Lately, our good buddy Pieman7373 has had doubts about his programming ability not being nearly as refined as his peers. So here's me proving him quite wrong, and explaining why Cemetech is a madhouse of brilliant minds all around, including Pieman's. If you too feeling illegitimate in the programming plane, let me clear some things up.

Pieman's achievements: Just take a look here plus being the 1st place winner of Cemetech Contest 18. And that's not to mention his vigorous involvement on the Cemetech forum and on HCWP, as we can tell from a whopping 246 karma.

Calculator Programming It's kind of hard to explain to those who've never tried any coding, but low level languages like literally all calculator languages are really hard! Not having access to very high level functions, and only a limited supply of variables and memory calls for ingenuity and intelligence not found in very many other places. Where an Android developer can write a few lines to draw a nice, simple 3D textured object, we would have to write hundreds. So if you look around and think you aren't nearly as good as the other Cemetech greats, think about not only the skills required to be active in this community, but the relatively minuscule size of this community. Some would say it's just a strange hobby, but I think it might be some of something else. You've got to be good. When you think about it, If you're a Cemetechian, you're likely among the top 10,000 or so calculator developers in the world. It's obscure, yes, but a bit selective. Again, you've got to be good. You have to be able to design new ways to work around the obstacles that coding a slow, small, restricted platform presents. You've got to be good.

So if you're reading this post, an of you, you're probably good.Graphing Calculator
If you could beat PT_ with his own programming language (ICE), why are you doubtful Question

You're clearly a top programmer brah. Stop da doubt.
I would like to say, when I joined this forum, I distinctly remember looking at CC18's winning entry and thinking "I want to be able to do something like THAT someday..."

I also remember looking up to users like Pieman, womp, and PT_ as idols, and I still do.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I would like to say, when I joined this forum, I distinctly remember looking at CC18's winning entry and thinking "I want to be able to do something like THAT someday..."

I also remember looking up to users like Pieman, womp, and PT_ as idols, and I still do.

Well, thanks! Im flattered, except you should look up to womp and PT_ more than me, they are in a different league than i am
Pieman7373 wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

Well, thanks! Im flattered, except you should look up to womp and PT_ more than me, they are in a different league than i am

Is that doubt I smell?
Pieman7373 wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

Thanks guys, I think it's important to note that I had little to no coding skills when I first joined cemetech. I distinctly remember tifreak telling me I needed to use the End token to close off If statements, which I think just illustrates that I knew absolutely nothing.
It's all a matter of evolving and learning over a period of time. Just the act of being active in the community, you learn so much. I got to see Pieman go through this process, and now I'm sure we are both about as knowledgeable when it comes to ti-basic. Of course, now we have both moved onto different things, but we still do keep in touch.
Also, it's not a competition, we should all strive to be the best coders we can be, instead of comparing ourselves to others. There is always more to learn, and I think the more I learn, the more I know that I don't know. Even very seasoned coders such as Kerm and Mateo, who've been around the block I'm sure will admit there are tons of things they don't know, and that should drive them to go out and learn some more.
I just stumbled across this topic again, and it is great to see that people thought I was cool at one point, even though I still think that I very much am not... Also, I haven't talked to CalcMeister/Sam in forever and it makes me sad
Pieman7373 wrote:
I just stumbled across this topic again, and it is great to see that people thought I was cool at one point, even though I still think that I very much am not... Also, I haven't talked to CalcMeister/Sam in forever and it makes me sad

Dungeon CE is cool. Therefore you are cool, Pieman! Very Happy
Pieman7373 wrote:

You are just as cool as you make your mind up to be! - Abe Lincoln

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours