should we start a podcast
yes
 33%  [ 4 ]
no
 16%  [ 2 ]
don't care
 50%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 12

why dont we start a community podcast about calculaters, programming, and related news
Already have one. We put it out every once in a while, when JPez and I feel like hosting it. We haven't had one for a few months though.
where is it and can i get it through itunes, and still a regular one would be nice, maybe weekly, or monthly, or once every 2 weeks. i believe that this would also be a good resource for new developers if we do it right
We do it through Skype, so that everyone can participate. So far we haven't recorded it for posterity since the quality was somewhat low, but we do have the capability.
ah so it is not a podcast but a scypecast
i want to get voices through scype, but record it so even those without scype or not available at the time can do it
Of course. We both have audacity, so it's a breeze to record it and then host it somewhere.
Notice that currently "no" is winning Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
Notice that currently "no" is winning Wink
I voted for no because no, there's no need to start one. We already have one. Smile
well, I vote as I usually do, not really caring. So right now, yes is behind.
so lets start actually hosting it, i can probobly work on the rss feed, and we can make it a podcast, and add it to itunes
and no Kerm it is not a podcast untill you host it, and make an rss feed with the enclosures
Dude, we don't quite have a podcast yet, Kerm. Luckily, I do actually have experience submitting a podcast through iTunes (it mostly involves a lot of proprietary RSS); it's not terribly difficult. We should totally start {skype/pod}casting again and submit it to iTunes. Good Idea
jpez wrote:
Dude, we don't quite have a podcast yet, Kerm. Luckily, I do actually have experience submitting a podcast through iTunes (it mostly involves a lot of proprietary RSS); it's not terribly difficult. We should totally start {skype/pod}casting again and submit it to iTunes. Good Idea
I know we don't have one, but we had the plan, and we had the practice, so it was basically in the works. Smile
bah, don't submit to itunes, use RSS isntead (itune's so called RSS isn't technically RSS due to its proprietary tags). Not all of us like i-loony-tunes and all the crap it installs.
then lets make 2 feeds, one for itunes, one for other aggregators, i might even be able to host the most recent one if we do this, and i could probobly do editing. if i get my own server at home i could even host past shows
Thanks, but I have plenty of hosting on my own. Smile Oh, and I agree with Kllrnohj. I think just one feed, RSS only, would be fine. That would give more flexibility, since if I understand it correctly, iTunes can read normal podcast RSS feeds.
There's no reason to not make it iTunes compatible...you can have the proprietary tags and the standard ones.
jpez wrote:
There's no reason to not make it iTunes compatible...you can have the proprietary tags and the standard ones.

But then you can't call it RSS and not be lieing Smile
Kerm, if i get a home server (ie buy a comp and use it as a dedicated server) i can host it for free and not have a limited bandwith, and if we do this regularly it will suck a lot of bandwith, and my connection is fast enough for it to work
gscm wrote:
Kerm, if i get a home server (ie buy a comp and use it as a dedicated server) i can host it for free and not have a limited bandwith, and if we do this regularly it will suck a lot of bandwith, and my connection is fast enough for it to work

Yes, lets think about that for a sec... Average top upstream speed? 512kbs-768kbs (And I'm being optimistic here). That means, if 1 person is trying to download the file, the download would go at 64KB/sec to 96KB/sec. Assuming it is a marginally successful podcast and that 5 people are downloading at the same time, speeds would drop to 12KB/sec to 20KB/sec. Due to the decreased download speed, that would increase downloading time, thereby increasing the chances that another person will start downloading, and divide the available bandwidth further.

In short, your home line sucks big time for server use, despite what you think. Kerm, on the other hand, is at college were I believe he said he is using the college's T3 lines, which would absolutely destroy whatever wimpy cable/DSL connection you may have, particularly in terms of upstream.
Word, yo.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours