I don't usually post about this type of stuff, but this is special.
I also know most people on here besides cvsoft don't really care about "rare" calculators, particularly ti-82s...
I was rummaging through ebay as I regularly do in search of rare ti-82 roms and HRs. I found some pretty early ones, as I often do, but I also stumbled upon a very early one. The datecode reads I-0493B. I didn't even know there were datecodes older than 0593, and I wasn't able to find any mention of this existing. The serial number was 0466015. Some things were a little off such as the HR being B, which should be in 0593, and the color of the sticker being black, but I figured with such early 82s, strange discrepancies were to be expected. Needless to say, I swiftly purchased the calculator, and sent it to pieman7373's house.

Only moments later, after having a closer look did I notice what was going on... It was a ti-81 sticker stuck on a ti-82 Laughing
That explains why the text was black rather than white, and the serial number/datecode fits, because the ti-81 HR B was still in production at that time.
Here is the picture that caused all of this.
Oh no, how frustrating! I'd imagine that that's therefore not a particularly specially-late version of the TI-81, even? When I saw the topic title it seemed like something CVSoft would be interested in indeed, but I guess not. At least you have a TI-81 for your collection now, if you didn't already.
Wow. Does that look like an actual factory mix-up, or just someone later on who got a little too bored?
It is not a particularly interesting ti-81. I already own a few ti-81s, but the calculator was still an 82, just with the wrong sticker... Since there is no way for me to know the revision of the 82 that its been stuck to, I asked the seller to cancel my order, and the seller was kind enough to provide a refund.
I responded on Facebook but didn't know there was a topic on this (I've been lax on / too busy for opening IRC lately). You can see where the sticker was peeled off the TI-81.

What ended up being the ROM version on that calculator?
CVSoft wrote:
I responded on Facebook but didn't know there was a topic on this (I've been lax on / too busy for opening IRC lately). You can see where the sticker was peeled off the TI-81.

What ended up being the ROM version on that calculator?

Like I said in the chat, for calculators this old, it is not uncommon for the stickers to be peeling off, so I didn't think much of it. I never found out what the actual ROM version of the ti-82 was, because I canceled the order. It did have the gold type designator though, so for all I know, it could still have been a rare version, but to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to confirm just based on the physical appearance, given the lack of datecode/serial number.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours