I'm working on an IRC bot written in Lua for the ESP8266. Currently it only does google searches and says where to find it's source code. It's in #esp8266 on freenode if you want to check it out. The source is here: https://github.com/Ivoah/ESP8266-IRC-bot
I notice that it's written in Lua; is that standard for ESP8266 programs? Would you not be able to fit much more featureful programs using C or C++?
KermMartian wrote:
I notice that it's written in Lua; is that standard for ESP8266 programs? Would you not be able to fit much more featureful programs using C or C++?

ESP8266 isn't a standalone device, so it is a matter of what the microcontroller/etc. uses and what the programmer is comfortable with.

EDIT: Apparently it's smarter than I thought it was. Whoops.
CVSoft wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

ESP8266 isn't a standalone device, so it is a matter of what the microcontroller/etc. uses and what the programmer is comfortable with.
The ESP8266 has a programmable microcontroller on-board, and much of the existing development work focuses on building function-complete applications on its own microcontroller with no external components other than power.
KermMartian wrote:

The ESP8266 can be programmed in C, but lua makes connecting to wifi/using sockets so much easier, plus it has good string utilities.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours