Well, a friend of mine need help getting his truck fixed, and I of course offered to help him figure it out at the least. Well I did, and he thought he would repay me. I told him it was ok, and he was insistant, so he gave me a laptop that he had bought for parts, but the comp he bought it for was a different model, and the parts would not interchange. It is running Win ME. Please do NOT say a word about that, as I know how bad ME is, and will be changing it to something else later.

When I got it, I put in a batt from my other Compaq Pressario, and it started, but said there was no OS.

Fixes thus far:

--Got indicator for "On", "Charging Battery" and "Plugged In" lights to work
--Made HD Show up, something about not plugging it in on both rows of pins. Guy sold it cause it didn't boot up when he got it back from the repair place...

As to processor, I haven't the faintest, if someone could tell me where to locate that info...

It has a 6.5GB HD.

I haven't really looked beyond this, I will let you know more as I figure it out...
CPU-Z on windows, or just cat /proc/cpuinfo on linux will be able to tell you the specs of the CPU

or you can open it up and google the model number off of the CPU itself Wink
If you can get it to boot, rightclick on My Computer and choose properties. You can get proc and ram specs there, then go to Hardware, Device Manager for more specifics.
Where do I put that into??

Edit: It is an Intel Pentium 3 processor, is all I have seen it say...
tifreak8x wrote:
Where do I put that into??

Edit: It is an Intel Pentium 3 processor, is all I have seen it say...

*sigh* CPU-Z on windows, which i already said, will tell you everything you could ever want to know about the CPU: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
Sadly, it is not set up for internet, yet. I will try to gather more info as I work on it. Smile
tifreak8x wrote:
Sadly, it is not set up for internet, yet. I will try to gather more info as I work on it. Smile

download it on another computer, put it on a usb drive, and then run it on the lappy... Rolling Eyes
lol, ok, I will have to get my usb drive tonight, will probably be tommorrow before I know...
Heh, cool. What do you plan on using this laptop for? Is it better than your computer at work?
I haven't totally decided yet... I might finish fixing it, get my other lappys stuff put onto the newer one, and sell the old one... or I might keep them both for something...

And no, the one at work is still superior, but it is alot better (Once it gets totally fixed) than my other lappy, so it would be a better platform for portability... Smile
*cough, wardriving, cough* Evil or Very Mad
Kllrnohj wrote:
*cough, wardriving, cough* Evil or Very Mad
Meh, I don't know how useful that would be where TI-Freak8x is.
Well, I got it figured out, it has a 600mhz proc. I know not that fast, but better than my 400mhz proc for the older one... <.<
That's what my laptop is running most of the time when I'm on battery; I ramp it way down to save battery, and I don't even really see a noticeable performance hit/.
Well, I got the other lappy from the ebay purchase today, and I believe something is wrong with its motherboard, but the hd seems to be fine. It also came with a new carry bag, ac adapter, and I was able to upgrade my cd-drive with the dvd drive that came with it ^^

Currently loading win2k on there now...
Hot diggity! So this cost you a grand total of what? Zero plus the price of the one from eBay? How much was that?
$80.00 for the one from ebay, which I have gotten from it so far:

DVD-Rom
Brand New Carry bag
Modem Card (This one requires a card to "activate" the modem <.<)
Hard Drive
Spare hinges
Spare Hinge Covers
Spare Keyboard

Not too shabby for $80.00, eh?
Very Happy Damn; that's preety good for only $80, considering that you're using it for parts.

Quote:
Hot diggity!

Well, I am on the new lappy now, the other for parts is sitting in a box... Very Happy Man this thing ROCKS!!!
Wow, that's incredibly good. I should consider looking on eBay for parts more...

Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours