elfprince13 wrote:
comic: As far as we know, the other Jedi kept their vows....

They took vows? To never procreate? I am in the dark on this one.
comicIDIOT wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
comic: As far as we know, the other Jedi kept their vows....

They took vows? To never procreate? I am in the dark on this one.

Did you .... never watch the prequel trilogy? That was literally the central plot element.
I did, yes. But whether or not I remember is unlikely. The only thing I remember from Ep1 is the pod racing. I recently - as in 2-6 weeks before Ep7 - watched all the episodes but Ep1-3 were edited into a 2 hour movie that focused on Anakin and only the last few minutes of Ep1 was in the cut. So it's likely that plot point was cut out, I just totally missed it or, I don't remember it.
I actually watched TFA again and I'll be honest I did not enjoy it as much as my first viewing. It just seemed so out of place with Star Wars lore; though I think this was a deliberate move.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I did, yes. But whether or not I remember is unlikely. The only thing I remember from Ep1 is the pod racing. I recently - as in 2-6 weeks before Ep7 - watched all the episodes but Ep1-3 were edited into a 2 hour movie that focused on Anakin and only the last few minutes of Ep1 was in the cut. So it's likely that plot point was cut out, I just totally missed it or, I don't remember it.

The whole reason Anakin and Padme keep their marriage a secret is because Anakin would be expelled from the order. It's part of the whole "attachment leads to fear/jealousy, leads to the dark side" philosophy.

tr1p1ea wrote:
I actually watched TFA again and I'll be honest I did not enjoy it as much as my first viewing. It just seemed so out of place with Star Wars lore; though I think this was a deliberate move.

I actually had the opposite response. The first time I saw it, I enjoyed it, but didn't quite feel like everything fit together. The second time through I enjoyed it more and more carefully identified the components that bothered me. From Facebook:

Quote:
Okay, on a second viewing I actually liked it more than I did the first time around, and more precisely identified the few parts of the film that distracted me from the overall storytelling.

First of all, the "map to Luke" is a rehash of the search for Kamino from AotC. Fine, I guess, except that it makes even less sense. Instead of a single solar system having been wiped from computers, a giant freaking slice of the galaxy "can't be matched against any known system". Furthermore, I understand that hyperspace routes can be tricky to plot (this is why the Falcon's 12 parsec record is impressive, distance DOES matter for regions of space with lots of gravity wells), but they don't comment on this at all, so to a casual viewer, anything but the coordinates to the planet itself should seem superfluous.

The other two points are just instances of JJisms being repeated from Star Trek 2009 (which I also quite liked except for the corresponding sequences there). The whole Rathtars/space-gangs sequence was wayyyyy too frenetic and tonally out of place with the rest of the film (compare this to Kirk being chased from his escape pod by snow monsters and/or the infamous bongo chase from a Phantom Menace). But most distractingly, JJ has no handle whatsoever on stellar / interstellar scale. The crew at Maz's on Takodana should not have been able to see the energy beam from Starkiller base streaking across their sky to target the Hosnian system (repeating old-Spock's realtime viewing of the collapse of Vulcan).

http://io9.gizmodo.com/all-the-backstory-you-desperately-want-to-know-about-th-1751196966 - apparently they filmed and cut a diplomatic mission from the Resistance to the Republic to warn them/ask for help. Would have loved to have that instead of the Rathtars....
I had no idea the two of them were trying to keep their marriage a secret. Neutral

Meanwhile, a 48min episode behind the special and visual effects with TFA:
comicIDIOT wrote:
I had no idea the two of them were trying to keep their marriage a secret. Neutral

Neutral
I'd say the movie is good, with some plot points admittedly forced, and some not explained enough. (PS. the internet was a dark dark place postrelease)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours