As the title already points out, im wondering how I can solve the following equation:

v^2 + 0.3164*v^1.75

Im looking for a way to solve this (for v obviously) without having to write a program for it. Im using the TI-84 Plus. I hope this is the right forum for this question, im new here.
Thanks in advance,
Spitzenberg
You could try to split them in factors:
v^1.75 * (v^0.25 + 0.3y164) = 0 (I assume the equation should equal 0)
Then you can say
v^1.75 = 0 OR (v^0.25 + 0.3164) = 0
I hope this answers your question
Thanks for the reply,
Firstly, yes of course, equals to 0. Secondly I understand what you are doing but that gives out for v the solutions 0 and a complex one. The answer for v in my assignment is 5.7. I m however looking for a way to type this entire thing in my Ti 84 and let it solve the equation for me.
Can you verify that you've written the equation correctly in your first post? 0 is definitely the only real root to the equation as written.
Spitzenberg wrote:
Thanks for the reply,
Firstly, yes of course, equals to 0. Secondly I understand what you are doing but that gives out for v the solutions 0 and a complex one. The answer for v in my assignment is 5.7. I m however looking for a way to type this entire thing in my Ti 84 and let it solve the equation for me.

Well the Ti84 doesnt have a CAS engine so you cant just "type this entire thing in and let it solve it" and get a symbolic result, but you could graph the equation and then use the "zero" took found the in "calc" menu (2nd->trace->2) to let the calculator find the numeric solution for you.

Also, the only place where your equation passes through zero is at x=0, so i dont see how 5.7 can be an answer unless you made a typo.
Use this responsively; we're not at fault if you fail algebra. Wink

There are two ways:
1) Use c4ooo's method.
2) Press [math] then select 'numerical solver'. Enter your equation then enter what you think the answer will be close to (it doesn't need to be accurate), then press [alpha]>[enter].
c4ooo wrote:

Well the Ti84 doesnt have a CAS engine so you cant just "type this entire thing in and let it solve it" and get a symbolic result, but you could graph the equation and then use the "zero" took found the in "calc" menu (2nd->trace->2) to let the calculator find the numeric solution for you.

Also, the only place where your equation passes through zero is at x=0, so i dont see how 5.7 can be an answer unless you made a typo.

Oh yea, my bad, my bad I totally made a mistake. The equation is supposed to be:
39.24 = v^2 + 0.3164*v^1.75
The thing is I bought this calculator ages ago in Highschool and never really used in uni so far but I have this course and on this assignment the teacher literally said to type this in and say the answer (note: students do have some other calculators, maybe CAS ones) so im just wondering how should I solve this on an exam with my TI84

Thanks in advance for responses!
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Use this responsively; we're not at fault if you fail algebra. Wink

There are two ways:
1) Use c4ooo's method.
2) Press [math] then select 'numerical solver'. Enter your equation then enter what you think the answer will be close to (it doesn't need to be accurate), then press [alpha]>[enter].

Ill try to graph it but to your second point, by selecting "numerical solver" do you mean clicking on NUM? if yes, what then? Im sorry, im really newb with this calc.

P.S. Passed algebra with an A without a calculator Wink
Solved it. Thanks for all the help!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours