Abstract:
As most users of this forum already know, our founder and head maintainer KermMartian possesses skills in programming and technology in general at a level not usually achievable for mere mortal human beings. However, research about Kerm's physical powers is very limited to this day. We conducted a detailed analysis of publicly available statistics and came to the conclusion that, based on typing speed, Kerm is physically superior to the average computer nerd.

Data:
The research is based mostly on data available at KermMartians's user profile as well as the bottom of the forum root page. At the time of research, the relevant parts of those sources contained the following information:
Cemetech wrote:
Our members have made a total of 275,170 posts consisting of 14,920,916 words in 13,598 topics
We have 22,516 registered users

Cemetech wrote:
KermMartian has made 63,169 posts containing 2,684,124 words, averaging 12.7588 posts per day and 42 words per post. KermMartian's posts are 23.7917% of Cemetech's forum posts. [...]

Analysis:
The first piece of information that immediately catches the reader's eye is that "KermMartian's posts are 23.7917% of Cemetech's forum posts". While this number is notable on its own account, the gravity of the situation does not become clear until we compare it with the "22,516 registered users" of Cemetech. A quick calculation*₁ tells us that 5,357 average users collectively generate about as much data as KermMartian does alone.

But how much data is this, exactly? A look at the user profile diagram shows us that the maximum posts per day happened some time at the beginning of 2006. While this number is certainly tempting to analyse, the data point seems like an anomaly on a single day and cannot be precisely read as it seems to go off the scale of our diagram. Instead, we should use the peak rate in the second half of 2010, at just over 120 posts per day. While the National Sleep Foundation recommends that the average adult human sleeps for about 7 - 9 hours per day*₂, well known facts about Kerm*₃ necessitate different estimates. 6 hours of sleep time and 18 hours of Internet usage seem to be reasonable guesses. However, while there is no scientific evidence available to support this assumption, it seems probable that even Kerm has basic biologic needs that need to be accounted for. Most notably, there are meals which take time to prepare and consume. A random paper on researchgate.net*₄ suggests that the average adult in the US spends about 67 minutes at meals per day, while the US Department of Agriculture cites*₅ that men in the US spend around 22 minutes per day preparing their meals. Adding various other activities preventing a person from using the Internet for their duration might add up to 2 hours per day, and leaves 16 hours per day for Kerm to use Cemetech. To get a better understanding of the numbers involved, 120 posts in 16 hours directly translate to one post every 8 minutes.

However, this does not yet yield any concrete information about KermMartian's mental processing and typing speed. The above user statistic tells us, that "KermMartian has made 63,169 posts containing 2,684,124 words", which yields an average of 42.49 words (rounded to two decimal places), which we assume was the same in 2010. A paper found on arxiv.org*₆ determines the average English word to be 5.1 letters in length. However, typing a post involves pressing the space bar and additional typography, so we may safely assume an excess of 6.1 keystrokes per word, and, by extension, 259.19 keystrokes per post or 0.54 keystrokes per second [assuming 8 posts per minute], of pure typing on Cemetech.

Conclusion:
It should be noted that Kerm's time spent on Cemetech could not have been pure typing. There must have been page load times, reading and processing replies, clicking buttons and links and likely more steps necessary to generate a post. Factoring in the times spent during these activities is near impossible, however, 0.54 keystrokes per second if accounting for such times, as well as the mental and physical speed probably required to output the data equivalent of 5,357 average users, seem worthy of special recognition.
The findings presented here seem to strongly support the popular theory that KermMartian is of extra-terrestrial nature, possibly indeed Martian in origin.

Footnotes:
*₁ 22,515 [users excluding KermMartian himself] * 0.237917 [% of posts] ≈ 5,357 [users]
*₂ https://www.sleepfoundation.org/press-release/national-sleep-foundation-recommends-new-sleep-times/page/0/1
*₃ For more information, refer to the "~kermsleep" factoid [command] on Cemetech's SAX chat or IRC channel.
*₄ https://www.researchgate.net/publication/262487773_How_Much_Time_Do_Americans_Spend_on_Food
*₅ https://www.ers.usda.gov/amber-waves/2016/november/americans-spend-an-average-of-37-minutes-a-day-preparing-and-serving-food-and-cleaning-up/
*₆ https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1208/1208.6109.pdf
This is amazing XD
You do know it is all inflated right? Those are not the actual numbers.
MateoConLechuga wrote:

Mankind's primitive numbering systems cannot comprehend the 'actual numbers'.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
[citation needed] All of the numbers are automatically computed from the posts. I think what you mean to say is "the word count script counts spaces, and therefore probably counts text in quotes and text in codeboxes in word counts" (although I'm not sure that that's true).
Hi everybody,

The answer is written in the nickname, KermMartian is a Martian, that's all!!!

Seriously, i think he is a good person, he produce a lot, he write a lot and always positive.

So IMHO he is doing a good job, our planet needs more people like KermMartian.

Congratulations for your good work KermMartian!
He runs a company, administrates a forum, and finds time to post with correct grammar. What other evidence do you need? Razz
Also,
!q 216
DecBot3 wrote:
216: [notipa] KermPhD wrote Doors CS 7 in 15 minutes, while waiting for a train to arrive, on-calculator, using AsmComp. [Added: thelastmillenial at 2018.01.26 03:53:17 UTC]

Don't forget the fact that he basically made the entire Doors series Razz
Dont repeat it but somebody saw him walking on water...
Lest you guys make me feel too good about myself, don't forget that I also have doofy hair and am overly enamored of trains. Wink

The locals motivate!

Hem, it sounds better in french : Les locaux motivent
Haha, that is a very awesome picture though Kerm! But not quite perfect.

You own the train now:
KermMartian wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:
[citation needed] All of the numbers are automatically computed from the posts. I think what you mean to say is "the word count script counts spaces, and therefore probably counts text in quotes and text in codeboxes in word counts" (although I'm not sure that that's true).

To add to this discussion, after some experimentation, P_T (mostly) and I (slightly) found out that the word count is calculated by removing anything in [quote] tags, counting the amount of spaces and adding one. As far as we can tell.
Nik wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:

To add to this discussion, after some experimentation, P_T (mostly) and I (slightly) found out that the word count is calculated by removing anything in [q​uote] tags, counting the amount of spaces and adding one. As far as we can tell.

This is more or less correct. Quotes are not included in the word counts, I'm not sure how words are counted but that's a reasonable assumption, as is using explode($message, " "); and counting the total values of the array.

That said, fantastic analysis. Are you ready to defend it for your Masters of User Statistics from Cemetech University?
The biggest problem I see there is that [code] blocks are included in the user's word count. We should probably fix that at some point (and re-run the word computations, since I don't think they get corrected when posts are edited or deleted or topics are deleted).

Michael: That may be the best and most accurate photo of me ever taken.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours