Back in 2010, then-active user Raylin felt that the members of the calculator programming community needed to get to know each other better. To that end, he and I co-founded Have Calc? Will Program!, now written as Have Calc, Will Program or just HCWP. The first episode was tightly-scripted, starting with presentations by four community members about projects and programming tips, and ending with a general discussion period. Though the format gradually shifted to purely open discussion over time, the community (largely Cemetech members) continued to attend the conference, week after week.

After one year, we took stock of a year of HCWP, having hosted 52 Wednesday night programming, debugging, and chatting sessions. Though we have a pretty strict starting time of 8pm Eastern Time, conferences can go for one or dozens of hours. We routinely discuss calculator and computer programming into far into the night, and in several cases our members have seen the sun rise while still working together. Have attended over three solid years of the conference, I can say with certainty that it's a great way to get to know your fellow programmers better, to ask questions and collaborate in ways that aren't possible on IRC or even forums, and to show off your latest works-in-progress, be they games or more serious programs.

For about two and a half years we held HCWP on a service called TinyChat, but as it became buggier and less reliable, we switched to Google Hangouts. We hope to see you around on HCWP every Wednesday at 8pm Eastern Time; just hop on Cemetech's SAX chat or #cemetech on EfNet IRC and use the ~hcwp command to get the current HCWP Hangout link. See you soon!

Below: HCWP's one-year anniversary
How many people even go anymore? Also, why use a screencap that's over a year old?

Just curious, considering I used to be a regular there two years ago
i would come, but 7:30 is when i leave GPa's and lose any connection to the internet.

maybe ill get lucky over the summer sometime.

Also, Kerm, you look oh so crampt there.
Ashbad wrote:
How many people even go anymore? Also, why use a screencap that's over a year old?

Because we haven't taken a new screencap in a while, and I liked the nostalgia quality of using the one from our one-year anniversary. We still get a solid 4-10 people attending, and if people know about it, we might get more. I think our maximum was around when this picture was captured, at 25 attendees.

Luxen: I hope you do indeed manage to come and chat about your projects at some point.
KermMartian wrote:
Ashbad wrote:

Because we haven't taken a new screencap in a while, and I liked the nostalgia quality of using the one from our one-year anniversary. We still get a solid 4-10 people attending, and if people know about it, we might get more. I think our maximum was around when this picture was captured, at 25 attendees.

Luxen: I hope you do indeed manage to come and chat about your projects at some point.

Who generally shows up?
I have never gone to HCWP, but it is hard to be on the computer at that time for me.
You need hcwp.cemetech.net and a script that automatically redirects it to the up-to-date Google Hangout location every wednesday.
DJ_O wrote:
You need hcwp.cemetech.net and a script that automatically redirects it to the up-to-date Google Hangout location every wednesday.
That would be clever. Luckily we have (I think) reserved a static link for the next 5 years, and if it works, then I'll certainly try to get tny.im/hcwp or cemete.ch/hcwp or some such shortened link.
Seven years of crap.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Seven years of crap.
I think you miscalculated; did you mean 3 years or 8 years (including the Hangout reserved for 5 years)? Anyway, I hope you all are going to join us tonight for yet another HCWP at 8pm ET, although I'm sure some people will be arriving a bit early.
I indeed might, for my first time!
Hope I'm not too much of a bother. (I might be a bit busy writing, however.)
Last night's edition was very fun. We talked about OSes, saw implementation of Forth on GlassOS, discussed about what calcs we all owned, and also watched Xeda use Grammer to make waves and also his Sierpinski circle in Basic, and finally watched geekboy play Zelda. That was when I left so more might have happened. Oh yeah, we also had a 10 minute discussion on what Kerm was doing with his family. We mostly believed that he was handing out calculators to everyone and teaching them to code.
The fun happened when most left:

ordelore wrote:
Last night's edition was very fun. We talked about OSes, saw implementation of Forth on GlassOS, discussed about what calcs we all owned, and also watched Xeda use Grammer to make waves and also his Sierpinski circle in Basic, and finally watched geekboy play Zelda. That was when I left so more might have happened. Oh yeah, we also had a 10 minute discussion on what Kerm was doing with his family. We mostly believed that he was handing out calculators to everyone and teaching them to code.
Thanks for that excellent summary! I unfortunately had to leave after the first hour for the aforementioned family time, which was a bit different than you guys imagined. Smile Firefly, dinner, and making cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie was in order. I'm sorry to have missed the latter portion of the conference, and I'll definitely try to be there longer next week. Especially since I can HCWP on my new phone now...
Now then, today's summary is a WIP.
1) We got to see the amazingness of light tunnels,
2) We got an accidental bad music play-through courtesy of a mic malfunction by Ahelper.
3) More work on Redintegrate by Ahelper
More to come.
4) To add, work was being done more specifically on libvoronoi and the compute library that it uses for OpenCL support.

As of now, I am still on HCWP, and it is very quiet.

Quote:
![HAL@HAL build]$ ./test5
Compute::Compute(): Loaded libOpenCL.so
Compute::Compute(): Detected 1 device(s):
GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Compute library initialized
Compute library unloaded

5) The 4 hours of silence ended Very Happy
6) OpenCL melted my brain whilst PHP occurred.
Haha, I'm surprised it wasn't the terribleness of PHP that was melting brains. It sounds like it was not a total failure of an HCWP, which I'm happy to hear since I wasn't able to make it. I regret that social engagements prevented my attendance, but I look forward to seeing you all again next Wednesday.
I was the one who broke the silence with the terror of PHP, unfortunately. I'll try to not let that beast out again though, as it almost killed poor Ahelper Sad

I'll definitely try to get in to HCWP more though. It's just a little difficult since 1700 PST is when my family wants me to do things and go places.
Today, pimath creamed me at a game of Risk, we saw multiple versions of the pokemon theme song "I wanna be the very best", and watched the music from Mulan.
More to come.
Dammit Cemetech timestamps, it's only 1 hour into HCWP, not 2 hours. I'm going to be joining up in about 20 minutes to finish my grading, and if I get that done in a decent amount of time, look into railway construction with AHelper.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours