If you haven't seen the movie yet and wish to not spoil the movie.
Please direct yourself to the NO SPOILERS topic.

So. The movie was amazing. It felt like the same style as Ep3-6 which was great. But my one gripe, that I hope is realized in a later movie, is that we are always told about the "Power of the Dark Side" and see all these awesome abilities, such as when Kylo Ren froze the blast rifle bolt from Poes gun. How he froze Rey. And both he only had one initial hand movement then could use his hands freely. That is power. I want to see that level of power on the Light Side.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it but all the Light Side has going for them is "I know there's still some good in you." "Oh, you're right." (Vader v Luke) and they attempted this again with Han Solo and Kylo Ren. Ten alluded to the fact that if Rey wasn't found soon, she'd only get more powerful. And with the whole Force Mind thing, the light saber force grab thing and the scene where she closed her eyes for like 20 seconds after saying "Oh yeah, the force." - which the reason why she closed her eyes alludes me, As Kylo Ren I would have taken advantage of that and tripped her up and pushed her or something.

I really want to see Rey be this powerful force for the Light Side. I truly want to see the power of the Light Side.

I can think of a few folks who may/will come in here and completely lay down awesome facts about the Light Sides power from the books and TV show but I haven't read or seen those and most of the books were tossed out anyways. But I'm just really interested in seeing the Light Sides power in Ep8 and/or 9. Preferably in 8.

Also, Daniel Craig had a cameo as a Storm Trooper and we thought it was the one Rey used Mind Control on. Turns out we were right. Also, Simon Pegg had a cameo and we think it was the Scrap Yard owner who paid with rations.
I can't believe Han died. I cri everi tiem...
But seriously, the whole Ben Solo / Kylo Ren backstory was kinda interesting, especially to see how it played out with Luke leaving and such.
KingInfinity wrote:
I can't believe Han died. I cri everi tiem...

Oh yeah, I already forgot about that scene. I was completely surprised by that scene but my friend said he wasn't surprised. He didn't see it coming but when it happened he wasn't like "Well, poop." Like I was. Mostly because Harrison Ford did not want to return after Episode 5.

Quote:
But seriously, the whole Ben Solo / Kylo Ren backstory was kinda interesting, especially to see how it played out with Luke leaving and such.

I already knew that Han and Leia had a child but I thought it was Rey. Something I had accidentally read said they had a daughter. So the whole Kylo Ren being their son was a shock and I was still anticipating the whole "You are siblings" after that reveal ("I saw our son").
The popular theory going around is that Rey has in fact been trained in the ways of the force but had her memory wiped/brainwashed and was hidden on Jakku - possibly to protect her due to what transpired with Kylo.

This would go a long way in explaining her obsession with remaining on Jakku and the completely unexplained notion that she can master a lifetimes worth of force knowledge/power in 10 minutes to defeat a raw but clearly powerful (though injured) Kylo at the end.

Also RIP Han - why did he not have a funeral?
tr1p1ea wrote:
Also RIP Han - why did he not have a funeral?

Well, there was no body to recover. Secondly, Luke was standing next to a tomb stone when Rey found him. Presumably he had held a memorial for him, but seeing that he's disconnected from everyone else this was more of him remembering a friend. I'm sure the Resistance, and Leia, had a service for Han that will be explored in books or other media.
Honestly overall I was very satisfied by this movie. I'm not going to say it was perfect, but it was a great return to form for the series, and I feel justified now in being wrapped when I first heard the news a few years back that George Lucas had sold the rights to Disney, because I think it was time for someone else to take the reins and further develop the story.

Some highlights for me:

1. Daisy Ridley was incredible, and I'm excited to see how this new protagonist develops. Before the movie came out, I was fairly sure that Rey & Kylo Ren would turn out to be the movie equivalents of Jaina & Jacen in the books. Turns out I was half on the money. My current belief is that Rey is Luke's daughter; it just seems like there were too many hints leaning towards this, and what is Star Wars without a Skywalker on the light side? Also, Luke's monologue in this teaser. I've read a few gripes in reviews over how quickly she developed her use of the Force, but if she is a Skywalker then this would help to explain it.

2. John Boyega & Oscar Isaac together were great to watch, fun banter and camaraderie. Hopefully there is more of this in Episode VIII. I almost thought Finn was going to die after his fight with Ren near the end, so I'll be interested to see if they revisit his injuries or if it wasn't as bad as it looked.

3. I was worried that Harrison Ford might struggle to deliver as Han again, but boy was I wrong. It was great to see the classic friendship between him and Chewie. Thankfully I'd prepared myself for the possibility of his death, and to be honest I'm glad they had the marbles to go through with it, it shows that they believe in the new trilogy they're doing. I'd read recently that both Mark Hamill & Carrie Fisher had signed up for Ep VIII, but nothing about Ford, so that coupled with the old stories of how he had wanted Solo to die in the original trilogy prepared me for this eventuality, not to mention his line to Rey about Chewie liking her. I wonder if Han's death will be a breaking point for Luke to realise that he's needed?

4. During my viewing of the movie, I felt a little uncomfortable during the couple of times that Kylo Ren lost his temper, it just felt out of place. But by the end of the movie, it didn't bother me as much. I can see that they're trying to show how torn he is emotionally about his allegiance and the choices he's made.

5. The final scene with Luke was the biggest tease, but superb. The hair and beard really suit him. I wonder if Episode VIII will pick up right where VII finished off, or if they'll do the usual 1-3 years later thing?

6. Ahh, so the First Order figured that if the two Death Stars didn't work, bigger would be better? There does seem to be a lot of recycled story from Episode IV (and VI). They even seemed to be taking a friendly jab at themselves in the scene where the Resistance was discussing how to destroy Starkiller Base (I can't remember the exact lines, but Han or someone mentioning "there must be some kind of exhaust port", and also "well we disable the shield" Razz ). Honestly though, it didn't even bother me in the slightest. Maybe I was just fan-boying too much over Ackbar and Nien Nunb being back on the scene (although I would have loved to hear Nien Nunb do his goofy laugh again hah).

I'm pretty sure I'll be going to see this again Smile
I am clearly not as aware as others regarding the Star Wars news and stuff but, again, my friend is.

He mentioned that they continued to film on that island after filming for EpVII finished. So, it's very likely EpVIII will take place exactly where we left off. Also, they had to stop filming for 10 days due to rough weather and the fact that there were no housing facilities on the island meant everyone had to take a boat to the location everyday. (Not that that is super related to the movie, just a fun fact!)

I'd have to assume Finns injuries were more than superficial. Why else would they have him, unconscious, on a hospital bed?
That makes sense if they filmed more there, because I'd read ages ago that the shoot there took a while. It actually looks like a beautiful place.

Yeah true, and it did look like he copped a nasty lightsaber strike to the back/spine area.
Does anyone agree with the Mary Sue - Rey accusation?
Just saw this movie. All I can say is "YUS"
Meh....
I like the prequels more Razz

And i am totally serious. The prequals had a good story, albeit bad acting / detecting / dialogue.
The Force Awakens had a boring / cliche story. A third death star, and characters we barly know about. I would not mind if the film was a bit longer.

Also it makes no total sense how Ray can pick up the force in litraly no time without any formal training, i though it was made fairly clear that the only way to become a force user was through the jedi or the sith, and that gaining force abilities through a third party, or by yourself, was nearly imposible <_< Forthermore, i dont see how ray or Fin where able to survive the fight with Kylo. Neither of them weilded a lighsabor before, while Kylo supposably had formall sith(? i still dont understand where that giant guy with a scar came from) training. So it would be like me picking up a sword for the first time and expecting to survive against a trained swords man.
Lastly i don't even understand how powerful kylo ren is. Through dialogue it is revealed he is less power full then Vador, yet he can stop a plasma bolt in mid air, something Vador could not do until ESB. Kylo does not seem to be able to pick up a lightsabor from the snow, yet he can throw people around, so i was watching it and i was like "make up your mind disney" Razz

One again, i though the prequels where better simply because they had a much better story.
c4ooo wrote:
Meh....

Do you want to invalidate your opinion? Because that's how you invalidate your opinion. Laughing

Quote:
And i am totally serious. The prequals had a good story, albeit bad acting / detecting / dialogue.
The Force Awakens had a boring / cliche story. A third death star, and characters we barly know about. I would not mind if the film was a bit longer.

I'll agree that the prequels had a great, underlying narrative with poor execution. I'll agree that there were a lot of recycled elements in Ep7 that were from the Original Trilogy. I just can't agree on the characters. We can't have the old cast back and pick up where ever we want. So, we picked up 40 years after Ep6. Which is technically, kinda true. I think establishing new protagonists is the only sound way to carry on the franchise. We'll still have R2D2, C3PO, Leia, Chewbacca and Luke but we're giving the spotlight to a new generation in the Star Wars Universe (or SWU).

However, I feel there are some plot holes with the characters. The movie established the storm troopers are no longer clones but people kidnapped at a young age and forced to train for the Empire - Which doesn't excuse how Finn can't kill and suddenly has a change of heart. How the Storm Trooper knew he was a traitor and how that same Trooper had a lightsaber deflecting arm thing. It just so happens that the moment the protagonists get a lightsaber there's a Storm Trooper that is prepared for that?

Quote:
Also it makes no total sense how Ray can pick up the force in litraly no time without any formal training, i though it was made fairly clear that the only way to become a force user was through the jedi or the sith, and that gaining force abilities through a third party, or by yourself, was nearly imposible <_<

Continuing the plot holes. Yes. However, it's clear that the force was certainly a myth throughout the galaxy and there are certainly stories - everything that was considered "canon" in the SWU, and no longer is, is now considered as stories and lore told within the SWU. Rey questions if the force exists, Plus the scene where they get the lightsaber, Rey is briefed on the force and how it's everywhere yadda yadda. So, if you want to look behind the surface she's putting faith in the stories of the force and trying the mind trick. It fails, so she tries again and again.

I'm still calling bull on the saber fight. She literally stops mid battle and concentrates on the force, something I mentioned in the first post. There were definitely sacrifices made with the characters for the sake of the story. New characters like Poe were well done, though. I look forward to seeing more of him in future episodes.

Quote:
Forthermore, i dont see how ray or Fin where able to survive the fight with Kylo. Neither of them weilded a lighsabor before, while Kylo supposably had formall sith(? i still dont understand where that giant guy with a scar came from) training. So it would be like me picking up a sword for the first time and expecting to survive against a trained swords man.

We have to remember that Finn is a trained Storm trooper. He likely has experience with all sorts of weapons. But yes, on the surface it brings some serious questions to the surface. Rey, on the other hand, has demonstrated her ability with a staff-like weapon. She stops Finn with it when they first meet and there may have been another scene where she fights with it. So it's a bit more natural to take her skill with a bow-staff and transplant it into a smaller staff-like object, as in a Lightsaber.

The giant guy with the scar? Supreme Leader Snoke? Neither do I. But he was certainly a hologram and we'll likely get his backstory in Ep8 as Snoke asked for Kylo Ren to come to him.

Quote:
Lastly i don't even understand how powerful kylo ren is. Through dialogue it is revealed he is less power full then Vador, yet he can stop a plasma bolt in mid air, something Vador could not do until ESB. Kylo does not seem to be able to pick up a lightsabor from the snow, yet he can throw people around, so i was watching it and i was like "make up your mind disney" Razz

There are certainly inconsistencies. But, letting the mind wander. The lightsaber was Lukes. As someone who is not well educated in the SWU, it's possible the crystals in the lightsabers are for one side of the force and it took more effort from Kylo to overcome the Light Side so he could take it. But Luke had the same issue on Hoth, but he was a less experienced Jedi than Kylo Ren. I don't believe what I say is true, I'm just making assumptions and believing them until proven otherwise.

Vader doesn't stop a plasma bolt, he deflects it. Which is an established force ability in the video game Knights of the Old Republic 2. When we see Vader, he is basically second in command of the Empire while Kylo Ren has a few people above him. The power talk could be referring to the force or to his influence over the Empire, I assume it's the latter as the movie very clearly established Kylo Rens mastery of the force.

Quote:
One again, i though the prequels where better simply because they had a much better story.

You heathen. Razz
wow, thanks for that giant explanation!! Very Happy Very Happy Good Idea Good Idea

comicIDIOT wrote:
c4ooo wrote:
Meh....

Do you want to invalidate your opinion? Because that's how you invalidate your opinion. 0x5

Kek i forgot cemetch ' Razz 's where different Razz
A few things:
(a) Rey and Finn definitely both have melee combat training of some kind
(b) Kylo Ren while skilled in mind probes and using the force to restrain physical objects, definitely is not a skilled duelist with a lightsaber (and also clearly doesn't understand how to make one, since his is defective).
(c) Kylo Ren also just got WRECKED by Chewie's bowcaster immediately prior to the fight and still nearly kills Finn.
comicIDIOT wrote:

I'll agree that the prequels had a great, underlying narrative with poor execution. I'll agree that there were a lot of recycled elements in Ep7 that were from the Original Trilogy. I just can't agree on the characters. We can't have the old cast back and pick up where ever we want. So, we picked up 40 years after Ep6. Which is technically, kinda true. I think establishing new protagonists is the only sound way to carry on the franchise. We'll still have R2D2, C3PO, Leia, Chewbacca and Luke but we're giving the spotlight to a new generation in the Star Wars Universe (or SWU).

I personally found the choice to make this movie a "let's blow up the death star 3.0" story so disappointing. If we accept that Rey/Kylo are the Solo twins, and look into Expanded Universe... the Jaina Solo v. Jacen Solo (Darth Cadeus) storyline is so much more epic IMO. The whole point of Disney declaring this stuff non-canon is to give themselves more creative liberty... so they could retell the death star story?

comicIDIOT wrote:

Quote:
Also it makes no total sense how Ray can pick up the force in litraly no time without any formal training, i though it was made fairly clear that the only way to become a force user was through the jedi or the sith, and that gaining force abilities through a third party, or by yourself, was nearly imposible <_<

Continuing the plot holes. Yes. However, it's clear that the force was certainly a myth throughout the galaxy and there are certainly stories - everything that was considered "canon" in the SWU, and no longer is, is now considered as stories and lore told within the SWU. Rey questions if the force exists, Plus the scene where they get the lightsaber, Rey is briefed on the force and how it's everywhere yadda yadda. So, if you want to look behind the surface she's putting faith in the stories of the force and trying the mind trick. It fails, so she tries again and again.

I'm still calling bull on the saber fight. She literally stops mid battle and concentrates on the force, something I mentioned in the first post. There were definitely sacrifices made with the characters for the sake of the story. New characters like Poe were well done, though. I look forward to seeing more of him in future episodes.

Quote:
Forthermore, i dont see how ray or Fin where able to survive the fight with Kylo. Neither of them weilded a lighsabor before, while Kylo supposably had formall sith(? i still dont understand where that giant guy with a scar came from) training. So it would be like me picking up a sword for the first time and expecting to survive against a trained swords man.

From what I know, if you look at Anakin's training, and Luke's training, an individual that strong with the Force has a certain natural affinity for it. I mean, Luke becomes proficient at bolt deflection in just a few sessions with Kenobi, and goes toe to toe with a Sith Lord for a long time after basically a crash course from Yoda. So it stands to reason that Rey, a descendent of the Skywalker line, would be much the same.

Secondly, Kylo Ren did not have training in a specific lightsaber form. He used a rage driven style, so it's not unheard of for Rey, beginning to develop her affinity for the Force, and with her experience with her bowstaff, to be able to best Kylo.

comicIDIOT wrote:

Quote:

There are certainly inconsistencies. But, letting the mind wander. The lightsaber was Lukes. As someone who is not well educated in the SWU, it's possible the crystals in the lightsabers are for one side of the force and it took more effort from Kylo to overcome the Light Side so he could take it. But Luke had the same issue on Hoth, but he was a less experienced Jedi than Kylo Ren. I don't believe what I say is true, I'm just making assumptions and believing them until proven otherwise.

I believe his difficulty also had to do with the fact that Rey was using the Force on the saber at the same time.

comicIDIOT wrote:

Vader doesn't stop a plasma bolt, he deflects it. Which is an established force ability in the video game Knights of the Old Republic 2. When we see Vader, he is basically second in command of the Empire while Kylo Ren has a few people above him. The power talk could be referring to the force or to his influence over the Empire, I assume it's the latter as the movie very clearly established Kylo Rens mastery of the force.

I don't know. I don't see Kylo Ren established as a master of the Force. He had saber training from Luke and Force training from Snokes which seems to center on mind powers. All Rey has to do is tap into the Force and she ends the fight quickly, and Luke could have mopped the floor with him blindfolded and with both hands cut off.
ACagliano wrote:

I personally found the choice to make this movie a "let's blow up the death star 3.0" story so disappointing. If we accept that Rey/Kylo are the Solo twins, and look into Expanded Universe... the Jaina Solo v. Jacen Solo (Darth Cadeus) storyline is so much more epic IMO. The whole point of Disney declaring this stuff non-canon is to give themselves more creative liberty... so they could retell the death star story?

My thought as well. I never got into the the EU stuff so I wasn't to hurt by the decision but I still think there could have been many branches the story could have gone while still "Awakening the Force."

Quote:
From what I know, if you look at Anakin's training, and Luke's training, an individual that strong with the Force has a certain natural affinity for it. I mean, Luke becomes proficient at bolt deflection in just a few sessions with Kenobi, and goes toe to toe with a Sith Lord for a long time after basically a crash course from Yoda. So it stands to reason that Rey, a descendent of the Skywalker line, would be much the same.

That's true. She certainly had a natural gift for the force. But if she ends up being Lukes daughter... it'd just be too perfect. I want a story that doesn't involve the characters from the OT that much. I mean, we've got Luke, Leia, Chewy and the droids but I'd like to have a disconnection from them as far as main characters go. If Rey is indeed his daughter then it'll just be covered by some "The Force works in mysterious ways" bull-honkey which sounds a lot like religion. That sounds more harsh than it is, but I don't believe the "That's what God wants" stories and I won't bite into the story if the Force does the same thing.

Quote:
Secondly, Kylo Ren did not have training in a specific lightsaber form. He used a rage driven style, so it's not unheard of for Rey, beginning to develop her affinity for the Force, and with her experience with her bowstaff, to be able to best Kylo.

I don't know. Didn't Kylo get training from Luke? Or was that purely for force training much akin to Yoda mentoring Luke?

I've watched the movie again this past week and noticed a few things. Related to this, Chewys crossbow is mighty powerful. Even Han Solo is impressed - though wouldn't he already know? Not like it's a new weapon - as he launches troopers back dozens of feet. We even see the force as a trooper is launched backwards and his armor shatters (entering the Base Planet).

If you look at the shot Chewy lands on Kylo, it's basically a full on stomach shot. What does Kylo do? He kneels. He just falls to one knee. Later when he confronts Finn and Rey, he basically slaps the wound with fist and the camera shows blood in the snow. He's obviously injured but how bad? Was his armor strong enough to absorb most of the impact or his he using the force to hold himself together?

If he was using the force to hold himself together that explains why Finn & Rey had a comparably easier time fighting Kylo than before.

Quote:
I believe his difficulty also had to do with the fact that Rey was using the Force on the saber at the same time.

While that's certainly plausible, Kylo and Rey were in a line: Saber -> Kylo -> Rey. I think it would have moved much sooner had Rey been trying for it. But maybe, off camera, she was trying the same thing and then finally succeeded much like the Mind Trick scene.

Quote:
I don't know. I don't see Kylo Ren established as a master of the Force. He had saber training from Luke and Force training from Snokes which seems to center on mind powers. All Rey has to do is tap into the Force and she ends the fight quickly, and Luke could have mopped the floor with him blindfolded and with both hands cut off.

I just want to point out that above you said "Kylo Ren did not have training in a specific lightsaber form" but then mention that Luke trained him with lightsabers.

And as I said above and noted by elfprince13's (c) point, Kylo was most likely seriously injured from Chewys bolt and it was taking a lot of force energy to hold himself together and he couldn't spare all the tricks he had displayed earlier in the movie.

comicIDIOT wrote:
...[A]nd the scene where she closed her eyes for like 20 seconds after saying "Oh yeah, the force." - which the reason why she closed her eyes alludes me...

I figured this out. When we first see Maz after the Reys flashback Maz tells Rey to close her eyes and believe in the force. She doesn't do it then but she does it at this point in the battle. I didn't connect it during my first viewing but totally did so when I watched it again. I plan to watch this movie a few more times and hopefully catch a few more intricacies strewed along the story.
One thing that I can never figure out:

Who is Rey? Yes, I know, someone from Jakku, and someone so Force-sensitive that freaking lightsabers talk to her, but we hardly know anything.

But I can be patient enough to wait for episode VIII.

On the other hand, Poe must at least have some Force sensitivity, because only someone with the Force.... Or a ridiculously good pilot... Could have flown through that crack in the facility that they tried to blow up, and finish the job.

EPIC plot twist: We find that Rey and Poe are somehow related. (my impossible prediction.)
We don't really know, I think. There are rumors that she's Lukes' daughter but I really don't want that to be the case. As I stated above. There were certainly other legendary Jedi in the galaxy so I really want this story to open up. If they keep this story around Luke & Han Solo/Leia I believe the writers are too afraid to explore other stories; which as evidenced in Ep7 they certainly showed no major creativity in terms of the overall plot.

That's a good point about Poe, I hadn't thought of that and now I want him to wield a light saber in Ep8.
Who knows what disney will do. People are thinking that there is some complex backstory however it's more likely that all of the ridiculous stuff in this movie is just lazy writing - as this movie is clearly not targeted at hardcore fans.
comic: As far as we know, the other Jedi kept their vows....

Anyway, w.r.t tr1p1ea's point, the hardcore fans are being kept happy over here:

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours