That alliteration Cool Alright, I have just started learning ASM from the famous Learn TI-83 Plus Assembly In 28 Days. I am trying to assemble the program and I am following all the instructions. When I try to assemble the program "hello.z80" by using the command "asm hello" in the tasm folder, CMD responds with

Code:
"echo Syntax: asm [NAME (w/o extension)] [PATH]
----- Assembling hello for the TI-83 Plus...
TASM Z80 Assebmler.                     Version 3.2 September, 2001.
 Copyright (C) 2001 Squak Valley Software
tasm: pass 1 complete.
  line 0001: No END directive before EOF.
tasm: pass 2 complete.
tasm: Number of errors = 1
----- There were errors."

If anyone could help out it would be much appreciated!
It sounds like you listened to the tutorial's instructions verbatim and installed TASM. I recommend you instead grab the Doors CS SDK and give that a try. Once you have it, copy your hello.asm or hello.z80 into the /asm/source directory. Then open a command prompt, change directories to the /asm directory in the SDK, and type "compile hello".
Ok thanks! So it is a problem with the assembler?
TASM was the assembler used in the late 90's early 00's and as such, many historical tutorials are based on it. There are however more modern assemblers that offer richer feature sets; like BRASS (which is included in the Doors CS SDK) for example.
While there isn't really a good reason to use TASM over the alternatives, your question remains unanswered: it sounds like you were missing the ".end" required by TASM which appears as the last line of the example program on Day 1.

See also this note on Day 2:
Quote:

Code:
.end

Signifies the end of the source code. There are two here because TASM has this annoying tendency to ignore the last line in a file. the second one is redundant, but oh well.

With regards to the included template:

Code:
.nolist
#include    "ti83plus.inc"
.list
.org    $9D93
.db    t2ByteTok, tAsmCmp
    ; Your program goes here.
.end
.end
The part that was confusing me is that I had two .ends at the end of my program

KermM sorry for asking this but where exactly do I download doors SDK?
You should be able to find it here:
http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php?title=Developers%27_SDK
which links to:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/341/34192.html

You can find spasm (the other popular assembler) and WabbitEmu here:
https://wabbit.codeplex.com/releases/view/44625
Ok a new problem arises, my computer changes "hello.z80" to hello.z80.txt the tutorial does cover this but it is for Windows 95 and I am using Windows 8.1 I am trying to google it but I cant seem to find any results. Help? err Assistance?
APotato wrote:
Ok a new problem arises, my computer changes "hello.z80" to hello.z80.txt the tutorial does cover this but it is for Windows 95 and I am using Windows 8.1 I am trying to google it but I cant seem to find any results. Help? err Assistance?
Don't use Notepad to edit your programs. Use something like Notepad++, which will not tack on extra extensions. Alternatively, in the Save As... dialog in Notepad, change .txt files to All Files, and I believe it will not add the .txt, but I might be wrong about that.
KermM thank you so much! I am so happy, it finally works now without errors! I tried saving as all files but it did not work. Notepad is great!
Make sure you uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" in your Windows Explorer options to make your life easier with everything programming related.
Yes that would be a good idea, I didn't even notice the .txt extension until I noticed it was hidden.
Alternatively you could change the "asm hello.z80" or whatever the command you're running is to "asm hello.z80.txt".
Wel I originally used the command asm hello. It works from there
Okie, I finally got everything working... Kind of. When I run it it kind of swipes the screen clear then displays "o World" then reclears. Throughout the whole process, there is a bit of screen still visible at the top. Common error I made?
APotato wrote:
Okie, I finally got everything working... Kind of. When I run it it kind of swipes the screen clear then displays "o World" then reclears. Throughout the whole process, there is a bit of screen still visible at the top. Common error I made?
Using the standard Hello, World program in the tutorial? Or did you experiment with changing the program around a bit?
It sounds like it might be a .org error. What is the source you're trying to assemble?

Code:
#include "ti84pcse.inc"

.org    UserMem + 2
.db tExtTok, tAsm84CCmp

b_call(_ClrLCDFull)
      ld hl, 0
      ld (PenCol), hl
      ld hl, str
      b_call(_PutS)
      b_call(_NewLine)
      ret

str:
    .db "Hello world!", 0
.end

Thats the code. Something I am doing wrong? Not sure what you mean by what is the source.

Code:
[Sep 19, 2014, 4:29:25 PM PDT] <Runer112> someone post in APotato's asm help topic and tell him that it's userMem-2, not userMem+2
[Sep 19, 2014, 4:29:32 PM PDT] <Runer112> I'm too lazy
[Sep 19, 2014, 4:29:48 PM PDT] <@saxjax> (G) *gCn virtual hub 'ChatHub' has new calculator 0A2A29064B from CVCalc
[Sep 19, 2014, 4:30:29 PM PDT] <@saxjax> (C) [CalebHansberry] i saw me
[Sep 19, 2014, 4:30:29 PM PDT] <+comic> Haha
Shock oh. I totally knew that! But thanks Razz
Ok now the only problem is when I run it in Doors CSE it clears almost all of the screen except the top portion then it draws "Hello World!" in the white space. When I run it from the homescreen, it clears the entire screen but you can still see "prgm HELLO" near the top and then it displays H in the center of the screen.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours