Hey, that moremem program is really neat and useful! There's just one issue: for some reason, it messes with the Catalog Help; when you try and use the catalog help for any command after enabling it, the description becomes random garbage. Above the vertical bar is approximately "0~θµr 3", and then attempting to scroll up or down shows "uwAxes" in that line, without the ability to get back to the other garbage
Wow, I can't believe I've never encountered this topic before!
I can confirm that the catalogue help bug exists. However my CE (using CEmu) still doesn't really utilize the extra RAM it says it has. I can't unarchive large variables after a certain point even though it says I have 804,000 bytes of RAM left. I saw PT_'s post about the file download Mateo provided being incorrect so would that have to do anything with it?
Why is this program not more widely used? Razz
Edit: Oh, I got trolled Laughing
TheLastMillennial wrote:

Same!! I'll test this on CEmu first, but does the catalog bug have any other side effects? Also, does it mean that catalog help is unusable, or is the help page overwritten with garbage after a certain point?

Side note: Is the Flash chip 4MB only (iirc, it's combined w/ the CPU), with 3.5 MB usable, and the .5 MB for OS use, or is there a bigger chip installed?
I got trolled by this too, but look at the date it was posted. Wink
SM84CE wrote:
TheLastMillennial wrote:

Same!! I'll test this on CEmu first, but does the catalog bug have any other side effects? Also, does it mean that catalog help is unusable, or is the help page overwritten with garbage after a certain point?

Side note: Is the Flash chip 4MB only (iirc, it's combined w/ the CPU), with 3.5 MB usable, and the .5 MB for OS use, or is there a bigger chip installed?

lol 2 year old post that we're all replying too... Hopefully the problems are/ will get fixed... That, and who needs 1MB RAM when you could just use the Archive...
I will just put it here, since I don't know any other good place to put this. After a lot of trying and debugging with CEmu, I think I understand most of the CSE/CE Image variable format.

The entire variable size is 22247 bytes, with the first 2 bytes being the size bytes, little-endian like normal. The next byte should always be $81, it can't be anything else or the image is marked invalid. The next 22242 bytes are the data for the pixels. The image size is 133x83, and each pixel occupies 2 bytes, like normal VRAM. The data seems to be in 565-format, also little-endian. So for example $86 $19 is rgb(49, 48, 49) (dark grey). After each row of 133 pixels (266 bytes) there are another 2 random bytes, which I can't figure out the meaning of, but those should be skipped. Thus, the total size is 83*(133 * 2 + 2) + 1 = 22245, and we're back at the variable size.

Btw, SC did this horrible wrong; compare

with
So what I don’t understand is why can I get help with almost anything I need help with, but I can’t get help on unlocking flash or allowing read and write to protected ports.

I can’t find anyone that wants to help me with that stuff. Like, I don’t mean to be hateful, but I simply need help.

You see, the Unsigned OS Receiver for the CSE caught my attention. I really like the concept of how it works and what it can do.

But I can understand if that’s not possible for the CE, but flash unlocking seems like an interesting subject to me.
There are probably several reasons for this:
Firstly, these kinds of things can be dangerous to run. If you were to make a mistake while writing a program that messes with flash, you might be unable to use your calculator without resending an OS or even brick your calc entirely.
Secondly, depending on what you mean by "flash unlock," the same things that you want to do could be used to bypass test mode. TI's monopoly depends on their calcs being used on standardized tests, and in order for standardized tests to allow them, it can't be possible for people to use them to cheat on tests. If people were to discover a method of loading arbitrary OSes or another hack that could potentially be used to cheat, TI might overreact by making changes to the hardware or software which "fixes" the issue by severely restricting what kinds of programs can run on the CE. As a result, people haven't really researched that kind of thing, and even if people did find something it's unlikely that they would release anything publicly.
Thirdly, it's possible that very few people actually understand what you're asking, and the few that do are refusing for reasons 1 or 2.

If you still want to do this, for whatever reason, you could read Cesium's source code to see how it makes RAM backups, I guess.
commandblockguy wrote:
There are probably several reasons for this:
Firstly, these kinds of things can be dangerous to run. If you were to make a mistake while writing a program that messes with flash, you might be unable to use your calculator without resending an OS or even brick your calc entirely.
Secondly, depending on what you mean by "flash unlock," the same things that you want to do could be used to bypass test mode. TI's monopoly depends on their calcs being used on standardized tests, and in order for standardized tests to allow them, it can't be possible for people to use them to cheat on tests. If people were to discover a method of loading arbitrary OSes or another hack that could potentially be used to cheat, TI might overreact by making changes to the hardware or software which "fixes" the issue by severely restricting what kinds of programs can run on the CE. As a result, people haven't really researched that kind of thing, and even if people did find something it's unlikely that they would release anything publicly.
Thirdly, it's possible that very few people actually understand what you're asking, and the few that do are refusing for reasons 1 or 2.

If you still want to do this, for whatever reason, you could read Cesium's source code to see how it makes RAM backups, I guess.

Thanks, I really appreciate it!
Now I see why I can’t find any actual code documentations or forums about “unlocking flash” or whatever. I read about the CE’s ports, and I stumbled upon it, and at first sight, I could easily tell that trying to change the “flash protection status” (0028) port could easily cause is crashes, and bricking.
And, I don’t want to be the one responsible for any possible OS changes/updates that disable, or even remove, any kind of languages.

Oh, and I might read from Cesium’s source code. Thanks, anyways!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 7 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours