swivelgames wrote:
I have actually found that more computers with Norton get infected than ones with Avast! and Mcafee. So I dont know if I should switch anti-virus programs or what.

Because Norton, McAfee, and other big-named AV's aren't as good at protecting your computers since virus writers are know checking their viruses against them first. Oh, and stay away from McAfee. Even after you pay for it the dang thing still hounds you with ads for its other products (the security checking thing is a scam, it only looks for how much mcafee crap you have, not your actual security)....

@Ult Dev'r: NTFS write support in the kernel is experimental (although safe), and extremely limited. You cannot create new files, new folders, or change the size of a file. If you write, the file must stay the same size. I consider that "no write support", as its incredibly difficult to keep the file the same size for anything except maybe a spell check or a config value change Smile
Yah, all the computers with Avast are completely fine, Norton is the program that most viruses target. Because its most popular. This virus disabled Norton as its first act. I mean, Norton was completely dead. One of the reasons I call this virus "The Worst Virus in the World".

Right as I put Avast! on the computer, the virus was go with in a few days. Though the damage was already done. The computer does not act up as bad as it used to, though the internet connection only works using IE 6, and when closing an IE page it comes up with 2 Error Reports. And sometimes it closes all windows.
and did you try the method I posted? I garauntee that it'll work or you're money back! (and since you aren't paying for this method, that could also be translated as "or tough luck" Very Happy )
Kllrnohj wrote:
and did you try the method I posted? I garauntee that it'll work or you're money back! (and since you aren't paying for this method, that could also be translated as "or tough luck" Very Happy )

rofl. Yah, thats the next thing I was going to try. That usually does the trick, I just dont know why I did'nt think of it before. I think that was the original plan, but after about a few months we kinda left it. Now that it is undercontrol of my dad. We kinda left it up to him. Now that he keeps it, he wants me to take care of the maintenance.
Quote:
@Ult Dev'r: NTFS write support in the kernel is experimental (although safe), and extremely limited. You cannot create new files, new folders, or change the size of a file. If you write, the file must stay the same size. I consider that "no write support", as its incredibly difficult to keep the file the same size for anything except maybe a spell check or a config value change

http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

Quote:
How to access NTFS from Linux
You have these two options, choose one:

1) Linux has an integrated kernel driver. It allows reading of files, and rewriting existing files. It does not support creation of new files or deletion of existing files. It works out of the box in most modern Linux distributions except Redhat/Fedora. For details on how to use it, see the "How to mount NTFS" wiki page. Click here if you are a Redhat/Fedora user.

2) ntfsprogs includes an improved driver, ntfsmount, which provides the same functionality as the kernel driver. Additionally it also supports basic cases of directory, symlink, device and FIFO file creation, deletion and renaming. Note: That doesn't mean it always succeeds, it is still experimental and might just as well refuse to complete an operation in order to prevent corruption. See the ntfsmount page for more details.
Project updates:

There is currently lots of progress being made in the linux-ntfs project, and we are once again moving one step closer to a full implementation of a read/write ntfs driver for linux.

On 07/14/2006, Project Member Szabolcs Szakacsits presented a new version of our ntfsmount and libntfs, currently given the project internal title ntfs-3g. This version has, apart from several rather unlikely cases, full read/write capabilities and has improved performance. As news spreads quickly, it has already been downloaded and tested by many users, and no incident has been reported so far. Despite of that it is still to be considered beta, and will upon successfull testing (in some way or the other) merge into the linux-ntfs ntfsprogs package

So, you can get full read/write capabilities, but it's very rare Laughing So it's uber-experimental Laughing But I guess you'd still consider that "no write support" Razz
Note that I said the one IN THE KERNEL. Do you realize that it would be very hard to install linux-ntfs on a liveCD? (assuming, of course, that the liveCD even has the tools on it to do so - and Ubuntu install won't even give you GCC, much less the liveCD)
Meh, just call it no NTFS support and leave it at that. It's so much easier for everyone involved.
Quote:
Note that I said the one IN THE KERNEL.

Sorry; I posted before I finished typing; I was going to say 'then we move onto third party software'.

Quote:
Do you realize that it would be very hard to install linux-ntfs on a liveCD? (assuming, of course, that the liveCD even has the tools on it to do so - and Ubuntu install won't even give you GCC, much less the liveCD)

Not really...I've rebuilt DSL w/linux-ntfs

Quote:
Meh, just call it no NTFS support and leave it at that. It's so much easier for everyone involved.

What's wrong with difficulty? Razz
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Quote:
Do you realize that it would be very hard to install linux-ntfs on a liveCD? (assuming, of course, that the liveCD even has the tools on it to do so - and Ubuntu install won't even give you GCC, much less the liveCD)

Not really...I've rebuilt DSL w/linux-ntfs

Yes, but was that from WITHIN the liveCD environment or before you burned it?
I've done both...but I see what you're saying; rebuilding a live cd from a live cd is more difficult than rebuilding a livecd from another host, but not quite 'very hard' Razz Laughing
proegssilb wrote:
I never quite got this to work, but there is a going theory that you can boot some computers off of a USB Key. If so, could you then make that USB Key a portable OS based off of a live disk?

I have booted off of a USB key. A 512 MB Portable dik drive w/ win95 boot files(Into dos) and was able to tell that the HD on the laptop was shot.
netham45 wrote:
proegssilb wrote:
I never quite got this to work, but there is a going theory that you can boot some computers off of a USB Key. If so, could you then make that USB Key a portable OS based off of a live disk?

I have booted off of a USB key. A 512 MB Portable dik drive w/ win95 boot files(Into dos) and was able to tell that the HD on the laptop was shot.
Ah, that was a good plan. I was originally surprised that a win95 machine had USB ports, but then I read it more carefully and realize it wasn't the computer that had 95, it was the key. Smile Good job.
It had '95 boot files; the OS was DOS.

Did you guys know that there's a Windows livecd? (Well, kinda; it's made by the same guy who invented the Modboot floppies http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/)
I DO have Windows 95 files on the drive, though they are the uninstalled CAB files. I havn't been able to free up enough room on the drive to install it.
Edit:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
It had '95 boot files; the OS was DOS.

Did you guys know that there's a Windows livecd? (Well, kinda; it's made by the same guy who invented the Modboot floppies http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/)

Anything like this for 98? I think that XP is a bit big to be able to do much with on a CD.
Also, If I do this on a CDRW, can I natively write to the CD? or do I have to have special drivers?
...So you booted into DOS that came with Win95?
Yeah. I basically used the IO.sys MSDOS.sys and COMMAND.com files. I just coppied them using the sys command.
I wasn't able to do much in dos though.
netham45 wrote:
Anything like this for 98? I think that XP is a bit big to be able to do much with on a CD.
Also, If I do this on a CDRW, can I natively write to the CD? or do I have to have special drivers?

Its not actually a full windows XP, and it fits just fine. It doesn't contain, for example, all the fancy direct X and windows media player. It is a minimal XP session, and it has plenty of space left over for things like antivirus scanners, network tools, password changers, etc...
Quote:

I don't think anyone's written to a CDRW that the OS was booted from...trying to get write functions to a CDRW that you're currently reading the OS from would be difficult...and would most likely fail.
there are some distributions of this Cd's that fit on ram like DSL it copies hiomself to the ram so you could even remove the cd from the drive as it will not be used... another thing is that the virus have corrupted the system doesn't mean that you have loss data on contraire you can get your data bak with some utilities on web that recover even files deleted from the hard drive... As many people knows widows doesn't true deletes the files it only disables them...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours