Hello.
I want finally, (for the first time ever) buy me a domain name and switch from the buggy free services to something paid, that is -and should be- more reliable.

But now I face a problem. I don't have an idea for a domain name! My package would be for 12 months, as it is cheaper (i get the first 3 for free) so I have to choose wisely.

I bought Muessigb.net.

=> Do you have any suggestions? My possible tlds are .de, .eu, .com, .net, .org, .info and .biz. Also this site is going to be for all my projects and a high speed mirror for all my files that i host here, as i have unlimited traffic and 15gb of space. Something with muessigb, benedikt, darkestex, dark, muessig, space, web, projects in its name would be good.

Suggested names by you:

muessigb.net - Ivoah
    darkspacecalc.com - gaventemples31415
    ramclear.net

Thanks for any answers!
Is muessigb.net available?
Ivoah wrote:
Is muessigb.net available?

I just checked and yes, it is. Thanks for the (kinda obvious) suggestion. I will collect a few more and then decide which one to take. Smile
calculator.horse
Tari wrote:
calculator.horse

lol
mb.calc.net
www.darkspacecalc.com
Rather than look for suggestions, why not think of something that you can grow with? If you go by Muessigb on most of the web, then using that is a really good idea. Secondly, there are new gTLD extensions available.

As a bonus, you want a domain that's easy to spell and a bit catchy/easy to remember.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Rather than look for suggestions, why not think of something that you can grow with? If you go by Muessigb on most of the web, then using that is a really good idea. Secondly, there are new gTLD extensions available.

As a bonus, you want a domain that's easy to spell and a bit catchy/easy to remember.

Yes, you are probably right. With the gTLDs, I can't use them, as it would cost extra money, so taking the already included .net domain i am probably going to take muessigb.net.
The only fact is, that I am bad in deciding stuff and I maybe think, that a other name could sound better. I have to take this domain for quite some time. Also, I don't know if I want to pay 46euros a year. I will have to decide about that later. Maybe I will have to stick with my free website, because there are close to zero people using my website (I guess, I don't have any kind of stats, so I can only assume).
Maybe I should just buy me a domain without webspace. I'm not sure about that whole thing.
At the very least, buy the domain name. You can point it towards other locations. Such as you can point the A-Name to the host you have now. You can also setup a redirect so that viewers to Muessigb.net are forwarded to the .tk domain.

Later on you can buy a hosting package with the domain registrar or somewhere else. Take this time to put aside €50 so next year you can purchase space on a host. Then next year save another 50 for the year after that. So on and so on.
comicIDIOT wrote:
At the very least, buy the domain name. You can point it towards other locations. Such as you can point the A-Name to the host you have now. You can also setup a redirect so that viewers to Muessigb.net are forwarded to the .tk domain.

Later on you can buy a hosting package with the domain registrar or somewhere else. Take this time to put aside €50 so next year you can purchase space on a host. Then next year save another 50 for the year after that. So on and so on.

Hmm, I just checked. The domain alone costs about 15 euros per year. So shouldn't I buy a more neutral one than muessigb.net, as I thought about giving some spare webspace to family members, or other other people I know. But all in all it might be the best option.
That's entirely up to you. Myself, I have expanded into multiple domains for multiple things. I have a domain for my personal use, my professional use, and my photography. I don't want random saved photos, screen shots, and other miscellaneous things associated with my professional image or photography so those go on comicidiot.com, where my resume and other related documents go on my professional-oriented website. Of course, I started out on comicidiot.com for everything. Personal, Professional, and Photography.

As far as your family goes, if they don't need a front-facing web site just set them up with FTP access to a directory so they can upload photos and documents for safe keeping. As a bonus, if you set the family FTP directories up in the root HTML directory of your website they can link others to what they upload (and have a web page). However, I wouldn't concern yourself with a more general domain since this seems to be your generosity rather than their request.

If your family and friends do want this, rather than you offering it to them, tell them it'll be €10 a year. If you have 3 participants that's €30 less that you have to save/spend per year out of pocket, which is already half your cost. Of course price it out how you want, if at all.
comicIDIOT wrote:
That's entirely up to you. Myself, I have expanded into multiple domains for multiple things. I have a domain for my personal use, my professional use, and my photography. I don't want random saved photos, screen shots, and other miscellaneous things associated with my professional image or photography so those go on comicidiot.com, where my resume and other related documents go on my professional-oriented website. Of course, I started out on comicidiot.com for everything. Personal, Professional, and Photography.

As far as your family goes, if they don't need a front-facing web site just set them up with FTP access to a directory so they can upload photos and documents for safe keeping. As a bonus, if you set the family FTP directories up in the root HTML directory of your website they can link others to what they upload (and have a web page). However, I wouldn't concern yourself with a more general domain since this seems to be your generosity rather than their request.

If your family and friends do want this, rather than you offering it to them, tell them it'll be €10 a year. If you have 3 participants that's €30 less that you have to save/spend per year out of pocket, which is already half your cost. Of course price it out how you want, if at all.

You're right. I totally agree with you. So i will register the webspace with muessigb.net from the beginning, as it would be cheaper than two seperate packages.
Yay!, I just bought Muessigb.net Very Happy
Thanks for your suggestions anyway!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours