For the fifth year in a row, we're planning to go to World Maker Faire in Queens, NYC to represent Cemetech and the calculator enthusiast community. World Maker Faire 2016 is October 1 and 2, 2016. World Maker Faire is not Maker Faire Bay Area. Last year geekboy1011, elfprince13, qazz42, and Eeems attended with me and helped share Cemetech's mission with thousands of visitors, and I'm looking forward to repeating our successes this year. We had a pair of new projects to show last year, as well as some amazing new cases built with geekboy1011 and his father. This year, we're going to stick with our proven displays, with the possible addition of a new display pending having enough time. Here's what we plan to show:
  1. The GPS demo
  2. The Game Boy camera demo, properly calibrated for sunlight
  3. The Whack-a-Mole game
  4. The Learn to Program emulator + lesson
  5. The simplified form of the networking demo
  6. The interactive calculators for games
  7. The sound demo

This topic will be for planning displays and logistics among those visiting and those attending. What do you guys think, especially people actually attending? The goal is to introduce lay people to (1) programming (2) learning programming with calculators (3) using calculators in their classroom and (4) Cemetech. Unfortunately, if you think we should show something else, I probably will need to rely on you to do the bulk of the work on the project.

Maker Faire 2016 is October 1 and 2, 2016 in New York City. If you ask when or where the Faire is in the topic, I shall be cross.
I initially didn't think I'd be able to attend Maker Fair this year, as it's my freshman year in college. However, my cousin's wedding is happening the Saturday of Maker Faire, so I'll be home at the time. I might be able to make it on Sunday before heading back to college. It'd be awesome to see you guys again, and also see the Faire. Last year my dad and I completely missed everything inside, so if we go again this year we'll be sure not to skip it Wink
Good, the things inside are just as cool as the things outside, not to mention that the Hall of Science itself is a very cool museum at which I passed many an hour as a child. As far as our displays, they'll probably be pretty similar to last year, so I wouldn't want to disappoint you there thinking we'll have too many shiny new things to show off.
KermMartian wrote:
so I wouldn't want to disappoint you there thinking we'll have too many shiny new things to show off.

But, but, but, but, why not ;D Very Happy Very Happy

That aside my attendence shall be there, and my best efforts put forth again as usual, life pending. Is there anything actually new we want todo? Or are we going to just try to spiff up last years displays a little better and just try to streamline everything?
As I've mentioned on IRC previously, my fiance (who will be Mrs Eeems at that point) and I will be attending this year and helping with the booth.

Since I'm going to be flying in, and this will be at the tail end of our honeymoon, I doubt I can bring much in. I will only really be able to help with setting up the displays and showing them off at the event, I will bring the wooden calc again this year (a small piece chipped off while it was in my bag recently Sad ). I can potentially help with any web development needs if you'd like though.

Oh yeah, where is the Faire this year? ;P
Me and my friends Ray, Charles, and Randy are coming. Also Girlfriend #3, Boyfriend #7, and Girlfriend #2b. They don't have names.
geekboy1011 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
so I wouldn't want to disappoint you there thinking we'll have too many shiny new things to show off.

But, but, but, but, why not ;D Very Happy Very Happy
Because utter and complete lack of free time for creating new things. Sad

geekboy1011 wrote:
That aside my attendence shall be there, and my best efforts put forth again as usual, life pending. Is there anything actually new we want todo? Or are we going to just try to spiff up last years displays a little better and just try to streamline everything?
If we have a TI Innovator to play with, I'd like to do some stuff with that, and/or I still kind of want to do something DCC train control-related. But I think a little spiffing is all that's truly necessary, and even there I think we mostly did well last year to prepare ourselves for future years.

Eeems wrote:
As I've mentioned on IRC previously, my fiance (who will be Mrs Eeems at that point) and I will be attending this year and helping with the booth.

Since I'm going to be flying in, and this will be at the tail end of our honeymoon, I doubt I can bring much in. I will only really be able to help with setting up the displays and showing them off at the event, I will bring the wooden calc again this year (a small piece chipped off while it was in my bag recently Sad ). I can potentially help with any web development needs if you'd like though.
Thanks, Eeems! I appreciate the offers, and I might take advantage of that last one to help get the pre- and post-Faire news articles up on Cemetech, if you'd be willing.

Quote:
Oh yeah, where is the Faire this year? ;P
/kickban Eeems
*bump* We have received confirmation that we will indeed be presenting at World Maker Faire 2016. I'll post a news article on this soon, but in the meantime, let me encourage you all to come visit us for an hour or two this year!
I look forward to prep information and possible pictures of any pre-prep things Very Happy

How many book marks are you taking? Are you taking any of those school sheet things we made? Would probably be good to start making small batches of those every couple days or so, so you don't feel any time constraints closer to the maker faire Smile
Oh, that's actually a great idea; I should get started on that soon. Thanks for the helpful suggestion! I usually photocopy 125 sheets of bookmarks, which I think is just under 900 of them, but I need to check how many of them I have left over from last year. We didn't give as many of the programming sheets away as I expected, so I probably only need to make another 30 or 40 of those.
*bump* Let's get the TODO list going here:

Tim:
[ ] Gather up displays, take photo(s) so we can double-check we have everything we need
[ ] Look for speakers
[ ] Pack displays, calculators, cables, soldering iron (?), 3D-printed stuff, computer for emulator, HDMI cable, floppy drive (?)
[ ] Load the remote control software on a calculator, if it's not there already.

Alec:
[ ] Bring media files and any calculator <> speaker adapter(s)

Christopher
[X] Make sure we have enough bookmarks -> we have 500+; I'm making the executive decision not to make more this year.
[ ] Finish making the Arduino + calculator heart rate monitor
[ ] Figure out if we can show off anything Innovator-related.
[ ] Resolder the display adapter
[ ] Calibrate the camera display, and 3D print bracket as necessary
[ ] Dry run all the displays so I know if I have all the cables and components.
[ ] If necessary, get more picture frames, print descriptions
[ ] See how many tablecloths are needed; purchase them

Did I miss anything?

Edit: In the interest of good-looking displays and minimal frustration for us, I vote we replace the GameBoy camera demo with the ECG demo I'm working on in the case. Otherwise we might have to make a new case for it or not have it in a case, both of which seem like terrible ideas. Is everyone okay with that?
KermMartian wrote:
*bump* Let's get the TODO list going here:

Tim:
[ ] Gather up displays, take photo(s) so we can double-check we have everything we need
[ ] Look for speakers
[ ] Pack displays, calculators, cables, soldering iron (?), 3D-printed stuff, computer for emulator, HDMI cable, floppy drive (?)
[ ] Load the remote control software on a calculator, if it's not there already.

My soldering iron is shot. Going to need yours.
Remote control software is loaded. Where my CSE is is another story.

Didn't you have the floppy drive. I need you to go through what you have. You should have most of the guts of the displays I thought? I will have gone through what I have later tonight and get pictures and all that stuff, Just haven't had the time yet....

What 3-D printed things? Do I need to print more?

I need to check on the speakers. I do not think have standard speakers. But I may have a bar speaker. Else we can grab a pair at goodwill later this week. Have to check.

@Kerm how is the command strip situation? Do we need to get more? Please Double check.

"Edit per kerm"
Quote:

[21:06:40] <geekboy> KermPhD
[21:06:48] <geekboy> I am missing 1 piece of wood. I think you have it
[21:06:56] <geekboy> You should have the wackamole board.
[21:07:03] <geekboy> I think you also have the pine piece for the standup of it.

With that, definitely lost the screws for the display. Need to get/find more.
  • Soldering iron: I'll try to remember to pick up my red one from my office; I don't want to carry my temperature-controlled one. I'll add it to my to-do list. Do you have random hanks of solder to bring?
  • Command strips: We used them all last year. If you have or can cheaply purchase one set of spares, that would be greatly appreciated.
  • Speakers: Keep me posted. I'll remind you tomorrow.
  • 3D printing: We have enough, I believe, but I'll check when I lay everything out tomorrow night. I meant your 3D-printed slide covers and battery covers, especially the ones with the cutouts for the power wires. I'll try to get a good handle on how many we're supposed to have (again, tomorrow). I see I have at least three of your white ones (two Omnimaga, one Cemetech) and some of my red ones.
  • Floppy drive: found it in my stuff from last year. It's not the one that got wet and ruined, right? That was 2014?
  • Foam core for book stands: all intact. Gotta remember to pack some books.
  • Picture frames and tablecloths: we need two more of each. I'll go to the misnamed "99 cent" store tomorrow during the day or after work.
  • Whack-a-Mole: I have the light board, the wires, the circuit boards, and the backing for the circuit board. I do not have the triangular support pieces: you have them, and I know that for sure because I didn't have them for T^3, and elected not to come down while I was prepping for T^3 to get them from you.

Did I miss anything?
Tell me how many more covers we need. I'll be sure to print some and or send you the files to print some as well. That being said. I have all the pieces for the displays then. Do you have Windex? Might want some for the plexiglass.

Solder. Leaded or unleaded? and want the whole pound spools or just chunks? I also have solder paste if needed Wink </sarcasm>

As for the floppy drive I have no clue do not remember. Please check Very Happy

If we want to do a time lapse again ( I think we should was awesome) I will need a webcam mine has potentially bit the dust will try it again tomorrow but not sure.

I will have to leave the picture frames, command strips, and table cloths to you. Shall explain eventually.

We also might want to print a "puck" for the wackamole because the roll of tape whilst effective....yeah Razz
geekboy1011 wrote:
Tell me how many more covers we need. I'll be sure to print some and or send you the files to print some as well. That being said. I have all the pieces for the displays then. Do you have Windex? Might want some for the plexiglass.
Great, can you please start stacking the calculators and those pieces plus USB cables, hubs, calculator cables, and whatever else you think we might need in a central location? Smile Would you mind Windexing the plexi before you pack it? I don't have any handy.

Quote:
Solder. Leaded or unleaded? and want the whole pound spools or just chunks? I also have solder paste if needed Wink </sarcasm>
Just a foot or two of leaded, in case we need it for field repairs.

Quote:
As for the floppy drive I have no clue do not remember. Please check Very Happy
I shall.

Quote:
If we want to do a time lapse again ( I think we should was awesome) I will need a webcam mine has potentially bit the dust will try it again tomorrow but not sure.
I don't have one that's not screwed into the underside of my bed. If you test yours tomorrow and it doesn't work, I'll ping Qazz42. If all else fails, maybe we can use one of Eeems' 9001 phones.

Quote:
I will have to leave the picture frames, command strips, and table cloths to you. Shall explain eventually.
Duly noted.

Quote:
We also might want to print a "puck" for the wackamole because the roll of tape whilst effective....yeah Razz
Yes! Would you be able to print one in a dark color with a simple C + lightning bolt? I can whip up the model in TinkerCAD if you'd be willing to print it.

Edit: I tracked the disconnected wires, and almost all of them were glommed onto a ground point, so I guess they were spare ground wires. The only two exceptions were LED_EN and PWMBL, both of which fit perfectly with the pinout (via the link Geekboy sent) for this LVDS adapter.
I only have my one phone with me this trip Sad
Quote:
If you want, I can do the model in SolidWorks. I could even add "Cemetech" to it. (It would also give me something to do in class, and neither would my teacher mind Smile )
Also, how big would the puck be? And would you want the file as a STL file, if I were to do one?
Eeems: Dammit. Let's ask Alec about a webcam.
Caleb_J: I need to measure it, stand by.

Updated to-pack/bring list:

Code:
Alec
-------
[ ] Power strip

Tim
-------
[ ] Calculator for programming demo
[ ] USB cable for programming demo calculator
[ ] HDMI to DVI cable
[ ] Small computer (tested)
[ ] Power strip + extension cable
[ ] Displays, Windexeed
[ ] Whack a Mole supports
[ ] Unit to unit cable
[ ] RFDave shield for networking
[ ] Solder

Christopher
[X] Soldering iron
[X] 3D printed puck
[X][X][X] Books
[X] At least two USB A cables
[-] One more shield -> Tim
[X] Screwdrivers
[X] Calculator ECG printout
[-] New Programming printout
[ ] All Arduino/Calc ECG components
[X] Whack-a-Mole: TI-84+CSE in plum
[X][X][X][X] Games/programs: HP Prime, TI-84+CE, TI-84+SE, Casio Prizm
[X][X][X][ ] Networking TI-83+s
[ ][ ] Floppy disk music TI-83+, songs TI-84+SE
[ ] Command strips
[ ] Power strip?
Maybe PT_ would consent to letting you bring his ICE program along? You could show it to serious calculator enthusiasts/programmers. That would be nICE. Very Happy
Caleb_J wrote:
Maybe PT_ would consent to letting you bring his ICE program along? You could show it to serious calculator enthusiasts/programmers. That would be nICE. Very Happy
We generally have a few calculators with cool things to show visitors who want a little deeper information than what our demos provide, and I'm sure ICE will be one of those cool things. We get a lot of questions about what programming languages can be used with the calculators, so calculators with examples of TI-BASIC, ASM, C, ICE, Axe, etc are helpful to answer that question.

For the curious, I have been doing frankly more to prepare for the Faire than I strictly have time available. On the left, I finished resoldering the connections on the Learn to Program a Game in 60 Seconds display, and (not shown) I used foam core to build a protective cover over those wires. On the right, I 3D-printed a simple "puck" to be used in place of the roll of electrical tape for the Whack-a-Mole game. It's a simple cylinder - cylinder + 'C' thrown together in TinkerCAD and printed on my XYZ Da Vinci 3D printer. Also, kudos to Caleb_J for coming up with a fancier design, albeit one I ended up not using this time.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours