Well, to help make TIFW more efficient, I have decided to start using more css to define TIFW. (I guess that is what I wanted to say, man am I tired...)

Anyways, Weregoose is helping me understand some of the basic stuff of css, and is assisting with errors that crop up that I dont understand. So if you see something that is not quite right, dont fear, it is being fixed...

curently, TIFW main page has 266 errors. Or at least according to xhtml strict, which weregoose recommended.
I'd go with XHTML Strict if I were you. Will you be using the main.css stylesheet that I set up for you for the buttons?
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ftifreakware.calcgames.org%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline

If anyone was interested, there it is...

I am doing xhtml, since that will probably be the best way I actually learn, since it is quite descriptive with its errors and what not, and things did seem to pop up just a hair faster with the few fixes I have made.

And yes, I am just adding on to the css file that you put up there. I thought it would be best not to have 2 css files on there, make things easier. Smile

I have determined alot of the errors are having > as an end instead of />. So I guess that is what I will hammer away at until it is fixed on at least that page. I think there is something like 200 pages on TIFW now, so this might take a LONG time...
some of it also is the fact that you also have design aspects still in your HTML. I will help out where possible also.
I bet you'd have a lot less errors if you declared your pages as HTML 3.01 Transitional.... anyway. also remember that in Strict all tags must consist of only lowercase labels (img, td, border, href, etc instead of B, U, FONT, etc).
I saw a problem with IE seeing the grey color for the news post, I think defining the color in the css will fix it.

And yes, I realize that there are a lot of stupid simple mistakes there. But I am sure things will work better when they are all fixed... Smile
Definitely. Pages load much faster in compliant browsers when they follow correctly.
Well, what I mean is I have it in the css as th.grey {background: grey;}, and I am thinking that it should be th.grey {background: #888888;}. It worked for mudugly, the afiliates bar. Laughing (the color for that is 008888. Very Happy Oh yes, and I know that I can short hand those to #888 and #088 repectively...)
tifreak8x wrote:
Well, what I mean is I have it in the css as th.grey {background: grey;}, and I am thinking that it should be th.grey {background: #888888;}. It worked for mudugly, the afiliates bar. 0x5 (the color for that is 008888. Very Happy Oh yes, and I know that I can short hand those to #888 and #088 repectively...)
Indeed you can. Surprisingly, I only learned that shorthand about a year ago.
I knew about it, but since everyone used 6 digits instead of 3, I thought that was the preferred method. Oh well. Smile

Gonna see if I can't get some of them errors knocked down.

You should check out the css occasionally. Smile I hope to learn a ton more stuff about it...
I noticed that the link buttons got broken somehow - you want me to check it out, or can you take care of it?
Idea to make for a cool effect (IMO):
Make a background for the page and then add the CSS transparancy effect to the tables, then add an outset border and table background for that 3d-ish look.
KermMartian wrote:
I noticed that the link buttons got broken somehow - you want me to check it out, or can you take care of it?

you would know better than me on how to fix it... Anyways, gonna finish the sprites and then work some more on this...
tifreak8x wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

you would know better than me on how to fix it... Anyways, gonna finish the sprites and then work some more on this...
OK, I'll take a look at it tomorrow then.
Well, I am getting mostly no attribute errors... This should be fun to fix... Since it seems they are mostly in the google ads, and the webrings at the bottom... Oh well, will have to see if I can have permission to fix the google ad from calcgames staff, and I will see what can be done about the other things. Any suggestions on how to fix some of these no attribute errors would be greatly appreciated... Very Happy
Well, I am almost proud of myself. Last night, Goose explained some more on different attributes, and told me that I could not use <div> inside of a <p></p>, but I have to use <span>. I also am really starting to get the hang of it, as he is giving me clues, and trying to make me figure out the bigger part of it. Smile Best way to learn imo.

There are 7 or so errors originating from the adsense code that I am using for calcgames. I don't want to take the ads down, so right now, I am trying to find out who to contact so I can see about getting permission, or having them give me the code that is xhtml compliant.

There also seems to be some major problems within the webrings, and I am slowly widdling them down. Hopefully, by this weekend, I will have the errors down to less than 20. I did find several errors last night within the html itself that was causing multiple errors at the same time. Maybe some of these one attribute errors will take more than that at a time... One can only wish anyways. Very Happy Laughing
tifreak8x wrote:
Well, I am almost proud of myself...
Why stop there? Go for "I am proud of myself"! You're making some excellent progress with learning Web 2.0 here.

tifreak8x wrote:
There also seems to be some major problems within the webrings...
Yup, they're notorious. You might not be able to remove all of the problems from the webring bar, as some of it is hardcoded by Webring.
not if you have the html versions of the rings boxes, which I have at least 2 of, I might see about adding them all up there in html, not sure though.

And I will be proud of myself totally once I learn more of this stuff. Though workin with weregoose on the channel is fun stuff, and he says he enjoys these questions, especially since I have a tendacy to not ask the same thing every night, like some people that jumped on there a while back... Very Happy
Meh, that's what I hate. I enjoy answering questions for people, but if I have to answer the same question repeatedly, then it gets annoying. I assume you JFGI if you still don't get it after he explained it the first time?
No, I tell him that I dont totally understand, and basically tell him what I do understand of it, and he builds on that and explains what I am missing. He is really good at explaining coding concepts, and has a good grasp on the "how things work". Smile

Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours