So it seems to me OpenGL would _definitely_ be the way to go then... why not use it?
The reason we can't use Opengl is because there is no support for VB6 yet, which is the language this is programmed in, at least that's what I got out of it when I asked my partner. Here's a copy of the transcript:

Quote:
Chipmaster: suru, why exactly can't we use opengl?
The Dominator: no support for vb6 yet
Chipmaster: are you sure?
Chipmaster: cause I'm telling people this
The Dominator: and??
Chipmaster: I want to be sure
Chipmaster: are you sure that there is no support for vb6 yet with opengl?
The Dominator: yup
Chipmaster: ok, I'll take your word for it

And, no we can't do this in VB.net or another programming language because this is a project for a VB6 class. Sorry about this. Neutral

Edit: Changed username to protect confidentiality.
well, this could always be ported later on

EditL do a goodle search for "OpenGl and VB6" and see what you come up with
Gimme the source and I'll try porting it to Python+Pygame (which uses SDL)
Okay okay. I'll give you the source before we added DirectX. You want the .frm's? You'll need vb to use them.

Edit: sent Smile
Am I allowed to publish these source files here?

<ot>Man I love gmail, it took all the seperate files you sent me and zip'd them up for me so that I only had to download one file....so cool....</ot>

Oh, and here's how you use OpenGL from VB 6

More samples here: http://nio.astronomy.cz/vb/opengl.html
rivereye wrote:
well, this could always be ported later on

EditL do a goodle search for "OpenGl and VB6" and see what you come up with
mwaHAHAHAHA!!! goodle! ROFL.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Am I allowed to publish these source files here?

<ot>Man I love gmail, it took all the seperate files you sent me and zip'd them up for me so that I only had to download one file....so cool....</ot>

Oh, and here's how you use OpenGL from VB 6

More samples here: http://nio.astronomy.cz/vb/opengl.html

I'd say yes, but I'd better talk to my partner first. So for now, if you wouldn't mind, don't publish them. After I speek with him and confirm that it's ok, then you can publish them.

I will have to show him that link. I don't think he's aware of it.

Yes, Kerm, "goodle"...it's a typo.... Rolling Eyes
yeah, you have a problem that I type way too fast for my own good?
rivereye wrote:

I have a problem that you aren't bothered to proofread your posts before submitting them....

Thats one of the cool things with Drupal, I can set it up so people HAVE to preview a post/comment before they can post it.
rivereye wrote:
I type far too fast for my own good as well, but I go back and correct my mistakes. Smile

I'd rather not have forced preview though, that would be exceedingly lame.
*Notes the Edit in that post* Maybe you should check your posts more clearly Just Joking

No progress was made today because I didn't have school (taking an AP test lets you get out of school for the day). But, tomorrow, I plan to show my partner the OpenGL link, and perhaps we can pursue it...but we already have it generating a 3d landscape in DirectX... Crying
Wait... I posted here... I do believe it has been deleted... Evil or Very Mad
Confused Wasn't me Neutral
kirb wrote:
Wait... I posted here... I do believe it has been deleted... Evil or Very Mad
I corrected what you were pointing out, so I deleted the post. Plus, I'm perfect. Laughing Just Joking
Chipmaster wrote:
No progress was made today because I didn't have school (taking an AP test lets you get out of school for the day). But, tomorrow, I plan to show my partner the OpenGL link, and perhaps we can pursue it...but we already have it generating a 3d landscape in DirectX... Crying

Eh, it doesn't matter really. You are doing it in VB which is Windows only anyway Laughing
Kllrnohj wrote:
Chipmaster wrote:

Eh, it doesn't matter really. You are doing it in VB which is Windows only anyway Laughing
You're telling me there's no nonmanual VB-->xplatform converter?!
KermMartian wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
Chipmaster wrote:

Nope, not that I know of. You can try using wine or similar, but VB is such a horrible language anyway, there really is no reason to ever need a cross-compiler/interpreter, so it remains windows only....
Fair enough. BTW, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Python...
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
Chipmaster wrote:

Nope, not that I know of. You can try using wine or similar, but VB is such a horrible language anyway, there really is no reason to ever need a cross-compiler/interpreter, so it remains windows only....

And so why is everyone trying to get me to use Opengl??? Rolling Eyes

Today, we were able to get it to generate the 3d landscape and make the perspective rotate based on mouse movement (which was harder than I thought it was going to be).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours