When I download the game and try to play it, it says memory insufficient. I then had to preform a ram reset to use the calculator. Should I archive the game and try again? (I have 152k ram free and 1361k arc free)
That happens a lot on my CE for mysterious reasons. I suggest downloading it, archiving it, and then clearing RAM. That usually works for me.
See, the calc is doing this cool thing called lying, which is when it says you have lots of RAM but in reality a tiny amount is lost every time you run a program. Archive it and you'll be fine, you'll have to reset the calc every now and then.
Ah! I didn’t know that’s what was happening.
King Dub Dub wrote:
See, the calc is doing this cool thing called lying, which is when it says you have lots of RAM but in reality a tiny amount is lost every time you run a program. Archive it and you'll be fine, you'll have to reset the calc every now and then.
What? Unless something has changed on the TI-84 Plus CE, this is not accurate (or an ASM program/shell has a bug that is leaking UserMem).
Considering I've never found out what's losing RAM, I'm willing to admit I'm incorrect. However I've had experience with dense programs (GenesisX by EverdayCode is the best example) not being able to run after a while, even if I'd just exited out of them. What exactly would have changed on the CE, do you mean from other models or in a recent update? I'm running 5.4. I do know that checking the memory on-calc lies, since I've had it say I've got 152 kb before and be unable to run programs without resetting, after which it still says I have 152 kb.
I always put the game in Archive memory myself (there's not enough RAM to store the game and all the data in RAM anyway). But if you have everything in Archive and the memory menu is showing 152KB of RAM free, then I'm not sure what's causing the issue.

If backing up everything to Archive and doing a RAM reset fixed it, then yeah it sounds like something was corrupted.
Sounds like a memory leak to me - you will have to look at all the programs you are using to see if one of them is causing the issue.

If the amount of free RAM decreases every time you run a certain program that would be a fair indicator of the culprit.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours