Now that pvp is not allowed, there is no point in having a non-move time before each teleport and a teleport cooldown.
I guess the same goes for enderchests and signshops.

What I (and also some other people) want is setting the difficulty higher, since the danger of PvP is gone mobs etc can be stronger.
Yes, to make sure Zombie Zack can do his job. Gotta get brains from someone for the ZombieZack Cafe.
Monkey0x9 wrote:

Now that pvp is not allowed, there is no point in having a non-move time before each teleport and a teleport cooldown.
I guess the same goes for enderchests and signshops.

What I (and also some other people) want is setting the difficulty higher, since the danger of PvP is gone mobs etc can be stronger.

I agree with all of this. The teleportation cooldowns and warmups were all mainly based around PvP, especially combat logging. Now that there is no more open PvP, I don't think it serves a major purpose anymore.

Enderchests were also primarily disabled to prevent people from cowering and hiding all their riches in a chest no one could ever steal from. In standard setting, these make for great backpacks on caving trips and overall great convenient, universal access to a small selection of items.

The difficulty setting is something I've wanted to have upped for the longest time since mobs are honestly nothing more than a slight annoyance, and target practice. Since PvP challenges are gone especially, it'd be fun to still have something interesting by nights when the mobs come out. Of course, if anyone has a well lit location, then increasing server difficulty won't do anything noticeable. The adventures out into the wilderness will have to become more strategic though, and you can't just run around having not made the necessary preps to defend yourself. Even if I were to see from the eyes of a newer member who is still starting from scratch in the wilderness, I think it would be fun. The mobs I face in cave systems and out at night are part of what make it fun to adventure.

Here is a summary of what increasing the difficulty would entail, which isn't anything super significant
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Difficulty
also on that page: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Difficulty#Effects_which_increase_in_response_to_various_difficulty_conditions

If the difficulty setting were to be changed, pigmen that spawn in nether portals would need to be nerfed almost certainly since increasing the difficulty will result in 2-3 times the rate.
I'm glad we have *finally* changed to arena pvp; as for people asking about harder difficulty, perhaps instead we could set up buffed monster spawner (Blazes riding fire-proofed cave spiders, size 20 slimes, double-healthed zombies, etc) dungeons in some areas? that way people newer to minecraft or use to easier areas only have to steer clear of... whatever you call these areas.

you can expect me on to join in these shenanigans!
once I remove my current house and build something prettier.
I don't know what we're at now but I have seen zombie villagers so I'd assume we're at "Normal." Bumping it to Hard is something to entertain.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I don't know what we're at now but I have seen zombie villagers so I'd assume we're at "Normal." Bumping it to Hard is something to entertain.

Nope the server is at "easy" difficulty so it would be nice to go from easy to hard Smile.
Upping the difficulty does sound fun, but my first thought is what would new players do? If people are constantly attacked by mobs they can't beat, they will leave. I've seen this happen myself. Maybe we increase it slowly? Or do what Luxen said at least for the time being? I'm already not building at night because of mobs. This would make building and caving even more difficult. I thought we wanted people to stop hiding?
If we up the difficulty to max, I suggest providing starter kits for new players to use to defend themselves. enchanted iron armor, and some tools/building supplies.
Yes, I agree starter kits, just maybe not with enchanted iron.
I thought I might want to point out that the railway system is not functional at the moment. Regardless of button presses, it always sends you northwards.
The website at mc.cemetech.net needs updating.
Ivoah wrote:
The website at mc.cemetech.net needs updating.

You're right, it does. But given that about everyone on the server just uses ~map or whatever, and that perhaps all the traffic is to the map, it's not going to see an update soon. Except for the rules, I gotta update those. Wink
This server sounds fun.... I might try it out once I get Minecraft myself. And as for starter packs, these are a great idea. Some things to put in it would be:
a hoe
seeds
iron armor
a bow with all applicable enchantments
10 arrows
64 stone blocks
64 torches
one iron door
a button and one stone pressure plate for door
one iron sword
and some other things.
caleb1997 wrote:
This server sounds fun.... I might try it out once I get Minecraft myself. And as for starter packs, these are a great idea. Some things to put in it would be:
a hoe
seeds
iron armor
a bow with all applicable enchantments
10 arrows
64 stone blocks
64 torches
one iron door
a button and one stone pressure plate for door
one iron sword
and some other things.

I don't know about giving a bow or cobble, maybe just this:

hoe
iron amor
torches
stone pick
stone sword
I just want to say that I tried out the Minecraft server today, and I am very impressed! Pretty fun to just explore and things, and thanks to Chaur who helped me get started! Smile Not sure how much time I can give it; but I'll probably pop in here and there.

And on topic, I think just giving the basics as Unicorn suggested might be a good idea. Smile
MateoConLechuga wrote:
I just want to say that I tried out the Minecraft server today, and I am very impressed! Pretty fun to just explore and things, and thanks to Chaur who helped me get started! Smile

And on topic, I think just giving the basics as Unicorn suggested might be a good idea. Smile

<3 You're welcoommeee Very Happy I like helping people.
I do also think if we are going to up the difficulty we should definitely give out starter kits. Stone sword, pick, axe, some food, and leather (or iron if we go to hard mode?) armour would be enough.
I love the server. But, is there any way to connect to it through a public WiFi that may not have port forwarding set up?

I can't connect to ANY server AT ALL. It pings the server but always says "Connection Refused". I'm on the latest client, so it's not that...
Angelstorm9x3 wrote:

I love the server. But, is there any way to connect to it through a public WiFi that may not have port forwarding set up?

I can't connect to ANY server AT ALL. It pings the server but always says "Connection Refused". I'm on the latest client, so it's not that...

I did a bit of research, and it seems there's a big issue with this that seems very complex. You can try googling the error message, and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.
I've never hit this problem before, so I couldn't say from experience myself.

Glad you're enjoying the server; welcome! If you're into building cool things, that's hopefully what we'll get to focus on as a server in making towns cool places to visit, and connecting the towns with paths and bridges and such. If you have any comments/questions/suggestions, they're welcome! Hope to see you around!
I wanted to let everyone know that we have re-enabled player SignShops! You can Buy, Sell, Trade, and Share with your very own SignShops, built either in your town or in wilderness. We had toyed with player SignShops when global PvP was still enabled, but they could have been used to steal from other towns, so we turned them off again. I look forward to see what people will be selling, and what kinds of fancy shops will be created. I know the Arcadians plan to make a shop in the long-abandoned skyscraper near spawn.
Angelstorm9x3 wrote:

That is probably because public wifi networks block outgoing ports including 25565 wich Minecraft uses. You can check if they block that port via this site (if you're connected to that network): http://portquiz.net:25565/.
If you can see that site it means the problem is something else, if you don't see the site they are blocking that outgoing port. A way to bypass that is using a VPN.

KermMartian wrote:
I wanted to let everyone know that we have re-enabled player SignShops! You can Buy, Sell, Trade, and Share with your very own SignShops, built either in your town or in wilderness. We had toyed with player SignShops when global PvP was still enabled, but they could have been used to steal from other towns, so we turned them off again. I look forward to see what people will be selling, and what kinds of fancy shops will be created. I know the Arcadians plan to make a shop in the long-abandoned skyscraper near spawn.

Yay, now I can start creating a lot of shops, and I also heard that Arcadia has some plans with a shopping-centre Smile.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours