Quote:
There's been a marked dearth of news lately, mainly because I just got done with all of my final exams and such. I'm now settled in to my summer classes, so I got a chance to release a BASIC game I wrote in my short breaks between studying for exams. It's a scorched earth clone, called Scarth. I was inspired after several of the forum members here offhandly griped about the lack of good games from the genre for z80 calcs. The final product is all-graphical, utilizing a total of 3 subprograms and comprising around 3k of programming. It's completely optimized, using exactly zero label/gotos in the best BASIC 1337 style. From the ticalc.org description:
ticalc.org wrote:
Scarth v1.0 is a full-featured, graphical Scorched Earth clone. You and the calculator face off in tanks on randomly-generated terrain, taking turns firing missiles at one another. I made this game after several community members lamented the lack of an adequate scorched earth game for the z80 calculator series. Under 3K; includes scoring, beautiful graphics, and more! Optimized for Doors CS 5 and higher.
Download:
Scarth v1.0
Cool, i am going to go download it now! Laughing

Hard to believe its in basic! (there is an asm version of tanks that is basically boxes, and almost no sense of which guy you are and which direction you are facing)
Awesome, I hope people like this. Smile It sounds positive so far...
Please remove this completely false line:

Quote:
Optimized for Doors CS 5 and higher.

The only DCS thing is its icon/header. This does NOT make it optimized, nor will running it from DCS affect it at all.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Please remove this completely false line:

Quote:
Optimized for Doors CS 5 and higher.

The only DCS thing is its icon/header. This does NOT make it optimized, nor will running it from DCS affect it at all.
Laughing Somehow I knew you would pick up on something like that. It doesn't optimize the program, it optimizes how Doors CS handles the programs and makes the DCS user's experience optimal by providing a more informative icon.
Relax Kllrnohj, it's a legit way for him to plug his project.
jpez wrote:
Relax Kllrnohj, it's a legit way for him to plug his project.

Its not legit. It implies DCS provides a faster program, when in truth it does not. It should say DCS compatible or something, NOT DCS Optimized.
Eh, perhaps. Rolling Eyes
Compatible then. Does the semantic difference really bother you that much? Sad
KermMartian wrote:

short answer: yes
Meh, I like the way it sounds though. I'm always one for a little bit of marketing.
KermMartian wrote:
Meh, I like the way it soubnds though. I'm always one for a little bit of marketing.

but that goes beyond marketing and is a straight up lie.
Umm, but it does optimize for the user...specifically, it optimizes the DCS6 interface.
And it automatically unarchives the other files that are needed to play the game. Wink

The game looks good, Kerm. Great job. Smile
Yay! You tried it? If there was one thing I could change, it would be finding a faster way to pixeltest for the falling tanks in the beginning.
Yeah, I did. Tried to find some optimizing, though it seems to be as 1337 as it can get. Wink As a matter of fact, spent 15 minutes working on something, that ended up adding about 20 bytes to it... <.<

Anyways, it looks nice. When are you going to add different weapons??
Laughing Which part of it were you trying to optimize? What did you change?
Ohh... I tried a For loop, for the main menu options, using a string with the sub( command to split it up... Worked well too... just 26 bytes larger...

Now, how bout them weapons?? Razz Laughing
That's actually an excellent idea- I just might do it. Very Happy
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

short answer: yes

Calm down dude! Is it even possible to call a command from DCS with BASIC?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours