I'm working on porting over Sign Finder, a mini game found on Brain Age 2. The object of the game is to fill in the blank with the mathematical sign that completes the equation. This is a show of skill and speed, so you will be timed during play. Any time you mess up, you gain 15 seconds to your overall time.

Edit: Sign Finder is complete! Download it here:
Sign Finder for the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition

I plan on instituting a normal run (of like 15 to 20 equations) and marathon, which lets you just go until you miss one, to see what kind of high scores you can get Smile

Here's what I have so far:

The blank space in the image is meant for menu displaying.

Thoughts so far?
Brain Age! I used to play this game. Will you have the speed with the train bike, walking, plane and stuff? I think all the minigames should be ported to the CSE! It would be wonderful Smile Good luck.
This sounds like both a fun challenge and a good mathematics teaching tool. I am glad you're exploring those xLIBC functions and that you've undertaken this project, and I think it'll also be a nice project for you personally since it's much smaller than your larger, long-running projects. That satisfaction of finishing off one project can be excellent motivation for working on others, in my experience, and your TI-BASIC experience plus the scope of this project means I think you'll probably be able to take it at a fast clip (work permitting). I remain unhappy with the red/maroon border around the green title text, even though I understand its significance. Smile

Edit: To be more constructive, let me offer a suggestion: either light/lime green for all of the red, or a light green at the left and top and a dark green at the bottom and right.

Edit #2:
APotato wrote:
Brain Age! I used to play this game. Will you have the speed with the train bike, walking, plane and stuff? I think all the minigames should be ported to the CSE! It would be wonderful Smile Good luck.
Note that he said "I'm working on porting over Sign Finder, a mini game found on Brain Age 2.", not "I'm working on porting Brain Age 2."
APotato wrote:

I don't think I'll do that, I don't want to rip them off that hard. :p I'm just really inspired to bring those fun games to the CSE. And I do remember I was always a little sharper after playing them for a while, so I really should go back to that game one of these days.

Kerm: To be honest, I suck with spriting and coloring things. I thought the colors made eachother pop, but I will admit that these kind of things go beyond my abilities. I was just not wanting to ask for help because I'd like this to be all me and all that. :p

And I have thought about porting over the change maker, but it'd be different, more or less just telling how much change to give back, since the DS has a touch screen and you can indicate what currency to give back as change, which makes it harder. I'm not sure I'd want to do any of the others.
tifreak8x wrote:
APotato wrote:

I don't think I'll do that, I don't want to rip them off that hard. :p I'm just really inspired to bring those fun games to the CSE. And I do remember I was always a little sharper after playing them for a while, so I really should go back to that game one of these days.

Kerm: To be honest, I suck with spriting and coloring things. I thought the colors made eachother pop, but I will admit that these kind of things go beyond my abilities. I was just not wanting to ask for help because I'd like this to be all me and all that. :p

And I have thought about porting over the change maker, but it'd be different, more or less just telling how much change to give back, since the DS has a touch screen and you can indicate what currency to give back as change, which makes it harder. I'm not sure I'd want to do any of the others.

Yeah...
Memory sprint was obnoxious and I liked the falling block thing.
The virus buster one should definitely be ported but I don't know how it would work because the original had a touch screen.
This has potential.

Code:
:DCS

If 81>det([[20
Then
Disp "Get Doors CSE to run this:","http://dcs.cemetech.net
Return
End
ClrDraw
AxesOff
1→W:65→C
While W=1

real(0,1,1
"SGNFNDPC
real(5,7,0
"Play/Help/Quit
real(6,0,65,65,38,47,1
real(8,1,0

2→W:0→U
While W=2
If not(U:Then
"+
real(6,0,55,C,38,47,1

1→U
End
getKey→K
If max(K={25,34:Then
real(7,9,55,C,8,8,0,0

0→U
End
C-8((K=25 and C>65)-(K=34 and C<79→C

If K=22:Return

End

This is what I have thus far. This is what it is doing thus far:

Perchance someone that uses xlibc might be able to point out what I'm doing wrong? :<
well i think that:

Code:
real(6,0,55,C,38,47,1

in which you display the + icon seems to be the problem.

the 1 at the end of the line should be a 0 to prevent the screen from switching sides.

correct me if i'm wrong, i'm not an xLIBC expert haha
That makes the screen stop flashing back and forth, but does not display the cursor to the screen.
So, the problem is that you normally draw to the offscreen part of the GRAM, then update the LCD by just swapping which of the GRAM halves is displayed. The problem is this line:
Code:
real(6,0,65,65,38,47,1
This will draw the plus to the offscreen half, but then swap it (and the random data that was underneath it) onscreen. My solution in many of my programs is to cheat by making the onscreen half of the GRAM the one that gets drawn to, and never calling a command with the updateLCD argument set to 1! Here's how that would look for you.
Code:
:DCS
[icon]
If 81>det([[20
Then
Disp "Get Doors CSE to run this:","http://dcs.cemetech.net
Return
End
ClrDraw
AxesOff
1->W:65->C
While W=1

real(0,1,1
"SGNFNDPC
real(5,7,0
"Play/Help/Quit
real(6,0,65,65,38,47,1

real(8,1,1-real(8,0  // Switch to active side
2->W:0->U
While W=2
If not(U:Then
"+
real(6,0,55,C,38,47,0

1->U
End
getKey->K
If max(K={25,34:Then
real(7,9,55,C,8,8,0,0

0->U
End
C-8((K=25 and C>65)-(K=34 and C<79->C

If K=22:0->W

End  // End of While W=2 loop
real(8,1,1-real(8,0  // Switch to inactive side

End // End of While W=1 loop
Return
"real(8,1,1-real(8,0"

Should I take this literately, or should it just be real(8,0?
tifreak8x wrote:
"real(8,1,1-real(8,0"

Should I take this literately, or should it just be real(8,0?
Well, real(8,0) returns the current GRAM half in use, and real(8,1,{0 or 1}) sets the current GRAM half in use. So real(8,1,1-real(8,0)) switches to the opposite half.

Very Happy

Now to get some of those options to work!
Great, was that with my suggestion as-is? If so, I'm actually slightly stunned that I put those real(8,1...)s in the right place. At any rate, this is good news, and I'm glad you'll be able to steam ahead.
Yes, this was your suggestions as is Smile

I still don't understand it, but so long as it works.. lol
I've added the help section, for what little actually needs saying on this game.

Guessing I need to remove that status bar, but I'm unsure how to make it just stop going to the other side of GRAM when it goes back to the title screen. Smile Something to ponder while I commence work on other aspects of the game.

Edit:

I think that works out well Smile Masks out everything from the other screen, so now I can focus on how I want to display the equations up on the screen.

Edit:

Oh look at me, being an attention hoe Very Happy Not really, but I do enjoy sharing off progress ^_^

Edit:

I'm thinking of making the lower portion (that clears out) the playing area, with the high score stuff listed on the bottom row, the playing itself happening above it. Thoughts?
tifreak8x wrote:
[...]I'm thinking of making the lower portion (that clears out) the playing area, with the high score stuff listed on the bottom row, the playing itself happening above it. Thoughts?
And leaving the Sign Finder text and logo above it? Will there be enough space underneath it for the gameplay components? If so, then I think that's perfectly reasonable.

I think there should be more than enough room, if I place the amount of time below that line there for Highscore.

Also, got the alignment done in one line of code Very Happy Not counting the text line, of course :p

"Highscore "+sub("NormalMarathon",1+(M=1),8-7(M=0
real(6,0,0+16(M=0)+7(M=1),89,38,47,0

And before you think it's a typo, Normal is a single token Smile (some know it is, others may not, clearing confusion before it sets in)

Also just realized upon closer inspection that I'm erasing the lower pixels on the X symbol. Whoops, correcting that in the code now Smile
That is looking fantastic! Surprised
Here's some optimizations if you would like some: Smile

Code:
"Highscore "+sub("NormalMarathon",1+M,1+7M
real(6,0,16-9M,89,38,47,0

So, I have a pretty UI with placeholder high score data Smile

I think I'm ready to set up the actual gaming engine.

I'm debating on how many I limit the normal to, as I think it is only 20 or less on the main game. I think 20 might be a good, round number to work with..
I can find out for you, I still have the game.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours