I'm having trouble lighting a Nether portal to spawn some Zombie Pigmen in the Overworld. Obviously the flint & steel method is blocked; I've also tried using a lava source block to catch fire to a wooden plank next to the portal frame, and using redstone and a dispenser to shoot a fire charge into a block next to the portal frame, but neither are working. Am I doing something wrong or being a total noob? Both of the above methods work in SSP, I'm guessing they're blocked on the server to prevent griefing.

I should mention that this is in the wilderness, so I have no control over the fire perms.
JamesV wrote:
I'm having trouble lighting a Nether portal to spawn some Zombie Pigmen in the Overworld. Obviously the flint & steel method is blocked; I've also tried using a lava source block to catch fire to a wooden plank next to the portal frame, and using redstone and a dispenser to shoot a fire charge into a block next to the portal frame, but neither are working. Am I doing something wrong or being a total noob? Both of the above methods work in SSP, I'm guessing they're blocked on the server to prevent griefing.

I should mention that this is in the wilderness, so I have no control over the fire perms.

I don't see any reason for the portal-lighting method to be held as a secret (I mean, seriously), so here it is: next to the portal, place a dispenser with flint and steel in it. Activate said dispenser, phwam you have a lit portal.
Admins: y'all should investigate. Only Cemetech seems to have the issue.
CVSoft wrote:
I don't see any reason for the portal-lighting method to be held as a secret (I mean, seriously), so here it is: next to the portal, place a dispenser with flint and steel in it. Activate said dispenser, phwam you have a lit portal.

Thanks CVSoft, although that didn't work either :/ I'm guessing it's blocked by the same mechanic that's blocking the other methods. The dispenser fires and emits the puff of smoke, but the flint & steel doesn't lose any durability, much the same as if you try to "use" it normally by right-clicking.
CVSoft wrote:

Investigate what? Come to think of it I'm pretty sure we purposefully prohibited Flint and Steel and using dispensers is a round-about way of getting past the limitation. Shame. Neutral Surprised
But then may I ask how some people have gold farms using nether portals? Is the fire stuff toggleable as a town leader?
comicIDIOT wrote:
CVSoft wrote:

Investigate what? Come to think of it I'm pretty sure we purposefully prohibited Flint and Steel and using dispensers is a round-about way of getting past the limitation. Shame. Neutral Surprised
If that's the case then that's fine Smile It's just that I was told online yesterday (by Kerm and others) that I should be able to light a portal myself. If I'm not meant to be able to, that's not a problem, I'm only questioning it as I've been told otherwise Smile
It's been a while since we had started the server (1.7) and I can't find any official documentation on why, it could very well be the whole fire permissions for towns or something and totally unrelated to an administrative decision. So, it's not something I can enforce (as it's not a rule) nor really care to look into fixing as people are getting along just fine. If people have been complaining, I certainly haven't been around when they were or they aren't letting me know when I am around.

Unicorn wrote:
But then may I ask how some people have gold farms using nether portals? Is the fire stuff toggleable as a town leader?

If you read CVSofts reply Wink Also, I can light nether portals.
comicIDIOT wrote:
It's been a while since we had started the server (1.7) and I can't find any official documentation on why, it could very well be the whole fire permissions for towns or something and totally unrelated to an administrative decision. So, it's not something I can enforce (as it's not a rule) nor really care to look into fixing as people are getting along just fine. If people have been complaining, I certainly haven't been around when they were or they aren't letting me know when I am around.
Ok no problem, thanks for clarifying. It's no doubt a town permission / admin only thing, which is fine Smile
Fire and the ability to light portals is indeed disabled in the wilderness. To get the portals lit you must either claim the portals in a town (fire spread does NOT have to be enabled), or you can try asking one of the admin to light it for you, as comic mentioned.
I made a kicklist to get a list of the people being kicked on the MC-server. It shows all kicks starting from 30 Mar 2015, and it recalculates it when you visit the page.
It's located at http://kicklist.monkey0x9.me. Alternatively you can do "%kicklist" ingame or on #cemetech-mc, so CVBot can give you the link to click on.

If you have any suggestion, tell me Smile.
There seems to be a glitch with the thing...? It didn't get my whole name despite the IRC chat showing it.

Quote:
icIDIOT was kicked (Is a Self-Kicking admin.)
comicIDIOT wrote:
There seems to be a glitch with the thing...? It didn't get my whole name despite the IRC chat showing it.

Quote:
icIDIOT was kicked (Is a Self-Kicking admin.)

Thats because I cut some character in the front to remove the color code numbers, but it looks like you didn't had any color code in front of your name. I will look in another method to remove those color codes so your name will stay as it is.
EDIT: I fixed it, now you can see your whole name Smile.
EDIT 2: I seperated the kick message and the username, so now it's possible to sort on username or kick message.
While finishing up the abba caving event point, I erected a statue of Kerm, staring thoughtfully into a torch:

Very Happy
Wow, what a realistic-looking statue! Your masterpiece is nearly on the level of a certain well-known piece of French sculpture. It was a very fun game of Abba Caving, although unfortunately the initial cave was cleaned out. Congrats to CharlesSprinkle for a well-deserved victory, and I look forward to playing again soon. I hope more of you join us for our next Abba Caving adventure!
KermMartian wrote:

It was a very fun game of Abba Caving, although unfortunately the initial cave was cleaned out. Congrats to CharlesSprinkle for a well-deserved victory, and I look forward to playing again soon. I hope more of you join us for our next Abba Caving adventure!

It was a pretty fun game of abba caving, I agree! However, I also agree that it's unfortunate that our initial cave gave the false impression that we had a good cave system that was ultimately explored when you went deeper.

Thanks tifreak and Kerm for playing! I hope we'll get a better cave system next time, and I hope more members join in!

See http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=236650#236650
So after the kicklist I now made an deathlist wich shows all the deaths starting from 30 Mar 2015, and it recalculates it when you visit/refresh the page.
It's located at http://kicklist.monkey0x9.me/indax.php . Alternatively you can do "%deathlist" ingame or on #cemetech-mc, so CVBot can give you the link to click on.
With 1.9 nearing, there has been recent discussion about things to do in the remaining days of the current 1.8 map as far as keeping things more interesting and doing things just for the fun of it in ways.

A few points I'd like to discuss include
- Map difficulty
- The nether
- The end

Difficulty
The server difficulty has been changed from easy to normal as of today. Mobs now have a more noticeable but still small chance of spawning with armor and perhaps a low-level enchantment.
For more info on how difficulty affects gameplay, see
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Difficulty#Effects_which_increase_in_response_to_various_difficulty_conditions

While I think that is makes things more interesting in some ways, I am a fan of hard difficulty. However, I know this is not the opinion of everyone. What thoughts does everyone else have on this? And if hard difficulty seems a bit intimidating, would it possibly sway any opinions if the server had a day or two that it was hard difficulty as a trial period-- would anyone be open to it? Of course, this all being after we see how normal difficulty is.

The Nether
This is an idea originally proposed by tifreak8x--

tifreak8x wrote:

<CemetecMC> (M) [tifreak8x] You know, I'd love to go explore the nether for this world before the closing of the map

<CemetecMC> (M) [tifreak8x] Think of all the fortresses not explored

I think it would generate more interest in coming online to bring back more activity, since having the nether has been a long-lost feature that everyone has wanted to have, but couldn't have for economical and travel-related reasons. But as the map comes to a close and these things begin to potentially loosen up, I believe it would be great fun to explore the nether, shoot some ghasts, find and raid some fortresses, and fight some wither skeletons and blazes. Thoughts?

The End
It is more well-known that one of the main features that will be upgraded in 1.9 is the ender dragon fight to be made more difficult. This means that this will be the last chance to do a 'classic' style ender dragon fight. I think it would be cool to use this as another reason to bring people on the server together as we start to close out this map. We could arrange a certain time that best fits many peoples' schedules, and all do the dragon fight.

Discussion for 1.9
Of course, these are all also simultaneously relevant topics for 1.9 that should be discussed here, and in the other topics linked in that topic by Comic.
As per the quote, I would very much like to go explore the nether. I don't really feel the need/want to build so much right now, because I feel in order to do things properly, I'd need to restart from scratch. I'd rather use that energy towards a 1.9 fresh start. Plus I've been learning things, so that's always fun as well.

I'd really like to have the nether opened up soonish/nowish, so much unexplored area, so little time.
I'm against opening the nether because there wouldn't be any interest. It'd either be "Why bother, we're just gunna switch to 1.9 soon" or "I just built an awesome place in the Nether, we can't switch to 1.9 yet!" Especially if we get new users through this, they may not take kindly to that.

I think leaving the Nether, should it be opened, for 1.9 would be a good enough draw for (some) users to play with us again.
Had to share this with you all. Found it on youtube. You Minecrafters will roll on the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qEEd7J3DBo

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours