Lately, it seems my titanium collection is plagued. First, one developed unfix-able display issues then a second one came up with an address error. Fortunately, I fixed it by cleaning the PCB and reflashing the OS. Or so I thought.

I've been using this second one for some time with no crashes or errors but I just noticed it goes through batteries at an alarming rate. Something like 4 AAAs every about two weeks. It is not even actively used most of the time, it just sits in my bag for the occasional calculation and suddenly it simply won't power up. I am not even getting a low battery warning.

It's sibling on my workbench get's a lot more usage and it's still on the same pair of batteries a few months now. And I can't even remember when I changed the batteries on my TI-92 Plus.

I'll be measuring and comparing current draw of these calcs soon, but in the meantime have any of you guys ever had this kind of problem?
Sounds like you got some loose bits.
When a TI-68k eats batteries like a Nspire does, there's a problem indeed.
Well, I'm quite sure there is a problem but it is probably going to be difficult to find. When I got around to replacing the batteries, I noticed it had also lost the RAM contents (Got the "Initializing..." message) although the backup battery was in place and in good condition.

I measured current draw with the new batteries and couldn't find any appreciable difference from my other 89. I also inspected the PCB and couldn't find a short of any kind. I guess I'll have to wait and see. But it's bad not to be able to trust the calc in your bag Sad I'll probably start carrying my CX CAS with me although I prefer the 89 due to some small engineering programs I've written.
If you had buggy TSRs which prevented the calculator from going to sleep in the first place, batteries would last much less than two weeks.

The CX CAS has poor battery life, though it usually lasts longer than two weeks.
There is nothing different -program wise- in this 89 to any of my other 89s. Just TI BASIC programs and few official flash apps. There is definitely something wrong with the hardware...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours