DJ_O wrote:
-I'm unsure if it's just me, but the site no longer fills 100% (or close) of the window width. I kinda prefered when it did, since I saw more text in one line on my 1920x1080 monitor. Will there be options to increase the board width?

This is a big usability issue - having more text per line actually makes things more difficult to read, so I doubt we will return to unbounded width.

[edit]

Runer112 wrote:

The source in question is:

Code:
<td><a href="posting.php?mode=delete&amp;p=239387&amp;sid=8b02b0ba94361e58b60c4f3fc0f1e978"><span class="forum-action-button">     &#x1f5d1;&nbsp;Delete</span></a></td>

Huh - I'm not seeing the trashcan codepoint in the source for the page I'm viewing. I'll have to look and see why there's a discrepancy.
Runer112 wrote:

The source in question is:

Code:
<td><a href="posting.php?mode=delete&amp;p=239387&amp;sid=8b02b0ba94361e58b60c4f3fc0f1e978"><span class="forum-action-button">     &#x1f5d1;&nbsp;Delete</span></a></td>

Logged in and posted as a non-admin test account we have, this bug isn't present to admins. Which is weird. I guess there are two templates: One for the last post a user can delete and another for admins. And yes, it's a square for me as well.
As noted in IRC by users of Chrome, staff images on the About page are horizontally squished, like so:

There may be a better fix, but the simplest one I've discovered is to simply remove the max-width: 100% tag on line 22 of stylesheet.css, like so:

The "Topic Review" section isn't populated with other posts when editing a post. It seems to me that it should probably be populated with the posts made before the post being edited (is that not how it worked before?).

KermMartian wrote:
The rounded/sharp corners are not broken (so WONTFIX): the top elements on the page have rounded corners, and the body items below have sharp corners, which is consistent throughout. The ones with sharp corners are considered visually grouped with the most recent item with rounded corners.

Okay. Although I may not agree, it's a stylistic decision, so I won't challenge it any further... except for the fact that, on at least a few pages (topic view, post view) that use this design, the last page element in the group doesn't end with rounded corners. This leaves the group hanging, which looks especially bad in the "mobile" view where the rounded "Latest Headlines" and such elements follow immediately.
When editing a post, the other posts have never shown up. I'm pretty sure that's a phpBB thing. Again, I do have a Chrome Stylebot fix for the sharp corners. I knew that the sharp corners and small gaps between divs was a conscious one with the previous theme so I never reported them during testing of this, instead I adapted my old script for the new template. I'm sure it'll be easy to port it over to Firefox and other browsers.
Runer: the bigger problem is the tabular layout, and the missing height: auto;

I should be able to handle that pretty quickly now.

[edit] staff page fixed.

And I shared this already with Kerm, but:
You know, after browsing for a while I am starting to get used to the topic view layout. Perhaps the outlines could be made 1 pixels thick instead of 2 but I think it's not bad the way it is.

On user profiles there seems to be an issue with the post graphs, though: They are much smaller https://www.cemetech.net/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=36
DJ_O:
Glad you're adjusting. We've been using it for a while, and all think it's much better.

The user profiles probably need overflow-x: scroll on the graphs. I'll see what can be done.
It's funny how you threw usability for one small argument, and then promptly ignored it for everything else! Well done!
Okay, two things:
1. the graph on user profiles seems squished
2. A lot of my signature is hidden, and I can't seem to scroll the signature itself. Can the signature box be expanded or something?

Chrome 41.0.2272.118

Two images (respectively)

I can see my signature perfectly well in the preview, but in the thread a lot of it is hidden.
DJ_O wrote:
-The red borders around posts seems a little distracting. I wonder if it would look better if they were lighter in color or 1 pixels thick? A different color might look out of place, though.
Agreed; fixed.
Runer112 wrote:
The "Jump to" dropdown in the "Topic Review" page element is rather silly, as selecting anything takes you away from the post you're writing. Both it and the "All times are GMT +/- X Hours" elements should probably just be removed.
Agreed, and meh, respectively.
Runer112 wrote:
The post "Options" that list features as on or off is neither interactive nor reflects the actual options selected with the checkboxes to the right. Some combining/removing should occur.
Renamed to "Default Options" to make this a little less ambiguous.
Runer112 wrote:
Whatever character you used for the "Delete" button isn't supported by my font. Considering neither the "Quote" nor the "Edit" buttons have symbols, is it even necessary?
Fixed.
Runer112 wrote:
The spacing between the "Quote," "Edit," and "Delete" buttons look abnormal in either view.
Fixed.
Runer112 wrote:
(SAX) The sites page is full of useless and dead links. Just remove it, and along with it, the channel/sites buttons.
Fixed.
Runer112 wrote:
(SAX) Why the fixed size? Can it not expand to roughly fill the window?
Does it not?
Michael2_3B wrote:
A lot of my signature is hidden, and I can't seem to scroll the signature itself. Can the signature box be expanded or something?
Please shrink the contents of your signature. We may be adding a Biography box in the future that takes the place of massive signatures.
Michael2_3B wrote:
the graph on user profiles seems squished
I need to address the profile page in general.

Known Issues/To Do
  • New post/new topic buttons are not consistent height
  • Images stretch out the topic review on the posting page. It needs to be switched away from a table to a modern layout
  • SAX remains active when hidden/page unfocused
  • SAX highlights you if you speak on IRC
  • Weird search tool layout on older Chromes
  • User profiles need to be made responsive and fixed up
  • Memberlist needs to be made responsive
  • UTI viewforum/viewtopic/index pages need to be ported to the new styles
allynfolksjr wrote:
It's funny how you threw usability for one small argument, and then promptly ignored it for everything else! Well done!

Almost every aspect of the redesign underwent significant usability discussions. Be specific with what you think the problems are.
Three minor things: the titles near the bottom of the page are too close to the white lines (in fact, why are the white lines there at all?), the edge of the post area (circled in blue) looks weird imo without some sort of border around it, and the permissions text at the bottom isn't completely right-aligned. Chrome 45 on Windows 7.

Nitpicking aside, congrats on the update! Looks good, and finally being able to click on people's usernames to get to their profile is great.
elfprince13 wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:

Almost every aspect of the redesign underwent significant usability discussions. Be specific with what you think the problems are.
We all know that Nikky wants the site to look like http://ti84clacualters.neocities.org/ Smile
M. I. Wright wrote:
(in fact, why are the white lines there at all?) .... Chrome 45 on Windows 7.

Those lines and other design choices are there by intention to help break up the page. Myself and several other members disagree with that choice. It's been reported many times over the years that the Cemetech 6 theme has been active and has been dismissed every time. The only option to get rid of them is to download a site style tweaker and rid them for yourself. Which I have already done for Chrome users, just download the Stylebot extension and this style and you're good to go.

It fixes more than the white lines. It adds rounded edges to all elements on the page and the nav buttons have a white border all the way around, whereas now it's on the left, right and bottom (despite the nav not really being "connected" to the header image.)
To be more specific, I have been the one championing those thin boundaries, as they were . However, I'm more than happy to bow to public opinion if I'm the only one who actually likes them. I'm resistant to making every maroon box border curved, but I'm willing to let the white boundaries go away if absolutely no one likes them (and I'm heavily weighting the opinion of the staff on this one over users).

M. I. Wright: I agree about all of those being too close, thanks. As I was discussing with Runer, that jumpbox may be removed entirely.
I'm with Kerm on the white lines and square corners.
As staff, I vote the white lines go away. As well as adding in curved borders.

KermMartian wrote:
The rounded/sharp corners are not broken (so WONTFIX): the top elements on the page have rounded corners, and the body items below have sharp corners, which is consistent throughout. The ones with sharp corners are considered visually grouped with the most recent item with rounded corners.

I find there is some inconsistency here. The side bar has curved bottom borders but on the forum every new category has a curved top bar but a cornered bottom bar, thus the individual category groups are never visually closed. On the site index, the very first div has a curved top but the very last div doesn't have a curved bottom to visually "close" the group.

You could rid the round top corners on the forum categories, while keeping the rounder corners on the "Quick Info" div, and adding round bottom corners to the "Who is Online" div.

But the lines, absolutely should go. It's always felt like a design error than being intentional to me. The corners, once addressed to be more inline with your description would be fine with sharp and round corners.
Issues:

Anyways, I'm on Chrome 45 and the latest OSX Yosemite, and I can't use the SAX:

Opinion:

Unlike some, I won't rip you apart, but I think the change was necessary. However, the execution is still very much beta, which isn't terrible, but there are a few things that need changed.
    1. The amount of Grey/Gray seem monotonous
    2. There isn't a great barrier between replies in a thread
    3. Header should be changed up to be modernized
Regarding Point 3, what do you mean by modernized?
comicIDIOT wrote:
Regarding Point 3, what do you mean by modernized?

Site Design like the Header and Tabs from http://www.masterchannel.com/ not that it is necessarily good look for a forum, but it gets rid of a massive PNG up top and uses the background as your display of product. Think of removing some of the grey space for some more modern backgrounds related to Cemetech. Not that I hate how the site looks, but if we are future proofing the design, I think it would be nice to make it look nice. First though, take care of the bugs Smile

Page 2 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours