i got a silverlink for my ti 83 plus and i put wolfinsten on it and everytime i exit it the calculator does a garbage collect. is this normal?
tristris389 wrote:
i got a silverlink for my ti 83 plus and i put wolfinsten on it and everytime i exit it the calculator does a garbage collect. is this normal?

Yes, It's kind of odd that it would happen EVERY time, but I believe garbage collects happen when the archive is written to alot, which can (and usually is) cause by programs that run for a while.
ok. i have alot on my archive memory and bi have only 26 kb free. would my low archive memory remaning do anything?
Yes, the low amount of free archive space could absolutely cause this. Having more free space wouldn't stop garbage collection from occuring, but it should definitely make it less frequent.

What applications do you have on your calculator? On an 83+, applications are kind of space hogs and you need to be careful with which ones you have.
the only app i have is doors cs 7.2 but i have a lot of programs on there.
You might want to consider replacing DoorsCS with a lighter weight shell, like MirageOS or zStart. DoorsCS is 48KB, whereas these other two are only 16KB each. In general, you probably want to have at most 32KB of applications on an 83+. This is very little, but there's a good reason for it. If you're interested in this technical reason, read on.

The 83+ has ten 16KB pages of archive space, grouped into two sectors of four pages each and one sector of two pages. Applications first fill up the two-page sector before moving on to the four-page sectors. The reason why this is important to know is that, due to OS limitations, applications and all other archived variables (e.g. programs) cannot coexist in a sector. So even if you have DoorsCS (a 3-page application) as the only application on your 83+, it will fill the two-page sector and one page of one four-page sector, making both sectors unusable for program storage and leaving you with only one 64KB sector for programs. But if you have two pages (32KB) or fewer of applications, then you'll have 128KB available for programs.
thank you ill try this.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours