SInce you bought the computer, you could try looking on the back to see if it has a Windows sticker on it. It should have a serial number that you can put in for the license key, and if that doesn't work you can call Microsoft and they should get you a new license for it.

If you can take calling a corperation to save 200 bucks.
To mirror the updated first post:

Quote:
This is fixed, it was a software issue (as GW-Basic brought up) and resolved with a reinstall of Windows 7, back to a trial version. I'm now working on getting the PC updated in the interim. I've populated the specs below more accurately (added PSU and detailed the RAM). Once I get the hardware up to fluff I'll buy Windows 7 and I'll be golden.

• Now, I plan to update my CPU but will my Motherboard need an update as well?
  • Could I get by with just adding a GPU?
  • If I have to update the Motherboard & CPU, should I switch to Intel?
  • 4.1Ghz Quad Core AMD is $140 while a 3.4Ghz Quad Core Intel is $220. Why is this and should it be a factor one way or the other?

That's all my new questions for now, nothing GPU related. I'm looking at new cases and switching to Intel isn't a concern since I will register Windows after this is all said and done; since I'm using the trial period to get everything up and beyond par.

Code:

Mobo:     MSI 880GM-E35
HDD:      75GB
CPU:      AMD Athlon(trn) II X4 645 3.1Ghz (Quad Core)
GPU:      N/A
PSU:      Cooler Master RS-460-PMSR-A3
RAM:      8GB (4GBx2 Corsair Vengeance LP, 1333Mhz)
Let me throw you a benchmark for the A10-6800K vs. an i5-3470 (slightly lower specs on the i5 comparison, but still) leaning towards the i5 being stronger for general computing and weaker for integrated graphics (which will not matter if you get a GPU). Taken from here.

Just throwing that out there.
I don't really know how to extrapolate meaningful information from that. Basically that, that one Intel CPU is better than both rated AMDs it went against? How does this translate to real world usage? I understand the Photoshop CS6 but not how any of that applies to games where the GPU does most of the work. CPU still does AI and other things but is that low enough of a CPU burden to not matter if I choose to stick with AMD?

Basically to reaffirm my bullet points above (plus some): If I stick with AMD, can I get by with upgrading my PSU (since it's 460W) and purchasing a GPU? Or will I miss out on important "features" found on current Motherboards and CPUs? And if I have to upgrade both my Motherboard and CPU, is it worth while to pay the extra for Intel?
For mid-range computers you get more bang for your buck on Single-threaded applications (read: pretty much everything) with AMD. Intel funds their top-notch processor R&D by charging more for their mid-range developments.

As opposed to AMD, who is generally a little behind on the tech, but brings it at a reduced price.
It looks like I'll be fixing this computer up and returning it. I'll repair or replace the CD drive so my friend can have a computer to use for internet, documents and basic things. And adding a wireless card as well, if she wants it (just ethernet at the moment). I've been conversing with a buddy and he says that I can get a decent computer out of it by upgrading the Mother board and adding a GPU. It's tempting though.

I'll be speccing out a new computer on Newegg and comparing the cost of buying a fully up-to-date computer versus updating this one over the next few years to the point where I would probably have to upgrade the theoretical computer I'll spec out. I'll share what I've learned when I've done the work.
As stated above, I've been doing my research. The CPU is an AM3 Socket type (not AM3+). Which, is dated as I think Tari pointed out on IRC earlier in the week.

So, spending as little money as possible I can update the motherboard to an AMD 760GM (from an 880GM) and then buy a moderate graphics card. Bring my total around 250 bucks.

If I wanted to just update the CPU to FM2 Plus while I'm at it, upgrade to an Motherboard to work with it and then the same moderate graphics card for about 450 bucks. I still need to find out if my PSU can power this GPU but I figured I'd share where I'm at.

I can pick up all these parts from my local Frys store which will save with shipping and for ease of return.

Now, the alternative is to build this.

I've found the following while researching:
  • Your CPU can stay "up-to-date" for about 4 years. (1) (2)
  • The GPU should see an upgrade every two years. I really found answers all over the place on this one, split between 2 years and when it can't run games very well. I decided to go with the former since this is about maintaining a good build. (3)

To save money I'd buy a mid-range GPU ($250) every 2 years and a CPU ($200) every 4. Assuming my current CPU socket type is no longer supported, I'll have to upgrade the motherboard as well ($150).

So, I'd see about $200 under price of the alternative build in about 4 years. Since I've spec'ed out the alternative build as high as plausible, I could probably squeeze 4 years out of the GPU before I start the 2 year GPU upgrade cycle. In conclusion, it's not really going to matter one way or another which way I go but using this computer is a bit cheaper.

Reason for the Mini-ITX case: Coming from the Mac realm I really dislike the plastic feel of most computer cases with Windows. A Mini-ITX case was a good compromise between looks, durability, and cost. I'm also displeased with the amount of ports on these Windows motherboards. I don't need a PS/2 port (or two of them for that matter), six analog audio ports. Ideally, I just need an RJ-45, HDMI/VGA/DVI, Optical, and USB (and none of that 2 USB3.0 and 4 USB 2.0.) Do such motherboards exist? The motherboard I picked out has Optical, HDMI/DVI/VGA and an RJ-45, so removing the other junk shouldn't be too far out of the question...
Don't need a PS/2 port? Bro, do you even Model M?
Development Update!

I was given a case with an Intel ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard attached inside. Which, poses a problem since my existing hardware is AMD. But I'll figure that out later. One way or another, I'm using this case. The motherboards' DDR3 slots can be OC'd to 2800, I don't want to run that fast but should I invest in some speedier RAM? It supports 1600 natively. I plan to fill the 4 slots it has, 4x4GB or should I buy 2x8GB and max it out to 32GBs down the road?

I was looking at the CPU's and I don't have much choice for the LGA 1155. This seems to be the cheapest i5; I went with i5 because it's a good middleman. I plan to upgrade this computer more headily in the future and with Intels roadmap, it looks like I want to shy away from spending much on a CPU. My uses in the future (think: 1 year from today) the upcoming Unreal Tournament game, VR experiences, some 3D rendering and dabble in UE4 with some friends. If I can put in enough to be able to upgrade next year and get a great machine, I'll be happy.

So. If I go Intel with what I have:

CPU, 4 Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2Ghz - USD$189.99
GPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB - USD$179.99
PSU, Recyclable from AMD - USD$0.00
RAM, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) - USD$159.99
HDD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM - USD$89.99

Total: USD$619.96
(Taking advantage of sales/rebates as of this post, 589.96)

That's more money than I'd like to put into this but I feel like Intel is the clear choice. I'm skimping on the GPU, can I skimp on the CPU and get an i3 or i5? I believe an i5 is decent but would anyone recommend an i3?

(I realize I'm going to throw all the above away, but...)

Since my GPU of choice only needs 300W and I'm salvaging the PSU can I buy the GPU and just move the GPU into the Intel when I'm ready? Slowly buying parts overtime. (Buying "enthusiast" parts as I successfully save the money for them). If I buy a second HDD for the AMD to install games onto, can I slide that HDD into the Intel and point Steam & Origin to the drive to find the existing games or is it more complicated than that?

And if I go that route, should I invest in a better GPU to avoid upgrading it in a year or would I be better off doing an SLI in the Intel?
* AMD surrendered the performance war to Intel since the Core series around 2006, and made several blunders (small L1 cache on Bulldozer, shared FPUs, etc.), which make their CPUs unsuitable for performance-oriented work. On the flip side of the coin, AMD CPUs are cheaper;
* I'd recommend against using a Core i3. Desktop Core i5s are real quad-core CPUs, while Core i3s are dual-core CPUs;
* if memory bandwidth has a large impact on some of the workloads you quoted, you should definitely consider using 4 x 4 GB RAM sticks, especially if the motherboard has a quad-channel memory controller, which makes a large bandwidth improvement over dual-channel;
* the i5-3570K is known for good overclocking potential, so it could last a bit longer (should you want to squeeze slightly more performance in several years);
* I don't know how much existing data you have and how much you want to create, but you may want to consider hybrid storage (SSHD), which allies the read / write speed of a relatively small Flash memory cache (usually 8-16 GB, which is not that small) and the capacity of rotating HDDs (500 GB, 1 TB and more).

EDIT: this is meant as constructive criticism (improvements on your current selection), don't read it as trashing your existing config / wishes Smile
When I was considering building a Mini-ITX machine, I was going to go for the i5 3570k of the ivy bridge lineage. I'd probably go for that too, if I were you. As I recall, I wasn't going to choose am overclockable motherboard either, but if I wanted to upgrade motherboards when I had more more money, it would have given me the option.

In the end I didn't end up building a PC (I figured I wouldn't have the time, so I went a bit overbudget and purchased an i7 laptop).
Thanks for the feedback!

Lionel Debroux wrote:
*I don't know how much existing data you have and how much you want to create, but you may want to consider hybrid storage (SSHD), which allies the read / write speed of a relatively small Flash memory cache (usually 8-16 GB, which is not that small) and the capacity of rotating HDDs (500 GB, 1 TB and more).

I'll likely buy a small SSD for the boot drive (64GB or so) and a few large HDDs for the storage drives. I know nothing beats the performance of an SSD but from what little research I did when buying my PS4 is that high capacity disks with large sector sizes will have faster read/write times. It's no replacement for an SSD but I'm not really after speed. I also realize how SSHD's work, loading the common files onto the SSD for faster access and that you should boot to a fresh install of the OS a few times before installing other programs.

Quote:
* if memory bandwidth has a large impact on some of the workloads you quoted, you should definitely consider using 4 x 4 GB RAM sticks, especially if the motherboard has a quad-channel memory controller, which makes a large bandwidth improvement over dual-channel;

Unfortunately it is dual channel. Would going 4x4 or eventually 4x8 be wise?

Quote:
* AMD surrendered the performance war to Intel since the Core series around 2006, and made several blunders (small L1 cache on Bulldozer, shared FPUs, etc.), which make their CPUs unsuitable for performance-oriented work. On the flip side of the coin, AMD CPUs are cheaper;

Which is why I'm tempted to stick it out with my AMD machine until I can buy the parts for the Intel. Since the AMD has everything but the GPU. If I buy a stellar GPU and a PSU to power it, I would be able to move those to the Intel when I buy the rest of the parts. If I stay with the 750 and SLI when I move it to the Intel, I'll need to upgrade the PSU to a 750W or higher (currently 450).

Or, I could save a little bit longer and get an outstanding GPU that I won't need to SLI and I'd also need a PSU. While I'm trying to spend as less as possible, I'm also looking forward and seeing what I can avoid having to rebuy again. I'll very likely have to upgrade the PSU though. I've also read/heard that SLI/Crossfire doesn't double the GPU performance but instead halves the bits or something. So, if setting up two 750's in an SLI aren't ideal I'd rather spend a bit more and get a GPU that'll last a few years.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours