I would be ecstatic if one of you slightly more-linux-proficient people could help me with this.

I finally acquired my own Wi-Fi card (linksys wmp54gs)for the SFGP dev server (mom and dad wanted it out of the family computer room).

I installed the recommended drivers for it using ndiswrapper, and it shows up fine under iwconfig, but I can't seem to get it to connect to, our even scan our family wi-fi network.

any help?

(I have another USB wi-fi dongle I could use if necessary which is also supposedly compatible with ndiswrapper.)
if it uses the same chipset as my WMP54G v4, there is something better than NDISwrapper, but can't think of the name off the top of my head.
rivereye wrote:
if it uses the same chipset as my WMP54G v4, there is something better than NDISwrapper, but can't think of the name off the top of my head.

oh,

/me smacks self

bcm43xx-fwcutter?
mine is like rt2500 or something for driver.
Unfortunately for you, yours doesn't have any native drivers that I know of. Rivereye, your card is using a different chipset that does have native drivers.

Elf, what distro are you using and how did you install ndiswrapper? when you do ndiswrapper -l does it show up as "driver installed, hardware found"? When the ndiswrapper module is loaded, are there any errors in dmesg? Is your router 802.11B or 802.11G? Does "iwlist wlan0 scan" turn up anything?
Kllrnohj wrote:
Unfortunately for you, yours doesn't have any native drivers that I know of. Rivereye, your card is using a different chipset that does have native drivers.

Elf, what distro are you using and how did you install ndiswrapper? when you do ndiswrapper -l does it show up as "driver installed, hardware found"? When the ndiswrapper module is loaded, are there any errors in dmesg? Is your router 802.11B or 802.11G? Does "iwlist wlan0 scan" turn up anything?

Ubuntu 6.06. ndiswrapper was installed via synaptic. ndiswrapper displays driver installed, hardware found. no errors show up when loading. the router supports both b and g. iwlist wlan0 scan doesn't do anything because the card is on the eth1 interface. iwconfig reveals eth1 as a wifi interface. iwlist eth1 scan doesn't turn up anything. the card is working fine when I boot up in Windows.
elfprince13 wrote:
I would be ecstatic if one of you slightly more-linux-proficient people could help me with this.

I finally acquired my own Wi-Fi card (linksys wmp54gs)for the SFGP dev server (mom and dad wanted it out of the family computer room).

I installed the recommended drivers for it using ndiswrapper, and it shows up fine under iwconfig, but I can't seem to get it to connect to, our even scan our family wi-fi network.

any help?

(I have another USB wi-fi dongle I could use if necessary which is also supposedly compatible with ndiswrapper.)

Edit:Do you have SSID set ar broadcasting on your router?

I have had horriendous problems with linksys. I reccomend buying belkin or dlink. I have gone through 2 Linksys wifi cards(They break easily) and 1 linksys router. I now have a dlink router and a belkin card.
netham45 wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

any help?

I have had horriendous problems with linksys. I reccomend buying belkin or dlink. I have gone through 2 Linksys wifi cards(They break easily) and 1 linksys router. I now have a dlink router and a belkin card.

my dlink USB dongle is the most finicky POS Ive ever dealt with. linksys and belkin have always been reliable for me. the nice thing about Linux, is that it usually is possible to do stuff like this, if you are patient enough, and know what you are doing. unfortunately I haven't had much experience with ndiswrapper in the past, so Im not entirely sure how to get it to work. Neutral
1.Google it.
2.If 1 fails, win the lotto so you can afford support. Smile
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Dapper explains all my problems Very Happy
Cool. You got it to work. Are you estatic?
I was. it was set up perfectly. i turned off my computer for dinner, came back, turned it on, and the settings in my /etc/networks/interfaces files dont work anymore Sad it picks up the access point fine, and finds the network fine, but then ifconfig doesn't show an IPv4 address for it, and there is a complaint in dmesg about no available IPv6 routers. Neutral its configured for an IPv4 static ip address.
Do you have to bring the network up manually....?
proegssilb wrote:
Do you have to bring the network up manually....?

no....

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours