What genre would you like the next contest to be in? Then elaborate.
Strategy
 35%  [ 6 ]
Platformer/sidescroller/arcade
 35%  [ 6 ]
3d
 5%  [ 1 ]
Puzzle (just did this so probably not)
 5%  [ 1 ]
RPG
 17%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 17

Yeah, that or Platformer seems to be the concensus... perhaps a second poll to narrow it down, or two contests?
KermMartian wrote:
Yeah, that or Platformer seems to be the concensus... perhaps a second poll to narrow it down, or two contests?

Uhh, Kerm, look at the results.... strategy's ahead.
AH!!!!! too many contests, and no experience or time to program good entries.

Well, good luck then.
CalcMan06 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Uhh, Kerm, look at the results.... strategy's ahead.
...and Platformer is second. So those are the two most popular options, no? Confused
What about an optimizing contest? The judges could provide a working, yet unoptimized program(lbl gotos,gotos out of loops, the same coding over and over, ect.). You could judge it based on speed, size, and if it still works as good as if not better than the original.
foamy3 wrote:
What about an optimizing contest? The judges could provide a working, yet unoptimized program(lbl gotos,gotos out of loops, the same coding over and over, ect.). You could judge it based on speed, size, and if it still works as good as if not better than the original.
Ooh, I like that idea! That might be a neat mini-contest, depending on how complex the optimizations needed to be. I guess the winner would be the one with the overall smallest & fastest program.
yeah, that would be cool, and no offense to the Tari, but his Sudoku would be a good one to do for that.
rivereye wrote:
yeah, that would be cool, and no offense to the Tari, but his Sudoku would be a good one to do for that.
Well, if he doesn't mind then, let's do it!
Quote:

I'm sure you could find some excellent optimization fodder on ticalc. Laughing
You could instead just always use the program that won the last contest as the program to optimize. that would make things a lot more challenging.
Another excellent idea! That could work well for a follow-up minicontest to each major contest, maybe something to do in the month between the major contests.
The contests are bimonthly now? I must have missed that.
Kuro wrote:
The contests are bimonthly now? I must have missed that.
Not necessarily, but someone suggested that. It seems a bit of overload though, so perhaps either every 3 or every 4 months instead?
Well, if you wanted to do monthly contests just for fun, give 2 weeks to make a good routine for something. Otherwise, full fledged contests should only be every 3-4 months, with good prizes... Cool
I agree. Huh, I wonder what would happen if I made prizes something TICI related...
Quote:
Not necessarily, but someone suggested that. It seems a bit of overload though, so perhaps either every 3 or every 4 months instead?

Depends on the magnitude of the contests. I think every 3 months sounds reasonable.
KermMartian wrote:
rivereye wrote:
Well, if he doesn't mind then, let's do it!

Go ahead with that. I'm not really that motivated to optimize it myself (although I was just working on it some) and I know it needs doing.
I like the two ideas that are currently winning. I picked Platformer because I have some experience with that area. Maybe we should start a new poll and add Optimize Code as an option.
Strategy could see a ->good<- Chess game... I have yet to see one of those.

Platformer could give way to N...
I don't think optimization would make a great contest on its own unless it were some enormous RPG or something like that. The idea of having interim mini-contests for optimizing is a good one.
A good chess game in pure BASIC... that would be something wouldn't it?

Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours