net neutrality is bad D:<
 6%  [ 1 ]
net neutrality is ok/other
 18%  [ 3 ]
net neutrality is good :D
 75%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 16

Any opinions?
I for one don't like net neutrality. Anything sponsored by George Soros can't be good.
SpaceCat wrote:
I for one don't like net neutrality.

Would you mind elaborating?
My opinions are as follows: You have at least a little bit of choice for your ISP in the US. If a company isn't net neutral, you simply don't use them as your ISP. They don't get money, and they either change or go out of business.

Capitalism at its finest. I don't think the government should have stepped in.

EDIT: But morally, I support net neutrality. When I'm out of my parents' house, you bet I won't get Comcast.
pimathbrainiac wrote:
You have at least a little bit of choice for your ISP in the US.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Good joke, man. Solid.
merthsoft wrote:
pimathbrainiac wrote:

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new

At my appartment I have a "choice" of Time Warner Cable or paying AT&T twice as much for 1/10 the speed.
merthsoft wrote:
pimathbrainiac wrote:

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new

On my street, we have 2 lines. One through Frontier (ugh) for a decent price and somewhat fast speeds, and shoddy, intermittent connection (we lose internet like 2 days a month, don't really get that..) or XFinity (comcast) and their prices are through the roof. :/
I don't even have a choice. There's only one company that services my address.
I also have one choice, Time Warner. I pay >$50/month for "30Mbps down" and "5Mbps up". My actual speeds are 2Mbps down and 80Kbps up, and Time Warner thumbs their nose at me if I call and ask them to investigate why my speeds are so low. Net neutrality is absolutely necessary to protect a utility that has become as vital to daily life as (say) gas.
There are people in New York City that only have access to one ISP? Shock

I mean seriously, most rural communities surrounding my city of 140K have at least two ISPs and I'm not even in USA.
DJ_O wrote:
There are people in New York City that only have access to one ISP? Shock

I mean seriously, most rural communities surrounding my city of 140K have at least two ISPs and I'm not even in USA.

Its expensive to wire up the entire large appartment buildings with cabling for more than one ISP.

That said he may have two options as I'd be surprised if DSL wasn't an option along side the Cable but for most people DSL is too slow to be worth looking into unless it is your only option.
That's odd. We have a choice of 3 cable ISPs and AT&T. I thought that was more common.
pimathbrainiac wrote:
That's odd. We have a choice of 3 cable ISPs and AT&T. I thought that was more common.
What magical fairy land do you exist in? Even Comcast and Time Warner have admitted they explicitly avoid building out in areas that a competitor exists because it just isn't worth the cost.
Correction, 2. Comcast and Charter. I just checked. I still thought choices were more common.
pimathbrainiac wrote:
Correction, 2. Comcast and Charter. I just checked. I still thought choices were more common.

Do you base all of your opinions off of "facts" that you just kinda make up?
Meh, all that I really care about is being able to access the Internets with relative ease, and pay a reasonable price. If that's the case, then I am happy. Smile
Net neutrality won't do anything about underdelivery of performance, unfortunately.

What it will do is prevent a Time Warner, Comcast, Verizon, or AT&T from saying "we're going to slow down Cemetech because they're not paying us for faster access". It'll prevent them from saying "we'll slow down or block legal downloads that aren't from our partners". That kind of thing.
Philosophically, I like net neutrality. Politically, I would be opposed to it, if it weren't for the insane subsidies the government has already put into building out broadband infrastructure. Companies that build their own infrastructure out of pocket shouldn't be subject to this, but since everyone I'm aware of goes in for the taxpayer-funded-cashgrab, I'm not bothered by their being subject to obligations to the taxpayers.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours