Should I make my program convert metric units to US units?
No.
 50%  [ 6 ]
Yes.
 50%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 12

What kinds of things do people want converted by a program instead of doing it by hand, besides temperatures? I haven't been working on anything lately, so I am looking for another project to work on. It does not have to be difficult because I am going to update the timer I made with pausing.

Edit: Wow. Now it seems like I have my hands totally full, with one project almost done and two more ideas after that. I can't believe I had no ideas now.[/u]
I think this would be kind of like making a quad solver... There already seems to be programs to convert units, I know I once wanted to make one and I just went over to Ti-calc and just picked one out out of the large selection offered there. This being said, you do you, and if you feel like making a unit converter then you go for it!
I agree with mr womp womp on this, there are so many converters out there, that it isn't really worth making and uploading one. Now, I am not saying to not make any converting programs, those can help build programming skills. Instead, maybe make a program that helps to solve an equation. Another option that you could do is if you really want to make a program to convert things, make one that converts most, if not all measurements. I don't believe that anyone has made one like that and if anyone would want a converter, they'd use this program.
I think I will make a unit converter because I cannot remember my gallons to my quarts to my pints to my cups without multiplying different numbers, and I tend to kind of be a perfectionist with my programs, so I would like mine useful to myself and without abbreviations so it is easy to tell what is what. Any other ideas?
Well, to help you out with the conversion program, here is a link. As for other program ideas, maybe you could make a program that have different random events to be used to finish arguments or make a decision or something like that. One part could be a coin flip and another a random number generator.
What do you mean by a program to finish arguments? Is it like a generator of phrases used to end conversations, such as "I am right and you are wrong," or do you mean something else?
MrDew25 suggests a magic 8-ball type program.
Well, I want to make a program that is useful in some way, or at least something that looks cool or is a challenge that I can be proud of finishing. Thanks for the ideas though. Very Happy
readroof2 wrote:
What do you mean by a program to finish arguments? Is it like a generator of phrases used to end conversations, such as "I am right and you are wrong," or do you mean something else?

lirtosiast wrote:
MrDew25 suggests a magic 8-ball type program.

No, what I meant is a program that would have different modes of giving a random answer. One, like I said, could be a random number generator, where you give the beginning and the end numbers and it gives a random number. Another could be a coin toss, where the answer is either heads or tails, but the answer would be random. Do you kind of understand what I meant by that now?
I could make a program to help you sing a song by displaying all of the words at the time to say them, going by the stanza and lines, clearing the home screen, and doing the next stanza. But the timing will be difficult. However, I could just write the program timing on my calculator in a program to display something to test it as I play a Youtube video of the song and word. Would that work?
That is a great idea! I never thought of that. It would, you could just use For loops that end right away and then clear the screen when that part is done. Another thing you could do is make a painting program. Have something like your icon or something to change the color of the brush and have them paint on the graph screen
Yeah. I was planning to use For( loops. I think I learned about using them as time delays when I was looking at the guide Kerm made for TI-Basic because I wanted to see if there was anything I didn't know. I taught myself TI-Basic, probably like most other people, by starting out with downloading programs and then actually seeing why they do what they do by editing them. What should A be in For(X,1,A):End for a 1 second delay? I think it was 237, but I am not sure.
This is from TIBasic Dev: "If X is end, the delay will be about X/1000 seconds for the TI-83/83+, and X/400 for other calculators." This is for the for loop
You should try timing it yourself, as it varies between calc models.

It'd be fun if you allowed the user to input their own lyrics, then let them time the song (e.g. display the first bit of text, prompt the user to press a button when the lyrics advance, record the delay, and repeat till the song is over), then allow them to play that back whenever they wanted. It would be pretty easy to do by storing the delays in lists, and would make the program a lot more versatile.
One thing that would help is to know what model you would use for this program, if you were to make it. That way, if someone wants, they could finding the timing for exactly one second while you do something else
I would use a TI-84+CSE because I want to change the background color the way the background changes in songs that show you the lyrics.

M. I. Wright: Where would I store the song words the user inputs? Strings could easily get deleted, and I am not comfortable with AppVars.

I think I will just make it for a specific song that is popular and make more on demand, because it should be pretty quick.
I think that is a good idea if you want to do this solely in basic
What song should I start out with that would get people's attention and make them want to download it and have me make more with different songs?
See you again by Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth
What you could do if people want to use custom songs is have them create an appvar or external program that stores the lyrics to a string and have them designate which program it is that stores the lyrics to str1 or whatever.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours