engineer, and what part thereof ?

The behaviour you're seeing shows that IDA Pro does not contain special support for the format of TI-68k (or TI-Z80, I guess) FlashApps.
The link you found is a mirror of the libti* documentation, which describes the outer format (computer-side wrapper) of a FlashApp file; the documentation of the (calculator-side) format of a FlashApp is available within the file known as "sdk8992pguide.pdf".

Last but not least, are you convinced that static reverse-engineering software is the most appropriate for the reverse-engineering that you're trying to perform ?
Thank you for yor reply Lionel Debroux.
My goal is just to make IDA Pro works with 89k, not a specific porpouse to reverse for the moment, i wish to be able to check my own applications.

Anyway do you have advices about someone else debugger or decompiler who i should use?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours