Do you think Cemetech needs a theme upgrade for 2016?
Yes, and this is it
 14%  [ 8 ]
Yes, and this is almost it
 28%  [ 16 ]
Yes, but this is not it
 17%  [ 10 ]
No, but this looks good
 14%  [ 8 ]
No, but this looks OK
 12%  [ 7 ]
No, and this does not look good.
 14%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 57

The REAL LAX18 wrote:
What happened to the development of this theme?

Cemetech's motto is to not to update anything until it breaks.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
The REAL LAX18 wrote:

That makes since.
The REAL LAX18 wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:
The REAL LAX18 wrote:

That makes since.

No it doesn't. Mateo clearly forgets that we are still volunteers and that life goes before Cemetech. It's not true at all, and y'all know it. Just look at all the features that were added lately, both at Cemetech and SC. Maybe Alex doesn't have the time to update this, or whatever, who knows? Feel free to complain, sure, but don't call us lazy or whatever. At least I put a big part of my free time into Cemetech, not sure about the others, but they probably do too. Stop being savage and do something useful. Thanks.
What the heck does this have to do with updating a theme. Stop taking everything personally PT_. Razz It's been said many times that the current site style isn't broken and works well, so that is the reason for not changing it.
Although PT_ shouldn't have taken it that hard, please don't insult the Cemetech team Mateo. They work very hard and take a lot of time out of their day to dedicate to the community.
mets11rap wrote:
Although PT_ shouldn't have taken it that hard, please don't insult the Cemetech team Mateo. They work very hard and take a lot of time out of their day to dedicate to the community.

I didn't insult anyone. Has everyone here just forgotten the phrase "If it ain't broke don't fix it"?
The REAL LAX18 wrote:

There was never a theme in development. It's just a topic to entertain ways the site could be re-themed. If you want to have a bit of fun and show off ways you've re-skinned or other sites, we do have this topic here. You can even submit an image to this topic on how you'd re-theme the site.

MateoConLechuga wrote:
The REAL LAX18 wrote:

I wouldn't call it our motto but he's not wrong. The theme is functional and it works; there's no pressing reason to make a new theme other than the sake of making a new theme.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
The REAL LAX18 wrote:

Basically this. See also: ticalc.org. About two years ago we spent some pretty significant effort updating the Cemetech 6 theme to "Cemetech 6.5", which overhauled how forum topics are laid out, overhauled the header, was around when the Learn section was added, and perhaps most importantly, made the site responsive for large monitors, small monitors, and mobile viewing. Therefore, while these are some very interesting and modern themes, I just don't find our current frontend template broken. There's a more pressing problem of our backend being built on a 15-year-old piece of PHP software that has been edited, patched, secured, kludged, and extended in more ways than I wish to recount. You guys rarely see it, but we have extensive discussions internally about the state of the site, including backend, frontend, membership, focus, policies, and many other aspects. Rest assured that even if you don't see things changing, it doesn't mean we aren't spending our hard-won "free" time on it.
I agree that Cemetech looks a little "3D" (sort of like iOS 1-6) and needs a modern look, I think you could just apply material design or such and not create it yourself
timedia wrote:
I agree that Cemetech looks a little "3D" (sort of like iOS 1-6) and needs a modern look, I think you could just apply material design or such and not create it yourself

Not every site should use Material Design.

It would get boring. Trust me.

I also think that there is value in writing your own CSS. It's just another useful language that you now have in your tool box.

Additionally, I think it is fine. I'd much rather have our administration work on life, database problems, bugfixing, and their own projects than have to make them worry about a new site style.
Plus chrome extensions can redesign
I think most of the site is fine, with the exception of the SC3 page. When I have jsTIfied open, the text are becomes way too narrow despite me having plenty of screen space available. I think the narrow layout is fine for most other pages.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

No site should use Material Design.

It is boring. Trust me.

_iPhoenix_, I have a suggestion for an edit to your post.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 5 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours