Can we use your server to host our \/\/arez? Laughing Just Joking
KermMartian wrote:
Sorry to bump this. I got Gentoo all set up, so now I'm working on dling and installing Apache, MySQL, and PHP.

Nice move on the gentoo - how are you liking emerge?

Oh, and how did it go configuring and compiling your own kernel?
Emerge is good except for all the 404 errors it was generating. That was easily fixed with a nice little --sync though. Smile Hopefully it's done now; I'll go check it out when I get back to school.
KermMartian wrote:
Emerge is good except for all the 404 errors it was generating. That was easily fixed with a nice little --sync though. Smile Hopefully it's done now; I'll go check it out when I get back to school.

yeah, i heard someone else who switched recently that he was getting 404 errors - i have yet to ever get a 404 error, just always do a --sync before you install anything
It's because it's trying to get old packages that are outdated. Anyway, I installed MySQL (7.5 hours), then finally realized I was trying to run everything in 64mb of RAM. Razz A couple of RAM sticks later, I had it jacked up to 192mb, and it seems to be running great now. The proc is a 400MHz PII, and in fact I'm posting from it right now.
eek, I can't imagine compiling Gnome or similar from a 400mhz P2....(or firefox - omg that would be scary, it takes me 40min as it is on my system...)

Oh, and it is MUCH easier to stay updated than to do an update every month or so. I usually do "emerge --sync && update-eix" daily (eix is the same as "emerge -s" but it is near-instant as it uses a database) along with a good ol' "emerge --update --deep --newuse system" (and the same but for world instead of system) every couple of days - then I am only compiling one or two packages at a time instead of, oh, 30 Smile

And I know it gets the 404 errors because it is trying to get outdated packages, but the install manual TELLS you to do an emerge --sync as soon as you have internet access....
Any way to do that as a crontab in a way that wouldn't disrupt site functions?
KermMartian wrote:
Any way to do that as a crontab in a way that wouldn't disrupt site functions?

you *COULD*, but I'd say its better not to. For one, updates don't always compile right (I had to do a package re-emerge for a stubborn QT library that refused to emerge correctly). Plus, its a good idea to always do a "-av" and review what it plans to do. That, and its nice to know if you have to do "etc-update" or not Wink

Other than those reasons, you could just add it to crontab like any other command (--sync would be the only one that I would actually add to crontab though, i wouldn't do the --update for the reasons above)

If you insist on having --update run automatically, just add it to the --sync command via && (eg, emerge --sync && emerge --update --deep --newuse system && emerge --update --deep --newuse world) - obviously any updates won't take affect until those apps are restarted (so if apache running and it gets updated, the "old" one will still keep running until you do "/etc/init.d/apache2 restart")
Hmm, perhaps I'll skip that then. I don't HAVE to have the latest stuff the minute it is released.
KermMartian wrote:
Hmm, perhaps I'll skip that then. I don't HAVE to have the latest stuff the minute it is released.

*minute it is marked stable Wink
right right. Stability is always a good thing. So I'm going to try to bring this over as soon as we have internet set up so I can get this show on the road. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours