I can't believe all the next-gen consoles are so expensive compared to last time. I might as well get a jacked up computer and find some PC games. I just hate mouse and keyboard sometimes though Sad

well, perhaps Wii will be my choice.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
My favorite system is the N64; not really so much for graphics, but for the gameplay and the memories I had with it Smile

SNES = System with greatest gameplay ever.

Seriously, I'm still playing Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Metroid, etc... on an SNES emulator, lol (hell, i play em on my PSP Very Happy )

N64 had some good games, but not nearly as many as SNES, which i've heard some people say was the highpoint of gaming systems (I even read somewhere that when the PSX came out, SNES was still selling more consoles than the PSX)

Quote:
I can't believe all the next-gen consoles are so expensive compared to last time. I might as well get a jacked up computer and find some PC games. I just hate mouse and keyboard sometimes though

Yeah, but thats because the next gen consoles ARE pcs. The XBox 360 has 3 dual-core IBM PowerPCs at ~3ghz each. Thats a hell of alot of power (and is expensive), along with a specially made ATi GPU that is currently more powerful and faster than the ATi desktop counter-parts. The Sony PS3 is costing so much do to being equipped with BlueRay drive. Look at standalone HDDVD and BlueRay players and you'll see they cost easily into the $500+ range if not more.

The keyboard/mouse scheme dominates at some gametypes, such as FPS and RTS, but a gamepad (or a wheel) is better for racing, platform, etc... But thats the beauty of a PC, just buy a gamepad and you have the best of both worlds Wink (M$ is even selling their XBox 360 controller for the PC - I'm thinking of getting it as I really do like that controller). You can also use the regular xbox or PS2 controller on your PC just fine (the xbox is easy to hook up to the PC, the PS2 requires a *bit* more work, but its not impossible)
The PS3 has 7 cores. If that's not a computer, I don't know what is.
KermMartian wrote:

the xbox 360 has 6 3ghz cores Wink

Although just step back and think a sec. Both the xbox 360 and PS3 demand massive threading. Currently there are like 2 games that are multithreaded on the PC (and even then its only 2 threads, not 6-7)

Wonder how much of that will ever get used, and how much of it is completely wasted?
Quote:
(M$ is even selling their XBox 360 controller for the PC - I'm thinking of getting it as I really do like that controller)

Laughing All you have to do is change the connector at the end (works on USB protocol, or at least the XBox controller did)

Quote:
Seriously, I'm still playing Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Metroid, etc... on an SNES emulator, lol (hell, I play em on my PSP Very Happy )

I have all kinds of emulators and I've build every DPadPro interface Razz
You know what's an awesome SNES game? RType3.
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

the xbox 360 has 6 3ghz cores Wink

Although just step back and think a sec. Both the xbox 360 and PS3 demand massive threading. Currently there are like 2 games that are multithreaded on the PC (and even then its only 2 threads, not 6-7)

Wonder how much of that will ever get used, and how much of it is completely wasted?

The G5 Quad has 8. And dont forgot that all of these are also 64 bit processors, not 32 bits.

[edit]

I bet someone will manage to install OS X on the XBox 360, or hack a G5 Quad to run the 360 operating system.
You know what would be cool in a home pc? Dual, dual core 64-bit processors. Mmmm, 256 bits of processing goodness.
Even though they don't offer that anywhere (that i know of) I am sure that if you build it yourself you can do that (would you have to do some tweaking to get the computer to use both, or would it do it by itself?)
I am sure you would have to build a driver for it to look at the others...
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Quote:
(M$ is even selling their XBox 360 controller for the PC - I'm thinking of getting it as I really do like that controller)

Laughing All you have to do is change the connector at the end (works on USB protocol, or at least the XBox controller did)

360 is a wireless controller, and the reciever is built into the xbox, so that wouldn't work
Quote:
You know what would be cool in a home pc? Dual, dual core 64-bit processors. Mmmm, 256 bits of processing goodness.

They have mobo's for that; they're all made by Tyan (they're the only ones who make crazy-a motherboards like that, and charge insane prices for them too Shock)
KermMartian wrote:

easy, just get a dual-socket opteron mobo... you can even get an SLi version Wink

or for more CPU goodness, get an 8 socket mobo and install 8 dual-core opterons for 16 64bit CPUs
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

easy, just get a dual-socket opteron mobo... you can even get an SLi version Wink

or for more CPU goodness, get an 8 socket mobo and install 8 dual-core opterons for 16 64bit CPUs
Oh. My. Goodness. I want that so much...
I did a quick search on ebay and there was someone selling a dual opteron px for $ 4600 (they were both i think v 256 or something like that). They are cheaper than the fx's (they outperform them too, atleast the 57), but they require buffered/registered ram and a server motherboard.
Ugh, that's a pain. Well, it's good to know that such a thing exists, anyway.
the Athlon64/X2/FX are all just opterons w/o registered memory. The current FX is always the fastest, and similarly spec'd A64 cores will outperform their opteron bretheren, as registered RAM is slower.

Aside from the RAM differences (and the opterons have two more hyper transport bridges - for dual-CPUs), however, they are the exact same - which is why the first FXes actually used the server mobo and socket 940 (and required the registered RAM)

newegg sells several opteron mobos (socket 940), and registered RAM isn't hard to find or expensive, newegg has all you need. Its not that exotic either, and won't cost all that much (you can get a dual-core opteron 270 for $470 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103552 )

@harq: please, PLEASE, actually do research before you make claims. You just make yourself look like an idiot when you make blatantly incorrect statements, such as the opterons outperforming the FXes
I said that the high end ones can outperform the 57's.
Quote:
I can't believe all the next-gen consoles are so expensive compared to last time. I might as well get a jacked up computer and find some PC games. I just hate mouse and keyboard sometimes though

well the cheapest one is gamecube wii which will be $200. It will also be the one to look out for because of its new controller with motion sensing technology. so if you are looking for the coolest i think the gamecube will be the best route to go because of the controller. Nintendo claims that if you are playing a sword fighting game all you have to do is make a slashing movement with the controller and it will slash on the game and if you are playing a shooting game just aim and pull the trigger underneath. also if you are playing a football game to snap the ball make a snapping motion and to pass make a passing motion. so it will be interesting to see what happens with the gc.[/quote]
lafferjm, its just the Nintendo Wii, not the Gamecube Wii, so you can't abbreviate it gc, as that refers to the gamecube, not the wii). Also, Nintendo says it will be $250, not $200. The motion sensing controllers will be cool, though, but the PS3 will also have motion sensitive controllers (altho the Wii ones have rumble, whereas the PS3 ones don't)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours