Before I even get started asking questions, let me get this point across right now.

All my current projects will be as is. I am not moving any of my BASIC programs to asm, I am wanting to learn asm (except the stupid negative number crap... Kerm knows about this Rolling Eyes ) I am wanting to learn as I take breaks from Pokemon Purple.

Now, what I am wondering/needing:

I need a compiler that will do normal Z80, (83+) and then I also would like one to be able to do Flash. Yes, I realize I have the ultimate asm portal page, but what I need to know is what will work on XP. And for normal z80, Please do not tell me to use TASM. I have had some bad experiences making that work. And I mean very bad experiences. It took Kerm and Ultimate D'var 2 and a half weeks to help me get a hello world program to compile.

The main stipulation is that it has to work on an WinXP machine. So basically, this is more for Kerm, cause I think his tablet runs WinXP.

Links would be splendid, if you could be so kind to provide them. Smile
>Compiler: Brass ( http://benryves.com/bin/brass/ )
>Include File: Get DWedit's multipurpose file: ( http://tifreakware.calcgames.org/ainfo/87.htm )
>Linker: wabbit.exe ( http://www.revsoft.org/wabbit.zip ) You only really need that for Flash Apps, otherwise stick with the builtin 83p-ing tools of Brass.
Well, dling these things:

http://tifreakware.calcgames.org/ccount/click.php?id=82 (appguru)

http://calcgames.org/cgi-bin/files/files.cgi?ID=716 (asmin28days)

http://tifreakware.calcgames.org/ccount/click.php?id=81 (ionguru)

I figured those items would be good for learning asm...

What ever happened to your asm compiler Kerm?
I still have it. I'm going to be updating it to be compatible with Brass and DCS6 for the DCS6 release.
ok, so basically, what you linked to will do both asm and flash app??
Correct. If you get that stuff, a bit of fussing with a batch file I will write you when you start developing will get you on your way.
Sweet. I might see about making a hello world program tonight, see if I can make that compile again... I sure as heck hope that it doesnt take us 2 weeks again to make my system compile... Razz

Edit: Well, it looks like I need .NETframework 2 or something, I will see about finding it... >.<
.NET Framework 2.0

And when you get .NET Framework 2.0, maybe you could get Visual Studio and learn Visual Basic/C++/C#/ASP .NET Wink.

I use Assembly Studio 8x.
thank you, I will see about dling the netframework. Smile

And I tried using Assembly studio 8x, but as with most things, it refused to work. I even had Cullen Sauls helping me to diagnose it, and it just wouldn't work.

But thanks, once I get through the updates, I will dl it.
tifreak8x wrote:
I am wanting to learn asm (except the stupid negative number crap... Kerm knows about this Rolling Eyes )

What is that suppose to mean?

btw, I recommend Spencer's assembler

Only because it has caused less problems compared to TASM.

Latenite is good, but the way includes were designed, it annoyed me how I couldn't get Jim e's RGP to work with it. Then again, everything that Jim e distributes needs to be tailored to your needs.

edit: oh ya lots of luck!!!!!

if you need help, just give a holler. my AIM sn is still calcul831415 (I haven't been able to find a make a good one with Liazon in it XD)
Wait, Dan, don't necessarily use LateNite. You just want brass.exe, which doesn't the the .Net framework at all - it's a command line proggy.
you sure Kerm? I thought benryves wrote everything in C#
That is what I dled. It says

File Name: Brass
Type: Application
Size: 192KB

(That is from the properties menu)

Liazon:

No offense, but I will find it much easier to simply post questions about asm here. And besides, I dont have any chat software on this machine, nor anything else that I own.
KermMartian wrote:
Wait, Dan, don't necessarily use LateNite. You just want brass.exe, which doesn't the the .Net framework at all - it's a command line proggy.

Quote:
Brass requires an implementation of the .NET 2.0 Framework. Microsoft's works best for Windows, for other operating systems (such as Linux or MacOSX) Mono is up to the job.

Rolling Eyes Kerm, you do know that .NET has nothing to do with a GUI, right? Its just a library (and a non-GUI one at that Wink )
Tifreak8x, I will be here for any and all questions you have. Good luck. Trust me, ASM isn't that hard to learn. Smile

I agree with everyone so far. Brass, Latenite, EarlyMorning, and PindurTI are the wave of the future. You might as well begin with them instead of trying to convert later on. Cool
Chipmaster wrote:
Tifreak8x, I will be here for any and all questions you have. Good luck. Trust me, ASM isn't that hard to learn. Smile

I agree with everyone so far. Brass, Latenite, EarlyMorning, and PindurTI are the wave of the future. You might as well begin with them instead of trying to convert later on. Cool
Ha, not if I answer his questions first... Very Happy
Ok, first thing then. Lets discuss setup. Smile Where in the heck do I put everything?!?
Ooh! Ooh! I can answer this one....

Wherever you want. I would suggest you follow the windows "norm" and put each program in its own program files folder (so C:\Program Files\brass\brass.exe ). For the command-line invoked stuff (compiler, linker, appsigning, etc...) I suggest you add that folder to the path, so that you can just type "brass" instead of "C:\Program Files\brass\brass".

To add a folder to the system path, go to the control panel->system, on the "Advanced" tab click the button called "Environment Variables". In the "System Variables" section, select (you may have to scroll down) "Path", hit Edit, and add to the end ";C:\Program Files\brass" (assuming, of course, that you placed brass.exe into C:\Program Filles\brass\) After that, a reboot *may* be necessary, but often just opening a new command line and typing brass will work. This way you don't have to mess with all that bat files and only placing sources in certain folders crap. Smile

Do this for everything you need to invoke from the command line.

The include file, however, probably has to go either in the same folder as brass.exe or in the same folder as the sources - on that I am not certain, sorry
The include file needs to be with the compiler, not the source.
Ok, so If I had a set up of:

c:\Program Files\ASM\brass.exe

I would need the include file in there, correct??

Where do I put the source code??

Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours