If you've hung around Cemetech long enough, you're no doubt familiar with the ArTICL library that makes connecting Arduinos and MSP432 Launchpads with TI graphing calculators easy. We have demonstrated it in many forms, most recently powering a light-based Whack-a-Mole game. To further demonstrate the power of ArTICL, I've created the SimpleI/O example (source on GitHub). It uses rfdave's globalCALCnet Arduino shield with an extra pink LED, switch, button, and pager motor mounted on top. The calculator-side TI-BASIC program lets you press [F1] through [F5] (that is, [Y=] through [GRAPH]) to turn the LEDs and motor on and off, while on the Arduino side, toggling the switch or pressing the button makes the image of the switch and button on the calculator's screen do the same. I believe that this example and demo makes it a little more intuitive to the non-technical mind how the calculator and the Arduino are talking to each other. In fact, if someone finds themselves with free time and wants to experiment, I think a Mindstorms-like graphical language for controlling hardware from calculators via ArTICL could be very useful, and accessible even to our TI-BASIC programming members.

Enjoy the video of the SimpleI/O example in action below.

More Information
ArTICL library documentation
SimpleI/O example source code

I guess it's time to order a batch of boards.
Before you do so, let me see what the response is like from the teachers I'll be showing that to in two weeks. By the way, before I forget, I do have a bug report: there are 5V and 3.3V pads now, but no GND pad. Smile I ended up tapping the bottom of the sleeve pin in the three-pin header.
Good Catch. I also want to add pin labels. I guess it's time to port it to KiCad4. Looking forward to hearing any comments from the teachers.
I guess I better order parts from Mouser!

Woah! How much is it going to be for one of those? (If you are selling)
Whoa, that's a lot of boards; this is very exciting. I see you broke out more of those data and power pins, which is very exciting. Also, what is the rounded rectangle/slot-shaped white area above what would be the DC barrel jack on the Arduino?
Unicorn wrote:
Woah! How much is it going to be for one of those? (If you are selling)

I'm not sure yet, I need final pricing on parts. Somewhere between $15 and $20, most likely.

KermMartian wrote:
Whoa, that's a lot of boards; this is very exciting. I see you broke out more of those data and power pins, which is very exciting. Also, what is the rounded rectangle/slot-shaped white area above what would be the DC barrel jack on the Arduino?

The White zone is for loading and unloading only

https://youtu.be/FyOX4G7TmE0

No, it's where I'll use a sharpie for a serial number
rfdave wrote:

The White zone is for loading and unloading only

https://youtu.be/FyOX4G7TmE0
I'm proud to say that I knew the quote without the YouTube link. Smile

Quote:
No, it's where I'll use a sharpie for a serial number
Gotcha, thanks for explaining.
Is the source of the ArTICL demo program running on the TI-84 Plus CSE somewhere available for downloading? I set up my project with an Arduino prototyping shield.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours