http://cemetech.webhop.net --> http://bar2.cc.cooper.edu:29100
However. I am going to move it to my apartment soon, which is not behind a firewall.
KermMartian wrote:
http://cemetech.webhop.net --> http://bar2.cc.cooper.edu:29100
However. I am going to move it to my apartment soon, which is not behind a firewall.

What sort of connection will you be having at your aparment? DSL? Cable? Either way you will have an upload speed of >512KBits - which, of course, means that it will only take ~8 people/connections to drop this site down to 56k speeds - and thats assuming a best case of 512k.... (and with bots/SAX repeatedly hitting it up, that won't be hard to do...)

And anyone downloading files from here (such as from your archives) will get ticked at not being able to download at full speed Wink

I think a much better idea would be to keep the site being "professionally" hosted, and have Cemetech0 be a general-purpose server for things like GCN, Scorch3d, or Blockland (obviously not all at once - I don't think the box could handle that) where bandwidth isn't nearly as big of an issue
We were thinking of getting 3mbps down/768 up or higher if it's available. I see your point though.
Maybe he can. Let's be optimistic!
Either way, it's definitely gonna do Blockland and Scorched.
KermMartian wrote:
We were thinking of getting 3mbps down/768 up or higher if it's available. I see your point though.

yea, but you NEVER want to max your upstream or your downstream will become crap. While at first that might seem paradoxical, a vast majority of connections are TCP (basically anything except streaming media and games), which means the server won't send the next downstream packet until it receives an ACK packet from your computer. If your upstream is being jammed by other requests, your comp won't be able to get the ACK packets out fast enough to keep up with your downstream. I don't think your roomates will like you dropping the downstream down to crawling speeds because you are running a webserver Wink
Hmm, what you're saying makes a lot of sense. Perhaps I will just use it for Blocklanding, gCn, etc then...
KermMartian wrote:
Hmm, what you're saying makes a lot of sense. Perhaps I will just use it for Blocklanding, gCn, etc then...

What? Do you think I would make something like that up? Razz I actually first heard about that when reading the Azureus Bittorrent client configuration Wiki, where it warned that not setting an upload limit would end up lowering your download speeds. I never really thought about that before...
Nor to I. But it makes a ton of sense; if, for example, your comp sent an ack for every byte instead of every packet, your downstream speed would limit your upstream speed and visa versa.
KermMartian wrote:
Nor to I. But it makes a ton of sense; if, for example, your comp sent an ack for every byte instead of every packet, your downstream speed would limit your upstream speed and visa versa.

Yeah, but that is crazy inefficient Razz
Exactly. But if the upstream has to send an ack via downstream every N bytes, then the downstream speed must be limited by upstream*2 bytes/time.
d00d, fix the logout issue soon....most of us use public computers all the time. its not that hard either. think ~5 minutes.
KermMartian wrote:
Would it be a huge problem if I waited until the Cemetech0 migration?
I guess it would be. It's not as if everyone else is going to Cemetech. Wink I wish... Sad

Anyway, I'll do that right now.
<wishful thinking> fix posts being marked as read/not new when you leave the site and then come back without ever actually going to the thread.... </wishful thinking>
KermMartian wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Would it be a huge problem if I waited until the Cemetech0 migration?
I guess it would be. It's not as if everyone else is going to Cemetech. Wink I wish... Sad

Anyway, I'll do that right now.

....</pestering until its done>
Kllrnohj wrote:
<wishful thinking> fix posts being marked as read/not new when you leave the site and then come back without ever actually going to the thread.... </wishful thinking>
I definitely agree. phpBB needs to come up with a better way of marking new threads than last visit time.
KermMartian wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
I definitely agree. phpBB needs to come up with a better way of marking new threads than last visit time.

actually, its something you have changed. This is the only PHPBB site i have been to that marks all threads as read as soon as you log in. All the other ones mark them as read when I go to them. In fact, most have the problem of NOT marking all threads as read when visited. It is definitely something you have caused in some modification or another....
Getting back on-topic, let's remind Kerm to fix this stupid logout bug. Mad
Surprised Did someone delete my post! I said that it only marks threads as read when I go and read them, unless I log out in between.
KermMartian wrote:
Surprised Did someone delete my post! I said that it only marks threads as read when I go and read them, unless I log out in between.

Correct - but it should NOT mark all as read just because you logged out. THAT is the problem (it also happens for me if i close then reopen firefox)

It is NOT a phpBB problem because this only happens on THIS site, so it is a problem with YOUR code - so fix it! (along with the logout bug)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours