I have been woking on a routine that removes an element from anywhere in a list and appending it to the end of the list.
Input: Ans=number to move to the end of the list
Output: Ans=list with moved element
Destroyed: three real variables and modifies the list

This code prevents the addition of elements that are not already in the list.

Code:
Ans->A
dim(ʟQ->Q
max(seq(X(A=ʟQ(X)),X,1,Q→B
If Ans=1:DeltaList(cumSum(ʟQ→ʟQ
If B≥2 and B≤Q-1:augment(seq(ʟQ(X),X,1,Ans-1),seq(ʟQ(X),X,Ans+1,Q→ʟQ
If B≠0:Q-1→dim(ʟQ
ʟQ
If B≠0:augment(Ans,{A→ʟQ

Are there any optimizations? Is there a better way to do this? Could SortA() be used instead?
If this is the most efficient method, then I may post this in the Code Fragments and Routines topic.
List operations are fun to implemenet, because there's often an elegant, one-line solution to the problem. Or at least, one-line.

The following line moves the Ans-th element of ʟQ to the end of the list, retaining the order of all other elements.

Code:
augment(seq(ʟQ(X+(X≥Ans)),X,1,dim(ʟQ)-1),{ʟQ(Ans→ʟQ
Runer112 wrote:
List operations are fun to implemenet, because there's often an elegant, one-line solution to the problem. Or at least, one-line.

The following line moves the Ans-th element of ʟQ to the end of the list, retaining the order of all other elements.

Code:
augment(seq(ʟQ(X+(X≥Ans)),X,1,dim(ʟQ)-1),{ʟQ(Ans→ʟQ

I've been meaning to ask this before, but you did it too so I might as well ask it here: what does this bit do? (off-topic btw, sorry)

Code:
(X+(X≥Ans))

is it a shorthand conditional statement or something? I'd have googled it but I have no idea what to search for.
Thanks Runner112! I did not know that you could create a list while omitting an element.

I did not clarify that I first searched for the number and moved that element. To perfom the same task as my code, here is your method modified:

Code:
max(seq(X(Ans=ʟQ(X)),X,1,dim(ʟQ
If Ans≥1 and Ans≤dim(ʟQ:augment(seq(ʟQ(X+(X≥Ans)),X,1,dim(ʟQ)-1),{ʟQ(Ans→ʟQ

M. I. Wright: It is indeed a conditional statement. Here is some information about this technique.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours