Im currently developing a new tag thingy for HTML. This uses CSS and HTML to format your webpage. Im adding tags like <tkcenter> and <red> to the useable HTML database.

The GitHub Repo is here
People have kind of agreed that html should be for the content and layout, while css would be for styling... This is why they have made attributes like vspace, and tags like center obsolete, and now recommend to use css to style those instead...Same reason why they now recommend to use font-style:italic and font-weight:bold, rather than <b> and <i>, but they still recommend the use of <strong> and <em>, because those affect the way a screen-reader will read the text to someone who is visually impaired, so those would be considered part of the content, rather than the style. This standardization is part of what makes html/css so easy to pick up by new web developers. What you're doing is the exact opposite, so I think by the same logic, you would be making it harder for people to learn the language, unless you are trying to entirely get rid of css and have only one big complicated html, but that sounds like a heck of a job Razz
mr womp womp wrote:
People have kind of agreed that html should be for the content and layout, while css would be for styling... This is why they have made attributes like vspace, and tags like center obsolete, and now recommend to use css to style those instead...Same reason why they now recommend to use font-style:italic and font-weight:bold, rather than <b> and <i>, but they still recommend the use of <strong> and <em>, because those affect the way a screen-reader will read the text to someone who is visually impaired, so those would be considered part of the content, rather than the style. This standardization is part of what makes html/css so easy to pick up by new web developers. What you're doing is the exact opposite, so I think by the same logic, you would be making it harder for people to learn the language, unless you are trying to entirely get rid of css and have only one big complicated html, but that sounds like a heck of a job Razz

I see your point, but this is why i'm working on this. I do not want to have to learn more than one language for web design, and this project is to make things easier for other web developers. by learning this one version of hybrid HTML, web design could potentially be easier and better.
Interesting! I have a few reservations, such as <span> elements are all on the same line by default unless separated by a <br> or through styling where as <div> elements are always on a new line.

Code:
<span>this</span><span>that</span>
--

thisthat
-----------

<div>this</div><div>that</div>
--

this

that

I realize one can just nest tags inside of tags, <bk-red><div> but do you have any plans to mimic div properties? Such that <red-box> could be a div-like element but with a red background or something?

Secondly, why are you putting in work for tags that already exist? <u> is underline. I assume <underline> is for clarity and readability? Since <u> is not entirely self-explanatory to someone trying to read or memorize code. Do you plan to recreate <b>/</strong> and <i>/<em> as well?
Alex wrote:

I realize one can just nest tags inside of tags, <bk-red><div> but do you have any plans to mimic div properties? Such that <red-box> could be a div-like element but with a red background or something?

I do want to add things to HTML that the current language does not have. However, to do things like red-box could be done, but i would have to cover all senarios like blue-box and green-box. I plan to just keep div elements and use class="bdrred bkblue" and the likes
Alex wrote:

Secondly, why are you putting in work for tags that already exist? <u> is underline. I assume <underline> is for clarity and readability? Since <u> is not entirely self-explanatory to someone trying to read or memorize code. Do you plan to recreate <b>/</strong> and <i>/<em> as well?

Oh. Yea my HTML is a little outdated (i worked on HTML 4.2 for the last 5 years) so i am a little out of the loop. Some of it is also for the convenience. I want beginners to pick this up very easily.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours