What 2.8" screen are you looking at?
I'm currently looking at this ILI9325-based screen with board or this slightly cheaper screen that comes with no touchscreen controller or PCB.

Edit: By the way, here's how the 2.4" LCD fits in the TI-83+SE case. The blue lines were added in GIMP to show the edges of the actual LCD.

Where does the LCD stop on the horizontal axis? Does it go beyond the opening in the case?
Ivoah wrote:
Where does the LCD stop on the horizontal axis? Does it go beyond the opening in the case?
That LCD is almost exactly the height of the aperture in the case.
I'd go with the touchscreen one for 2 extra dollars. It's starting to look like an actual calculator again. I'd suggest a button (or button combination) that pauses emulation to go to a different calculator or the desktop. What calculators does TILem support? I'd assume that you'd have to mod TILem unless you were planning to have the calculator on at all times (rom and ram saving). If you can allow support for quickly switching between calculators that would be cool.

Sorry for the super long unstructured post. You can probably ignore most of it.
Quote:
What calculators does TILem support?

TilEm supports all TI-Z80 models. Although it's not mentioned on http://lpg.ticalc.org/prj_tilem/, TilEm is one of the few (two, IIRC) emulators with 84+CSE support.
Are you still working on it or has development slowed?
Lionel Debroux wrote:
Quote:
What calculators does TILem support?

TilEm supports all TI-Z80 models. Although it's not mentioned on http://lpg.ticalc.org/prj_tilem/, TilEm is one of the few (two, IIRC) emulators with 84+CSE support.

I know at least jsTIfied and Wabbit both emulate the 84+ CSE
Yeah, some 84+CSE support was added to WabbitEmu at some point, a while after it was added to TilEm and jsTIfied.
CKH4 wrote:
Development has slowed due to academic deadlines, unfortunately. When I eventually pick this up again, I'll need to CAD and fab a PCB for the peripheral controller, to be built around an MSP430-family microcontroller. I also need to select a battery for this project.
I'm glad that you haven't dropped it completely because it sounds really cool. Good luck.
KermMartian wrote:
CKH4 wrote:
Development has slowed due to academic deadlines, unfortunately. When I eventually pick this up again, I'll need to CAD and fab a PCB for the peripheral controller, to be built around an MSP430-family microcontroller. I also need to select a battery for this project.

Don't you wire the controller directly to the testpoints of the depupulated old pcb? It works for me.
Muessigb wrote:
Don't you wire the controller directly to the testpoints of the depupulated old pcb? It works for me.
Tari said I'd save more power powering an MSP430-family microcontroller and using it to scan the keyboard matrix than letting the GPIOs on the Odroid-W scan the keyboard matrix. I must admit that I'm feeling lazy about writing a USB HID firmware for the MSP430, though.

In other news, since my 320x240, 2.4" SPI LCD ended up being way too narrow for the TI-83+SE's LCD aperture, I bought a widescreen 2.5" 400x240-pixel LCD from eBay, link below. It uses the unusual HX8352C controller, but based on reading this blog post about writing a driver for the controller, I think it'll be feasible.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291429980671
Just a random idea, and only if you're willing to have this "calculator" have more features than the systems it shall emulate: you could add the ESP8266 you said you had laying around on your desk to the project, connecting it to the UART of the Odroid-W, and then somehow linking it with the 3-pin port of the emulated calcs, so that you'd have a CALCnet bridge inside the calculator itself. Just trying to help yourself get rid of hardware you have laying around Very Happy

I imagine coding the software for this "feature" (both on the ESP8266 side and on the Odroid side) would be the hardest part, as the physical connections are pretty easy (both devices use 3.3V logic and have a UART). You can also connect the chip-enable pin of the ESP8266 so that you can turn it off from the Odroid side when you're not using it, to save battery (or you could make the ESP8266 go into deep sleep itself).
Thanks for those suggestions, gbl08ma. That sounds really cool, but perhaps it would be easier to simply give the ODroid board WiFi through whatever means (can the ESP8266 be used as a WiFi peripheral by Linux? That sounds super-slow). That way, I could simply connect the gCnClient software to the calculator's emulated linkport, and not have to write a new on-calculator driver for the ESP8266, as cool as that would be.

I received the new LCD board I ordered recently, and it looks promising: it fits the LCD aperture in the TI-83+SE quite closely. I'm waiting for some prototyping jumpers so I can see if I can get its SPI mode working.

*bump* I did a bunch of work on this tonight, trying to get my ODroid-W to talk to this nice 400x240-pixel screen. Unfortunately, in reading the datasheet, it appears that four pins, IFSEL0 and BS0-2, are necessary to set the interface mode (ie, 8 or 16 bit parallel or serial, GRAM or constant DMA). I cannot find where, if any, these pins are broken out on the board, and I haven't the faintest clue which pins are which on the flexible PCB connecting the LCD and the breakout PCB. If I can find some mechanical drawings and schematics of the board, I may be in better shape. Unfortunately, if I can't find a good solution, I might have to switch to a different LCD, especially since I'm going to need to do a fair bit of driver work to get the HX8352C working with FBTFT, as far as I can tell.
Yay progress! Boo problems Sad What other interface modes does the breakout support? I've got an LCD hooked up to my Pi with SPI and it runs just fine, especially for emulating a calculator.
Ivoah wrote:
Yay progress! Boo problems Sad What other interface modes does the breakout support? I've got an LCD hooked up to my Pi with SPI and it runs just fine, especially for emulating a calculator.
My previous LCD, controlled by an ILI9341, was broken out on a board that only provided an SPI interface, whereas this one provides a 16-bit RGB interface. I remain slightly hopeful that I might uncover SPI commands that will allow me to specify an SPI data mode. Is anyone familiar with a minicom-like application for talking to SPI devices, hopefully with the ability to set a clock speed? I guess I'd also have to be able to poke other GPIOs.
What protocol was the breakout designed to be used with?
*bump*

Idea: Use the LED (caps and num lock) capabilities of the MSP430 as [2nd] and [ALPHA] indicators.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours