Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I've played on both the Sega Genesis I, II, and III Very Happy

*psst, both only works for 2 items, not 3* Wink
It works for 3 now Laughing
btw, here's a nice rundown of the differences between the DS and the DS Lite (with lotsa pictures!)

http://console.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA4NCwxLCxoY29uc29sZQ==
Kllrnohj wrote:
btw, here's a nice rundown of the differences between the DS and the DS Lite (with lotsa pictures!)

http://console.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA4NCwxLCxoY29uc29sZQ==
Hey, cool! And they even mention how early adopters are annoyed, just as I was saying. Cool
Something a little off topic, but relevant;

Today my little brother was denied the right to purchase an M-rated game at EB Games today; did I miss something? Because I thought only one state had passed the law where only people 17+ can buy M-rated games, so I had to buy the game. Is this a new policy at EB Games, was the cashier ignorant, or have the laws changed in Massachusetts?

EDIT: Apparently game retailers are implementing it themselves:
http://www.fradical.com/Sting_shows_easy_access_to_games.htm

This is only going to hurt the industry because now those kids are just going to get their games off of BT from now on Very Happy (or go to GameStop)
While it is certainly unfair, the issue is borderline as to whether it's illegal. It can be argued that such a policy constitutes bias or discrimination, but that can be countered by claiming game shops are private establishments with the right to deny services to any customer they deem unfit for whatever they offer.
Actually, I am for these policies.

A kid really shouldn't be buying an M rated game without parental approval (not all kids can handle it, some can, some can't), so it isn't a big deal if the parent just buys it.

Also, I would rather have the game industry governing itself than the government (or worse, Hilary Clinton Very Happy )
Oh, I didn't say I was against it, I was just saying it seems fairly arbitrary.
I'm against it, but not strongly so because I rarely buy my games at a retail outlet Wink

Also, some of the M rated games out there aren't even all that violent, although some of them are extremely violent. The ESRB needs to split up the M rating a little bit and THEN start baning who can buy what (kinda like buying R and NC-17 rated movies; anyone can buy R, but only 17+ can buy NC-17, and rightly so because that generally contains VERY harsh material).
Actually, in Mass we don't let people under 17 purchase or rent R rated movies without a parent. Case and point: my friend and I wanted to rent The Godfather (rated R) one night. They closed down the movie store near us that looked the other way when we wanted to rent R rated movies so we had to go to a Hollywood Video in our neighboring town. They asked us if we were 18 so my friend said yes (he was 16 at the time). Finally, they checked his licence and threw us out Mad

The thing is, he had already seen The Godfather countless times, and was going to show it to me (it was going to be the first time I had seen it). The system doesn't work in this case. Two teens, perfectly capable of handling the contents of the film were denied the opportunity. While I don't think they should do away with the age limit entirely, I think they should lower it to 15 or 16.
Same goes for alcohol Laughing Just Joking

But seriously, they shouldn't have the law at all; I mean, is there really a problem where 8 year old kids go in to buy Devil May Cry? I think not.
it is these parents who complain about the littleist thing here that causes the problem. If they had there way, forums, IM, and IRC would cease to exist beacuase a few people have fallen pray to people on them. How many people don't even come close to this stuff. Banning is good on some things, but NOTHING beats proper education.
rivereye wrote:
it is these parents who complain about the littleist thing here that causes the problem. If they had there way, forums, IM, and IRC would cease to exist beacuase a few people have fallen pray to people on them. How many people don't even come close to this stuff. Banning is good on some things, but NOTHING beats proper education.

Or good parenting.
Precisely. Which is why I get annoyed with newbs who tipe liek tis & think its ok 2 act ingronant. I think it's just as important to be educated and ready for the situations you may find yourself in the virtual world as in the real world.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours