It's been a good year for us all.

:: The TI-84+ CE launched. A few months later we had a very thorough review and a few months after that the first assembly programs were available. Somewhere in all of that SourceCoder 3 was updated with z80 and ez80 support! Towards the end of the year we had Cesium, the first shell for the TI-84+ CE! Which prompted KermMartian to get his rear in gear and get started on DCS9.

:: We had another T^3 - which took place over March 14th, and yes pie was served! - and Maker Faire where Cemetech encouraged festival goers to program a game on a giant calculator in as little as 60 seconds.

:: In activities outside of the site, one of our own administrators, elfprince13, got married to elfprincess13.

:: On the recreational side of things, our Minecraft Server switched from a PvP to a PvE status. Discussion is currently underway for the 1.9 server which is set to replace the currently existing world which has been around since MC 1.7; the current server has been growing and being actively built within for roughly 24 months!

Eeems, qazz42, KermMartian, elfprince13 and geekboy at the Cemetech booth at Maker Faire.

With that, all of the admins, global mods and mods here at Cemetech wish you Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year! Here's to more awesome things in 2016! Did you guys get any calculators? One of Kerms books? An Arduino?
Happy Holidays everyone! I got a CE and a soldering iron, so there should be some fun times ahead!
So santa came!

and some highlights of the awesomeness.

You got more presents than you do tree! Laughing

My mom told the family that we're just getting one present each. Myself, Mom and my sister would all pitch in for my dad. And so on around the family. Our tree was slightly bigger but we probably had the same amount as gifts as you guys! We opened presents on Tuesday, the 22nd, and I didn't get anything I wanted - #FirstWorldProblem - but I also didn't ask for anything because I have everything I want. However, after much prodding from my mom I found myself almost buying something off amazon for myself so I sent it to the family as an idea. Still didn't get it. So, I bought it on Tuesday and it got here on the 24th. Very Happy
Merry (late) Christmas!

I pretty much just got a lot of chocolate and some money, but I also got a mini drone so that's nice Smile
Just to use you as a beacon for others who may have gotten drones:

Michael2_3B wrote:
but I also got a mini drone so that's nice Smile

For the drone, it should be known that all drones - if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds - in the USA need to be registered with the FAA. It costs $5 for three years and you can use that registration on up to 10 drones. Also, registration opened on December 21st and the fee will be waived for the first 30 days. So, on January 21st, the $5 will be in affect.

Nice summary article:
http://www.quadcopteracademy.com/faa-drone-regulations/

Official Site, register here:
https://www.faa.gov/uas/

More Info from the FAA
https://www.faa.gov/uas/publications/model_aircraft_operators/
https://www.faa.gov/uas/publications/model_aircraft_operators/
Yes, I heard about that recently. The drone I got is pretty small and hardly weighs anything, so there's no need to register it.

I do however have a Parrot AR drone, and I registered that one just this morning. I'm still working on fixing it though - one of the sockets for the shafts is worn out and lets the shaft wobble too much, so I'm currently working on replacing the entire cross beam. Unfortunately you can't just take the socket out and put a new one in :/
For Christmas I got Kerm's Programming book, as well as some other cool stuff, but nothing else worth mentioning on this site. Can't wait to glean what I don't know about TI-BASIC from the book.

also, is there anything stopping me from giving people the ebook file? Like is it illegal or something? Just wondering
I got some gift cards, and some money. Which was enough for me to buy a X-Wing Starfighter. Best part? It's RC! And it flies!
Caleb_Hill wrote:
also, is there anything stopping me from giving people the ebook file? Like is it illegal or something? Just wondering

Yes. It's also morally wrong. Basically, just because something is DRM free doesn't mean it's copyright free. There's a lot of law involved but basically you shouldn't do it. I suggest you brush up on copyright law.

I don't know if those eBook files are DRM free.

caleb1997 wrote:
I got some gift cards, and some money. Which was enough for me to buy a X-Wing Starfighter. Best part? It's RC! And it flies!

Take a look at my post above about drones. My dad, who is an avid model RC plane - and now drone - enthusiast informed me that the same law applies to all RC devices flown in the air; from drones to planes to helicopters.
As far as Cemetech Play has improved in 2015, the UT2004 server has been drastically revamped with new maps, mutators, and game modes. Now we just need to fix the intermittent crashes.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Caleb_Hill wrote:

Yes. It's also morally wrong. Basically, just because something is DRM free doesn't mean it's copyright free. There's a lot of law involved but basically you shouldn't do it. I suggest you brush up on copyright law.

I don't know if those eBook files are DRM free.
They are, because I and my publisher don't want you to have to deal with a lot of headaches to read my books. If you give the PDFs to other people for free, you:
1) Are breaking the law by distributing copyrighted material without permission
2) Are cheating me out of royalties I would get from my book's sale
3) More importantly, are reducing the number of sales my book gets, which makes stores less likely to carry it and my publisher less likely to keep printing it.

I wrote my books as a labor of love, and it took me hundreds upon hundreds of hours to do so. I got extremely little money relative to the number of hours it took, so I'd like as many people to be able to get the books and learn from them as possible. Distributing the PDF yourself paradoxically makes that less possible, because of (3) above.

CVSoft wrote:
As far as Cemetech Play has improved in 2015, the UT2004 server has been drastically revamped with new maps, mutators, and game modes. Now we just need to fix the intermittent crashes.
Do they happen when we're using a map other than VCTF-Altiplano? Wink Thank you for your effort and time in getting our configuration all spiffed up, and I can't wait to have the time to join you all for UT matches in the near future.

I got some beautiful ties, a really snazzy pen for signing autographs in copies of my book (and other reasons, I guess, like writing, but that's less interesting Wink ), and some excellent model trains. The pictures below are from the ACS-64 locomotive plus 4 Amfleet cars set that I got. With the P42 diesel locomotive that I improved and spiffed this fall, I can (for example) simulate the whole Vermonter train that I take on a regular basis.

Nice trains Kerm!

For christmas this year I got some chocolate, a book about people in the National Inventors Hall of Fame (http://invent.org/), a raspberry pi 0 (which I don't have yet, because it's out of stock everywhere), $15 to spend at Adafruit (http://adafruit.com/) and a 1 month membership to the Tech Valley Center of Gravity (http://www.tvcog.net/)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours